Noodler's Apache Sunset Review

Ambrose Bierce

I'm gonna preface this by saying that I was slightly disappointed by Apache Sunset. I was expecting it to be this crazy high shading ink, with almost unreasonable amounts of color variation. This was not the case; it wasn't even the highest shader in the package I got. Regardless, I really like the ink, and I will probably end up with a bottle of it soon. If you like orange (like you really have to like it), and like a pretty good bit of shading then this ink is good for you. But, I would strongly suggest against this ink if you don't like orange, or are only getting it for it's "massive" shading capabilities. Enjoy the pictures!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gQYsR712S0w/VQJLVnMq0SI/AAAAAAAAAZs/h3Kx-qu8Q38/s1600/DSCN0714.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BwDl3_6GNEw/VQJMEtsGqDI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/gbksvDbVnfM/s1600/DSCN0746.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YKC-lX93MDg/VQJLg3ijLsI/AAAAAAAAAaA/CBhyt1ehHb0/s1600/DSCN0716.JPG

If you liked the review and wanna see more like it check out my blog at http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morphling27

• Ambrose Bierce

• Intellidepth

• Inkydinkydog

This looks pretty on par with what I got in my sampler. Maybe mine looks a touch redder in some parts. Definitely not much yellow though.

What other inks do you find have more colour variation? Not challenging you on that, I just want to order some of those!

What other ink did you get that you find shades more?

Also - your sample looks like mine - you get yellow, orange, and red at the least, with so much in between. I mean... I don't think we've invented an ink that lays down the rainbow at once, yet!

Personally I think that Noodler's Golden Brown and Diamine Autumn Oak have just as drastic, if not more, shading. I think that AP is lovely, but I was expecting more out of it.

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

I agree on Golden Brown. That ink shades like crazy too. But I would say Apache Sunset shades more than Autumn Oak, based on your two reviews.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Personally I think that Noodler's Golden Brown and Diamine Autumn Oak have just as drastic, if not more, shading. I think that AP is lovely, but I was expecting more out of it.

I haven't used either ink, brown inks are eh to me. The autumn oak I always though was more red and orange, less yellow that Apache Sunset.

Maybe living out here in Arizona seeing those sunsets, is why it speaks to me and truly shows off what one looks like out here.

I haven't used either ink, brown inks are eh to me. The autumn oak I always though was more red and orange, less yellow that Apache Sunset. ...

Agreed on the oranges. But I like Noodler's Golden Brown, too. But Apache Sunset shades more than all of them. So does Noodler's Habanero.

I wanted my Apache Sunset to shade more, but was slightly disappointed that it didn't. It doesn't even come out beautifully orange with this yellow highlighting you've got going on in your samples. When I draw with it, it comes out more brown than anything else. Maybe I just got a bad bottle?

I wanted my Apache Sunset to shade more, but was slightly disappointed that it didn't. It doesn't even come out beautifully orange with this yellow highlighting you've got going on in your samples. When I draw with it, it comes out more brown than anything else. Maybe I just got a bad bottle?

That happened with mine, then I switched the paper (tomoe river) and the pen (twsbi 580 1.1) and the magic happened. I am guessing it takes some expirmentation with different pens and papers to find the sweet spot.

Can you adjust your pen so it's a little less wet? That'll help. Your block letters are showing good shading. The flex needs less ink flow, or faster writing.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

When I draw with it, it comes out more brown than anything else. Maybe I just got a bad bottle?

If there were any residual traces of blue (tiny amounts) or blue derivatives (eg green) in the pen when it was filled with Apache, this may happen.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Agreed on the oranges. But I like Noodler's Golden Brown, too. But Apache Sunset shades more than all of them. So does Noodler's Habanero.

I've wanted to try that and Cayenne - simply because the samples I've seen show it looks awesome dried.

To the rest of this thread - I've put my Apache sunset in a pen I probably should take better care of but don't - I'm sure it had residual ink in it. It's always shaded and come out beautifully for me, on good and bad paper and even some cardboard (doodling on a calendar backing). It's an amazing ink that works very well for me.