What Is Your Absolute Joy About This Passion?

fountainpenlady

Finally, through no pre planning, I have wonderfully just finished cleaning 5 of my 8 writing beauties. Getting them ready for the next fill. Next step is to decide which ink will fill each pen. JOY!

Two others were already waiting for the rest and have already been cleaned. There is only my Lamy still inked.

Literally, standing at my kitchen sink, transfer pipette between finger tips, sink stopper in place so nothing crucial from any pen drops down to the abyss. While blissfully I cleaned out remnant of residual ink from each pen, thought, "wonder what others consider their most wonderful aspect of enjoying pens, paper, ink, etc.?"

Having several, this one is one for me right now. The pleasure of the first alphabet letter written, once I have filled a favorite fountain pen with new ink; flow of the ink onto perfect paper; sound, feel when I open a new off white, unlined, quasi glossy, fountain pen friendly journal; sheer giddiness, when I open a brand new ink bottle.

Well, as you can read, these are ones off the edges of my hat brim.

What is your moment? What a way to begin, continue a new week, huh? Enjoy it and sharing your perfect blissful moment. :wub:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• The Blue Knight

• VivienR

• Reevers

Even just basic writing becomes poetry when ink finds it's home on paper. Thought becomes a visual testament. That is my joy.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Even just basic writing becomes poetry when ink finds it's home on paper. Thought becomes a visual testament. That is my joy.

I totally agree.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

For me the joy is that I can actually write without pain. Writing with BPs and Pencils always caused me problems with my hand. With fountain pens I can take hours of notes without my hands cramping up. I actually enjoy writing now, and in college I'm going a lot of it.

"Oh deer."

For me the joy is that I can actually write without pain. Writing with BPs and Pencils always caused me problems with my hand. With fountain pens I can take hours of notes without my hands cramping up. I actually enjoy writing now, and in college I'm going a lot of it.

:lticaptd: Oh, how well I remember. How well I do still remember! :yikes:

Edited by fountainpenlady

It brings back nostalgic memories. When I write letters, my Mother comes to my mind. I see her sitting at her desk writing letters to my Father who was in the air force.

I confess to abandoning the fountain pen in favor of a ballpoint. I bought one of the first Parker's, and used up no end of refills writing letters, until I lost it.

A relative passed away and left a collection of fountain pens from the 1930s. I searched the internet and found pen and ink alive and well, stumbled on this forum searching for writing paper. I restored these pens five years ago, and realized the joy of writing with pen and ink I once took so much for granted.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

For me, absolute joy from this passion comes when I am writing, and I manage to execute a letter, particularly an ornamental capital, exactly as I'd hoped. When a nib and my practice simultaneously deliver on the promise to reward. Seductive, addictive, absolute joy.

Pavoni.

Finally, through no pre planning, I have wonderfully just finished cleaning 5 of my 8 writing beauties. Getting them ready for the next fill. Next step is to decide which ink will fill each pen. JOY!

Two others were already waiting for the rest and have already been cleaned. There is only my Lamy left still with ink.

Literally, standing at my kitchen sink, transfer pipette between finger tips, sink stopper in place so nothing crucial from any pen drops down to the abyss. While blissfully I cleaned out remnant of residual ink from each pen, thought, "wonder what others consider their most wonderful aspect of enjoying pens, ink, paper, etc.?"

Having several, this one is one for me right now. The pleasure of the first alphabet letter written, once I have filled a favorite fountain pen with new ink; flow of the ink onto perfect paper; sound, feel when I open a new off white, unlined, quasi glossy, fountain pen friendly journal; sheer giddiness, when I open a brand new ink bottle.

Well, as you can read, these are ones off the top of my hat.

What is your moment? What a way to begin, continue a new week, huh? Enjoy it and sharing your perfect blissful moment. :wub:

Really, beyond how wonderful the pens and inks are in themselves...the people. For the most part, pleasant, friendly, and generous.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

The thing I love best about pens, inks, and paper is writing letters. I love choosing my favourite combinations of nibs, inks and paper for each letter, and then sitting at my desk in the peace and quiet for an hour or two to commune with a favourite person. I love the look of the written pages and then the plump addressed and stamped envelope sitting in the holder to remind me to mail it.

When I write letters I think not only about the recipient, but of my parents and other older family members and remember them sitting at the dining room or kitchen table so often after the evening meal, writing airmail letters to family and friends far away. (I think that's why I like very light papers so much.) I even remember my much younger pre-email self, when I spent most Sundays with a pot of fresh coffee, writing a stack of letters to friends and family.

Great topic, thanks for starting it, fountainpenlady.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

For me it is the memories. I am gradually piecing together a collection of pens I have known, loved and lost. My most recent purchase a Parker 51 In burgundy. i have searched for the original, which belonged to my late husband, in vain. After a long time in the loft and going through old letters I still could not find his pen so I have ordered a new/old one from a classic pen site.

I love the pretty, pretty ink colors. No matter how painfully bad my rough drafts are when read, they are lovely to look at.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

The nearly effortless act (when the act is at its best) that leaves behind images and observations of my own invention that may be pondered upon for generations.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry- Mark Twain

The company of like minded nut cases...

See you did not have to go there! :lticaptd: :lticaptd: At least when you do something which others would consider ridiculous, you can come here and we understand.

Same here. That nagging pain in my hand is gone now, and I've begun to enjoy long periods of continuous writing again.

The moment when I pull/screw off the cap and the beautiful nib shines up in the light, than the moment when its touch the paper and inks flows out, shining its wetness than dry on the paper. The effortless writing as the nib glides on the paper. Oh beauty!

The creativity sparked by a simple uncapping of a much loved pen and ink combo . . .

:thumbup:

It's one of the rare products you can use these days where craftmanship still matter.

There aren't many things that are handmade these days where the skill of the builder makes a definitive impact on the experience of using the product.

I like the excess it represents, how ridiculous it is to use an expensive fountain pen when a simple pen does the job almost as well. A fountain pen is NEVER objectively worth the price. It's a passion product, and for me it's nice to stop being so objective once in a while.