Need A New Rollerball

Hey all!

I'm in need of a new rollerball. I love my fp's, but sometimes they just aren't the most practical thing to use in class. I've previously used the Pilot G2, but I'm looking for something a bit nicer, something not as disposable.

I've been looking into the Lamy Safari or Al Star rollerballs, but I don't quite see how the price tag is justified. What makes a rollerball like the Safari so much better than a G2 that Lamy charges $25? Also does anyone know a better rollerball in a similar price range?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RNHC

• tonydent84

• Chthulhu

• Zookie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you considered the Pilot G2 Limited? It's much nicer than the plastic-bodied G2s and sells for ~$9 at Wal-Mart.

Have you considered the Retro 51 Tornado? can be had for around USD 20 and comes with a dynamite Schmidt sourced refill in a very well made body... It also takes the Parker Jotter style refll, opening the door to many interesting possibilities. On other other hand, I am also toying with the idea of Lamy Rollerballs...

I'll second the suggestion to go with a Retro 51 Tornado. I have three of them currently. They are great to have on hand when I don't have a fountain pen handy. In fact, I carry one clipped to my shirt as my daily carry as my fountain pens are in Nockco cases in my Saddleback briefcase the majority of the time. Lots of selection to be had in the Tornado line.

The case is the expense.

Since you like the G-2 do some searches for pens/cases you like that will hold with no to little modification of the refill. Might suggest looking at cases that will take a Uni Signo or Jetstream refill. They are nice writers too.

Another option is the all metal Parker Jotter ballpoint, a classic, ... has many nice refills (gel, space pen, reg ballpoint, etc) made to fit it's cartridge design.

Give yourself a month to explore, research. The exploring is fun - then plop down your money. Don't get a case and then find out the refills are not to your liking, expensive or hard to find.

This is what I don't get... months ago I asked for a recomendation for a tough but smooth BP and the Jotter came up. I have one - it feels like a $2 pen, the stock refill is mediocre at best and the space pen refill is even worse. Why suffer with quasi-junk when there are better pens out there? You only write with one hand at a time (generally) - why not get the nicest pen you can to make that experience pleasurable? How many here have cheap pens they have "graduated" from to better things? Do your homework and buy the nicest pen you can - it is better than buying a few mediocre ones that will end up in a drawer...

It's the refill that's important. The pen body is just a holder. I take it you want a nicer pen body.

If you like Pilot G2, there are several independent pen makers that makes clickers and capped pens that hold Pilot G2 refills: BigiDesign and Tactile Turn, for example. Check out pen blogs like Clicky Post or Ed Jelley blog.

There are many pens from many brands that will hold Parker-type refills which also come in many types: regular ballpoint to gel to pressurized refills. Don't even waste time with ballpoints if you are used to G2s. My favorite is Itoya Gel Needlepoint refills that I find smoother than Pilot G2.

Also, rollerballs are nice and smooth but the refills are more expensive and the choices are limited. They can also leak since liquid ink is used.

Gel refills like Pilot G2 has the positives and none of the negatives of a rollerball: smooth with myriad of color choices and more economical and more widely available.

Today my Pilot Hi-tech V7 cartridge system pen arrived.

Writes really well and comes with three spare cartridges - worth a try?

The Retro 51 is a great pen, but be careful about carrying it in a shirt pocket. I accidentally put it in my shirt pocket while open and lost a shirt.

The Jotter is nice because so many refills are available in that template from non-Parker companies.

Both the Jotter and the 51 tend to be narrow at the end, so writing with them is uncomfortable if you like some heft to your pens.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

I know this isn't the Cross thread, but have any of have any experience with the Cross Century I rollerball? I've been thinking about adding one of these to my line up.

To answer the original question, have you tried out TUL GL1?http://http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/1373923/TUL-Retractable-Gel-Pens-07-mm/ They're similar to the G2, but the G2 refills don't fit in them. What about the Cross Click gel pen? I don't have one, but I'm partial to that look myself, just as an idea. http://www.cross.com/click-classic-black-gel-ink-pen.aspx

The Retro 51 is a great pen, but be careful about carrying it in a shirt pocket. I accidentally put it in my shirt pocket while open and lost a shirt.

I lost a summer suit jacket from Schmidt capless rollerball leaking. That pen ended up being one of my most expensive pen if I include the cost of replacement suit. :P

I completely forgot that Waterman rollerball pens take Pilot G2s without any modification. It's a drop in.

Here are some of my pens that take Pilot G2s without any modification:

• Waterman Hemisphere rollerball (capped)
  • Rotring 600 rollerball (capped)
  • Montblanc Slimline rollerball (capped and OOP)
  • Ohto FINE rollerball (capped and OOP?)
  • Tactile Turn Mover (clicker)
  • BigiDesign Ti-Click Classic (clicker)

• 2 months later...

How about the Pilot Metropolitan or MR2 or Cocoon [depending where you are the name changes for different markets], all use the Pilot G2 gel rollerball refill. I've just bought a White [Tiger pattern band]. and I'm very impressed. Solid metal construction and the reliability of the G2 refill. Also in the animal print series = Gold [Lizard], Blue [Leopard], & Black [Crocodile]. For £11.99 [Amazon]

• 2 weeks later...

I know this isn't the Cross thread, but have any of have any experience with the Cross Century I rollerball? I've been thinking about adding one of these to my line up.

To answer the original question, have you tried out TUL GL1?http://http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/1373923/TUL-Retractable-Gel-Pens-07-mm/ They're similar to the G2, but the G2 refills don't fit in them. What about the Cross Click gel pen? I don't have one, but I'm partial to that look myself, just as an idea. http://www.cross.com/click-classic-black-gel-ink-pen.aspx

The Cross pens look good and work well initially, but they take a proprietary refill that isn't sold in most stores and the refills tend not to write for very long.

I bought 2 Rotring Skynn pens, sans refill, for about 3.50 USD each.

Added red & black 0.5 Avant Pro (staples) rollerball refills that cost $1 each.

They are very nice pens. Comfortable and very smooth to write with, not to mention the really cool design.

I enjoy using them !!

Doug

I love the Retro 51 Rollerballs! Just all around solid pens, and come in tons of styles, but as has been stated, the tip is quite narrow and could get uncomfortable.