Ink Flow Problem ? Parker 45

Armand.D

I did´nt see this thread before now, so i´m a little late with my input.

I´m the one who gave Armand.d the pens , i tested it before i did send it and it wrote beautifully and smoothly, but i did use a squeeze converter, so i think that is where the problem is.

I´m sure that it would work perfectly if Armand used the right squeeze converter.

Well, don't know where to find one and that's the problem..

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armand.D

• ac12

• Dr_P

• hood

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all explained here:

http://www.newpentrace.net/articleGA04.html

Ciao,

Giovanni

OK I have a 45 nib in front of me.

When you pull the wings out, I am pulling on the outer corner of the nib at the widest point of the nib just before it starts to taper to the tip, not the tines themself. This has the effect of opening up the slit between the tines.

I figure there are at least 3 ways to do this.

#1 as Bruce said, lay the nib down inverted (wings up), and push the wings down, CAREFULLY. You are pushing the wings/shoulder of the nib outward. This causes the slit to open up. I think this is an easier method than what I did.

#2 slight modification of what Bruce said. Lay the nib down (with the wings on the table) and push the top of the nib down, CAREFULLY. You are pushing the wings/shoulder of the nib onto the table and pushing it outward. This causes the slit to open up. I think this is an easier method than what I did.

#3 (mine) is to hold the nib in your hand, thumb on top of the nib, finger nail of your index finger under both wing. Then pull the wings up, while pushing down with your thumb.

I think #1 and #2 is easier to do than my method.

Thanks Bruce.

You WILL get ink all over your fingers when you are doing this. Because you have to reassemble the nib assembly to test and disassemble it to adjust. So wear latex gloves, or be prepared to SCRUB your fingers when you are done.

This is very helpful, so thank you both.

Now I am seeing all your answers, and even if I don't have time right now, I will try to check of all that later.

To my mind I have two solutions :

• Keep the 45 → Work to make it working well (have to buy a medium nib then)
  • Upgrade to other vintages : 51, Snorkels & co / Moderns : Lamy 2000, platinum 3776 or other easy-to-use ?

If we are talking then about pen choice I need a pen with absolutely a reliable nib (good maintenance, easy to replace, know for its smoothness) as I am a lefty overwriter, so I don't know if I am ok with hooded nibs.

+ I prefer click-caps to take notes and also the ink capacity is a big deal changer for me.

If I am keeping with the 45 solution, I will have to replace the nib, clean all of this but an ultrasonic cleaner is also on my whitelist.

But for now no money..

.. I am looking forward to your answers !

Well, don't know where to find one and that's the problem..

You mentioned that you had one of the slide converters with the ball inside - you should try that before spending any money.

Yes, basically a lot of people find that the ink stays stuck to the walls instead of flowing down to the feed. The ball in the slide piston converter prevents that.

The problem is, the ball in the slide converter seals it. I try to only find the one's with the spring inside.

• 1 month later...