Montblanc Rollerball Refill Alternatives

brucelee

How much ink you add will depend on how empty the cartridge is. Unfortunately, unlike an ink cartridge or piston filler with this feature, there is no ink level window. You can certainly see from the length and diameter that the capacity is about 1 ml. If you are just topping up and need to use it right away, don't overfill it. Otherwise there is no problem with over saturating the sponge. The excess just flows out of the breather hole near the tip. Make sure that if you overfill you don't do this over your 18th century persian carpet. If you notice ink overflowing out of the breather hole wipe of the excess and let it sit upside down in an empty glass for a few hours or overnight. The sponge will absorb the excess ink, especially if it has been dry for awhile. You will note that a fully filled cartridge will last much longer than a new one purchased at the store.

Note the experience above with using ink from other manufacturers. Unless you remove the sponge and rinse out all of the ink there may be a reaction between inks of different manufacturers. Differences in pH, salt concentration, pigment type, or lubricants may cause the two inks to react and precipitate. No problem really, just throw it away and use a new cartridge. If you do this and find an incompatibility please note it here so others avoid the same incompatibility issues. I have never had a problem using MB Royal Blue as a fill up.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Nut

• suhao

• macball

• Inked

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I originally discovered fountain pens while trying to figure out how to refill a MB rollerball cartridge. I've yet to refill the cartridge but now own many fountain pens.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, and I know this is an old thread. I hope someone is getting notifications for it...

I have had great success using a Pilot G3 refill in a Montblanc rollerball pen. They are the same size, with the exception of the G3 not having threads on it like an original Montblanc does. However, the plastic on the G3 where the threads need to be can be put there, and it will "screw" in to the Montblanc just fine. I found a 4.5mm X 0.5 thread die on eBay and it works great. I think it was like $7 to $8. Now this is for the "regular size" rollerball, not the LeGrand. I have a Montbland LeGrand rollerball, and I will try to figure out the thread size for that one. (It looks to be a bit larger in diameter) and will post something when I am successful in putting a G3 in the LeGrand.

Also, I find the "bold" G3s to write very smoothly compared to the "regular / 0.7" G3s. Unfortunately, the "bold" ones I have only been able to find them in Black, Blue, Red and Green.

Hello RichA. This is a subject that comes up every now and again. I have, with varying degrees of sucess, refilled Le Grand rollerballs in the past and have also been on the 'adapting' quest on many occasions :rolleyes:

Now then heres my latest find. The Pentel 0.7 Energel rollerball refill is a great writer and lasts a bit as well and fits the 162 Le Grand with minimal messing, literally a quick 'shave' with a razor blade, place small plastic 'thing' out of donor pen mech and thats it. Refill end protrusion can be adjusted by how much you shave off bearing in mind once its gone you cant put it back......

Pictures below maybe in the wrong order but sure you can unravel them oh and would be interested to know what die is required to 'thread' further plastic victims I have my eye on :)

fpn_1519997691__mb1_1.jpg

fpn_1519997729__mb1_2.jpg

fpn_1519997761__mb1_3.jpg

fpn_1519997789__mb1_4.jpg

fpn_1519997811__mb1_5.jpg

fpn_1519997834__mb1_6.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hi Pen Nut,

I just got my 5.0 X 0.5 die, and it is too small for the LeGrand. I am getting a 5.5 X 0.5 and I will let you know how that fits when I receive it.

Thanks for the information on the Pentel EnerGel. I should have them in my eager hands in a day or so. Anxious to hack one of those to fit in a LeGrand.

Hi.

I have an MB "Slim line" rollerball, and found that the refill from a Pilot "FriXion clicker 07" rollerball fits perfectly. No need for any trimming.

I believe the original refill on a Slimline is the same size as on a LeGrand.

Martti

Try the jinhao rollerball refill. Very inexpensive, work great and they even have the treads to screw into the rollerball. Perfect fit!!!!

Edited by ncpenfan

I received a 5.5 X 0.5 die and it IS the correct size for the LeGrand. I also got some EnerGel refills and they fit awesome (no die needed of course). Thanks for that tip.

I also want to try NCPENFAN and KYNAEILIJAE's ideas for other types of refills that would fit.

Onto a new "refill" idea...

Next, I've got some nice and smooth Kaweco Soul D1 Ballpoint Pen Refill - 1.2 mm. It is a short (about 2 5/8 inches total length) ballpoint refill. Refill is also available in 0.8 and 1.0 mm if you like a finer point, but I think the 1.2 is the smoothest). And I'm thinking how can I "build something up" to fit this in a MB RB... roll tape around it; lots of tissue paper... and then it hit me. Cut a 1/4 inch wooden dowel to length, and drill a hole on the end. That Kaweco pen refill is about 3/32 inch diameter, and starting with the smallest bit I had, and working up I made this...

fpn_1521505627__20180319_185119a.jpg

And because you are drilling the hole for the refill, you can easily adjust the amount of relief/exposure of the pen tip there is. Only drill out the depth you need. It needs a spring to keep it back in the pen.

I don't think I spent 20 minutes on this total. Now once I have this refill "holder", easy to change out this short "D-1" refill.

Here is a pict of the refill "out of" the dowel...

fpn_1521505606__20180319_185143a.jpg

Honestly, this didn't take hardly any time at all. I spent probably 2X as long making this post!!

Thanks,

Rich A.

I like rollerball pens! I have two MB rollers a 163 and the Boheme. I also love LeGrand's, fountain pens and ballpoints, I have a 161 LeGrand ballpoin in Bordeaux, fortunately these pens use the same refill as other MB ballpoints. I did, though, stay away from the LeGrand rollerball because of the refill. My Boheme rollerball is "fatter" than my 163 so for me, it fills the LeGrand feel in my hand. And uses the same refill as my 163. By the way, I have used other brand ballpoint refills, and did't like them at all. Just My experience.

• 2 months later...

I have gone a different direction and have used a 3D printer to print adaptors that allows me to use Parker ballpoint refills which also comes in gel ink to fit my LeGrand.

How can I contact you? I really need that!

How can I contact you? I really need that!

+1 how can I contact you also? My wife and I could really use those adaptors. We are big fans of MB and gel refills. Would be nice to be able to combine both

• 3 months later...

+1 how can I contact you also? My wife and I could really use those adaptors. We are big fans of MB and gel refills. Would be nice to be able to combine both

I would be very interested in getting a few of these adapters as well.

I was very pleased to find that the Pentel Energel refills shown by Pen Nut above fit into Montblanc ballpoints.

No trimming of plastic at the writing end like was needed for the MB rollerball pens - just cut 10-15mm off the tail end to match the length of the MB ballpoint refills.

The 0.7mm liquid gel refills (code LR7) put down a really nice dark line; dries almost instantly; very smooth; no skipping or trouble starting.... A significant improvement over the MB refills on my opinion... very happy!

• 2 years later...
On 9/22/2018 at 9:10 AM, mfluder said:

I was very pleased to find that the Pentel Energel refills shown by Pen Nut above fit into Montblanc ballpoints.

No trimming of plastic at the writing end like was needed for the MB rollerball pens - just cut 10-15mm off the tail end to match the length of the MB ballpoint refills.

The 0.7mm liquid gel refills (code LR7) put down a really nice dark line; dries almost instantly; very smooth; no skipping or trouble starting.... A significant improvement over the MB refills on my opinion... very happy!

OK, so a friend had a Pentel pen and I asked if I could have it to try an experiment .... the one you mention above.

I lined up the MB refill with the Pentel, cut off the over length and the Pentel won't even stick it's head out....way to short.

Tried it on a Boheme and a Fitzgerald and no luck.

Am I missing something?

Inked

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 3:55 AM, Inked said:

OK, so a friend had a Pentel pen and I asked if I could have it to try an experiment .... the one you mention above.

I lined up the MB refill with the Pentel, cut off the over length and the Pentel won't even stick it's head out....way to short.

Tried it on a Boheme and a Fitzgerald and no luck.

Am I missing something?

Inked

Hmm.. maybe it’s a different EnerGel refill, and not the LR7?

Here’s mine (the green LR7 in the middle has couple of wraps of tape around the white part so the ballpoint spring sits nice and snug):

6B515531-741E-428A-AAAB-17ED982A9538.thumb.jpeg.a3f83eaa08a5134f579c8af717f1ecb3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 8:44 AM, mfluder said:

Hmm.. maybe it’s a different EnerGel refill, and not the LR7?

Here’s mine (the green LR7 in the middle has couple of wraps of tape around the white part so the ballpoint spring sits nice and snug):

6B515531-741E-428A-AAAB-17ED982A9538.thumb.jpeg.a3f83eaa08a5134f579c8af717f1ecb3.jpeg

Yes that is the one.

The LR7 is 0.7mm and I used an LR10 which is 1.0mm

As I said I tried it on a Boheme and a Fitzgerald with no luck.

I also just tried it in a 161, and it will not even go down into the spring area.

Seems like all these pens have different interiors, and you just got lucky with the .925 Solitaire model you have. 

Thank you for your reply.

Inked

23 hours ago, Inked said:

Yes that is the one.

The LR7 is 0.7mm and I used an LR10 which is 1.0mm

As I said I tried it on a Boheme and a Fitzgerald with no luck.

I also just tried it in a 161, and it will not even go down into the spring area.

Seems like all these pens have different interiors, and you just got lucky with the .925 Solitaire model you have. 

Thank you for your reply.

Inked

The LR7 conversion I show is for the 162 Le Grand size rollerball

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, Pen Nut said:

The LR7 conversion I show is for the 162 Le Grand size rollerball

Easy peasy Pen Nut.

Your reference: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/286871-montblanc-rollerball-refill-alternatives/?do=findComment&comment=4014299

Works great! 

I had no idea an LR7 was so smooth.

Next I'll try the LR10 which is the broad point.

Thanks,

Inked

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 7:19 PM, Pen Nut said:

Hello RichA. This is a subject that comes up every now and again. I have, with varying degrees of sucess, refilled Le Grand rollerballs in the past and have also been on the 'adapting' quest on many occasions :rolleyes:

Now then heres my latest find. The Pentel 0.7 Energel rollerball refill is a great writer and lasts a bit as well and fits the 162 Le Grand with minimal messing, literally a quick 'shave' with a razor blade, place small plastic 'thing' out of donor pen mech and thats it. Refill end protrusion can be adjusted by how much you shave off bearing in mind once its gone you cant put it back......

Pictures below maybe in the wrong order but sure you can unravel them oh and would be interested to know what die is required to 'thread' further plastic victims I have my eye on :)

fpn_1519997729__mb1_2.jpg

Hi Pennut - where did you get the donor part from. Is it part of the clicking mechanism? 

Hello, yes it sits in the cap between the push button base and the top of the refill.