Newb's Ink Haul W/ Quick And Dirty Tests.

minaa

16877242912_45609eafc6_c.jpg

This arrived today. *glee!*

I have three more inks incoming: Edelstein Amethyst, whenever it arrives from Germany, and Diamine Oxblood and Red Dragon (reds, maroons, and dark purples... all right up my alley) from Goulet Pens.

post-121431-0-37282300-1426907402_thumb.jpeg

And here's my quick and dirty sample sheet. I had a Raphael watercolor brush sitting by that I use for other inks, so I wet it and used it. The first little "kosumosu" comment was my attempt to dip a pen that apparently wasn't clean. Oh well!

Tested on Midori MD notebook paper, which seems to hold wets really well. No major bleed-throughs.

These inks are really easily watered down when loaded in a brush, it seems, which is why there are multiple tests. Please excuse the messy Japanese--I can write it, but I have no experience with calligraphy, let alone writing with a brush!

Thanks for looking and sharing new-stuff glee with me :)

Edited by minaa

Looking for Japanese and French language pen pals!

Snail Mail Exchange Partipant. Letter Writer Alliance member.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minaa

• amberleadavis

• jasonchickerson

• Lou Erickson

What's tucked in your Montverde box? More happiness?

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Always more happiness. My Invincia Deluxe. :) :) I need to take pictures of it.

Congrats on your haul. This addiction certainly makes postal carriers popular men and women. :) You have some excellent goodies there; do you have a favorite so far?

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

A very good collection Minaa.. My one minor advice would be to transfer a small quantity of ink to a small container for dipping brushes and nibs.. Would keep the bottles safe from contamination..

Have fun!

Thank you for the tip, Chettiar :) I will keep it in mind.

ScienceChick, out of these? From a purely color standpoint, Garnet is gorgeous. I am also enjoying tsuki-yo, as well. I just received my Diamine Red Dragon and Oxblood as well (not pictured), and they are also awesome, and currently queued up in my pens. Kirisame and kosubosu are also lovely, but aren't in any writers, yet.

GREAT HAUL!!

Now, do NOT dip or fill any brushes or brush pens directly from the ink bottles. No matter how hard you try, natural brushes have little organisms that don't play well with ink. As advised above, decant small amounts to vials and fill from the vials.

If you just received these and don't know if they were used, add a drop or two of a biocide (see other threads, I like 4% phenol). You have years of ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That's great info, thanks! Seems like I should add a drop of biocide anyway, since I used my brush. These are all brand new ink bottles, however--which should have biocide in them? I look forward to enjoying this for writing and art. :)

Edited by minaa

I'd biocide it all just to be safe.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Would it affect the acidity too greatly? Part of why I picked up a number of iroshizuku inks is the archival quality of the ink.

Read up on Sam's Biocide Shoot Out. You aren't adding enough biocide to change the pH significantly.

I just opened my Kosumosu, to get next month's Iroshizuku Group Reviews posted, and it's pink! Really pink. A nice color, and I liked it better when I found the little flower it is named for. I hope you like it, too - you've got a big shiny bottle.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I'm almost floored by how pink it is. I'm morbidly curious though, and almost want to buy other pinks to see how pink it is... (Akkerman's pulchri pink looks really interesting, too).

And now I am looking at oranges...

I'm a goner. ;P High quality inks are so nice!

amberleadavis, good to know. I'll look into procuring some, then.

That's great info, thanks! Seems like I should add a drop of biocide anyway, since I used my brush. These are all brand new ink bottles, however--which should have biocide in them? I look forward to enjoying this for writing and art. :)

I'd biocide it all just to be safe.

I've been dipping watercolor brushes directly into ink bottles for years. I've never seen a single case of SITB that didn't come that way from the manufacturer. And I do it A LOT. By the way, I also keep my brushes very, very clean and live in a dry climate, temperate climate.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ6402.jpg

Please exercise caution when using biocides such as phenol. They are just as effective against humans as they are against molds. I'd rather lose a bottle to SITB than introduce phenols into my house.

What do use to clean your brushes?