Sailor — Pen And Message Cigar

jasonchickerson

Jason - I don't get how White Rabbit Express works - can't find the ink or Pen & Message on their site. But I'd be interested in a bottle or two of Sailor Cigar.

Basically, they buy it and ship it, for a fee. When it's back in stock, I'll post here. Please follow this thread.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasonchickerson

• fireant

• tinkerteacher

• Calabria

Wow, this is the work of a master ink maker.

Above and beyond the amazing vintage colour, a great deal of skill and artistry went into the making of this ink.

I'd like to buy a bottle just to put on top of a bookshelf and admire it, like a work of art. Unfortunately, as you said it only really works on very premium paper.

Edited by tinkerteacher

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

Wow, this is the work of a master ink maker.

Above and beyond the amazing vintage colour, a great deal of skill and artistry went into the making of this ink.

I'd like to buy a bottle just to put on top of a bookshelf and admire it, like a work of art. Unfortunately, as you said it only really works on very premium paper.

Well, you see the key is to become as obsessed with premium paper as with premium ink. Then your problem is solved. Luckily, I am.

Jasonchickerson:

What is your favorite premium paper, and why?

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Jasonchickerson:

What is your favorite premium paper, and why?

At the moment, Original Crown Mill Pure Cotton is the one I use almost every day for home-made cards, letters, and copperplate practice. It feels like velvet in the hand. It makes ink look better; they show more depth, more complexity, and sheen more. Plus, it's the best I've found so far for line and wash drawing (making cards or sketching practice) and it takes a pointed calligraphy pen the best. There is no amount of ink you can throw at it that is too much.

The only downsides of this paper: that velvety texture really soaks up the ink, so you need a wet pen and a lubricated ink. It is expensive, about $20 per 50 page A4 pad, $13 for 50 page A5 pad. I am going to look into Cranes's cotton paper, which at $65 per ream of 500 is much cheaper by the sheet.

For more "everyday" premium paper, I use the Rhodia dotpad number 16 every day for class notes, shopping lists, etc. If you haven't try the Rhodia paper, it is high cotton, artificial vellum.

For a paper that isn't featured in my review above, I LOVE Stilman and Birn Gamma series notebooks. They are incredible, some of the best paper out there. Fabriano Ecoqua is even better than the Rhodia pads, though they are glue-bound, which I hate.

And that's probably enough. :P

Thanks for the info!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

jasonchickerson, now that is the very definition of 'premium paper'. You have good taste. If you get a chance, check out Apica's new A. Silky 865 paper (love these Japanese names), lovely stuff at a decent price.

Please let me know when Pen & Message Cigar is back in stock, I must just may pick up several a bottle, despite its price tag, as this colour ticks so many of the boxes on my ink lust love list.

Shipping, though, would have to be apart from your group shipping; me being in the land of sand, camels, and oil refineries.

Edited by tinkerteacher

Thanks for the info - I'll check back to see if there is news about it being in stock.

I really like Alwych "All Weather" notebooks - very sturdy, bleed-proof paper, old-fashioned ivory and not too slick (cf Rhodia or Clairefontaine) - you can order them, with some difficulty, online (the Scots are notoriously temperamental.)

The Italians make good writing paper, too. My favorite is Monocromo notebooks by Pigna, and while they're super cheap (made for school kids), they're also impossible to get unless you go to Italy.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Thank you for the link but I can't read Japanese! I really like the pen&tea theme though!!

This is where google translate comes in. Also, The Chrome browser will automatically translate the webpage for you. I am unaffiliated with Google.

Thanks for the review. Why does Sailor dangle all these unobtainable inks in front of me?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Word from Pen&Message via White Rabbit is that they have another batch of Cigar on order from Sailor due sometime probably mid to late April, but no firm time. No reservations or pre-orders accepted.

Word from Pen&Message via White Rabbit is that they have another batch of Cigar on order from Sailor due sometime probably mid to late April, but no firm time. No reservations or pre-orders accepted.

Thanks for the notice. I guess I can stop checking the website daily. :huh:

I wonder though ...

How hard and expensive would it be to order your own special ink mix from Sailor if you were, to say, get enough people in on a group buy?

Sailor seems remarkable conciliatory about creating absolutely amazing special mixes in small batches for small little Japanese corner shops.

I wonder though ...

How hard and expensive would it be to order your own special ink mix from Sailor if you were, to say, get enough people in on a group buy?

Sailor seems remarkable conciliatory about creating absolutely amazing special mixes in small batches for small little Japanese corner shops.

judging depending on the ink bottle first its normally 2000 yen heck the ink clinics are just worth as much for a bottle of course maybe the lowest they can go is 1500 yen

I wonder though ...

I'm sure it's possible. However, I imagine that the point of offering these little corner shops bespoke inks is a kind of marketing. It gets the shop excited about Sailor ink, which sells more Sailor ink. But what do I know.

While searching for online info that would answer my thought, or the contact info. for someone to harass politely inquire with, I stumbled across this.

http://www.sailor.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2703press1.pdf

Wow, Sailor had a good year.

Also, ran across this too:

http://www.sailor.co.jp/event

These look amazing. I am so jealous of you Algester.

Edited by tinkerteacher

Now guys, don't laugh :lticaptd: but I've had a good go at mixing up this glorious, glorious ink.

The mix, called New Year's Day Gray goes down really well, splits beautifully when washed over and hasn't clogged up my TWSBI 540 in the month it's been hanging around inside it. :)

I know it's not really feasible or economical otherwise, but for those of you who happen to have these or similar inks in your equivalent "Drawer of Shame", here's my recipe:

2 parts Waterman's Inspired Blue

2 parts Diamine Macassar

2 parts R&K Helianthus

1 part Diamine Ancient Copper

1 part Noodler's Zhivago

1 part Diamine Emerald

9 parts Private Reserve Gray Flannel.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_sailor_cigar_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_new_years_day_gray.jpg

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_sailor_cigar_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_new_years_day_gray.jpg

Wow, that looks close. Does it go down green? Does it sheen? And it's hard to judge from the smallish wash, but it looks more green and less of that sky blue? Perhaps one part Souten or or R&K Blu Mare?

I don't have half those inks, but that took some investment. What fun. Thanks.

Now guys, don't laugh :lticaptd: but I've had a good go at mixing up this glorious, glorious ink.

No laughing here.... I am still picking my jaw from the floor... THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!! .. I can tell you seen the chroma of Cigar... is all blue/yellow/green... etc... I am only missing the emerald... but I will certainly try this sometime today...

WOW... JUST.. WOW !!!!!! BRAVO TAS!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,