Meisterstück Magic Number Nine

Opooh

At last I found some time to start a new topic on FPN, that's the problem with a time consuming job. Just a couple of days ago, our member James ( thank you for the excellent idea of the Review Index ) made a suggestion to use the Iphone. Well, a bit less quality but much quicker to have the job done than a Nikon.

Since I am obsessed by the number 9 nib and Montblanc seems to keep this one reserved for the 149 ( yes there are the Hemingway and the Dumas, but that's all folks ) one has to go vintage to find some other 9ers.

The only 2 other models with this nib are the 139 and the 129. In the beginning I didn't even know there was a 129. During the search of a decent 139, one of the welknown restorers said he had a 129 for sale. That decision was quickly made.

So here the 3 are together Montblancs trinity: 129-139-149.

All have the 9 nib and silver rings. The 129 is a pushknobfiller, both the two others have the telescopic pistonfiller.The inkfeed is the skislope one on all 3. All are in regular use, as you can see on the 139 inkwindow.

Here's some pictures. There is also a writing example of all 3, sorry but my handwriting isn't as good as the pens are, professional deformity.post-102554-0-78259700-1426707701_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-63358100-1426707761_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-04641000-1426707828_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-57408200-1426707883_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-96359100-1426707948_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-05536200-1426708022_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-48933200-1426708127_thumb.jpgpost-102554-0-76303200-1426708236_thumb.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Opooh

• Michael R.

• zaddick

• Jeff_H

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my opinion 3 of the best pens money can buy. A real joy to see all 3 together. Thanks Opooh for sharing these great pens

Thanks you for sharing. This is both a great, and helpful for the future, post as the 129 is much harder to find than the others and there are fewer photo comparisons here.

For my money, I still find the 139 to be the most appealing. I love the contoured section, the flat top and the long ink window filled by that great piston mechanism.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

What a wonderful trio of pens Opooh. Thank you for the pictures and write up.

They look to be in fabulous condition.

Does the 129 have an ink window?

The comparison shot is informative. There does not seem to be a huge difference in size between the 129/139?

Thank you for posting pictures and handwriting samples. Like you I love the number 9 nibs. Still looking for a nice 129.

What a wonderful trio of pens Opooh. Thank you for the pictures and write up.

They look to be in fabulous condition.

Does the 129 have an ink window?

The comparison shot is informative. There does not seem to be a huge difference in size between the 129/139?

The 129 has no ink window.

The 129 is about 5 mm shorter than the 139, it is also a bit smaller like the 138.

Same as with children, no favorites. I like them all.

Ok, then which one is the "best behaved"? :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

In my opinion 3 of the best pens money can buy. A real joy to see all 3 together. Thanks Opooh for sharing these great pens

Strongly agree, apparently I just spent 46 minutes examining the photos from Mr. Opooh. Wonderful, but I work to deadlines, and this is not helping!

Thank you for sharing your achievement in collecting, you encourage the Montblanc aficionado. These pens are a tribute to the profound talents of the past designers of the Montblanc flagship writing instruments.

Such an informative and visually appealing post for me, thank you. I need to love vintage pens like I need a hole in the head. Your pictures do not help my predicament.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

What an absolute treat. Thank you Opooh. :notworthy1: The Trinity side by side, in one picture. Thank you.

If I were so fortunate, I think I would spend all day simply admiring these magnificent pens. Size 9 nibs and silver cap rings :puddle: ; three generations of Montblanc's flagship pen. Stuff that dreams are made of. :cloud9:

Pavoni.

Thanks again everyone.

Indeed, Pavoni, for me it is magic number nine: the climax of german craftsmanship of the interbellum.

Ok, then which one is the "best behaved"? :)

Given their age, their behaviour is excellent. The favourit however is not on the pictures, it is a 139 with a palladium M nib, writes like a dream.

Many thanks for showing those great pens to us!

The 129 is one of my grail pens and I'm still hoping to find one in the wild ;-)

I think the only 129 I've seen in real life was in the Montblanc museum.

it is very interesting to see the 129 side by side with the 139 so one can see the different dimensions. From my experience with 124 vs 134, 126 vs 136 and 128 vs. 138 I can imagine that the 129 feels much different than the 139. I can imagine it being a wonderfully lightweight but large pen so it should be very comfortable to use.

Enjoy them in good health!

Cheers

Michael