Montblanc 149 Nib Size?

Sehn

Hey there! I bought a Montblanc 149 from an auction and finally got it today! Really happy about it, since my daily writer to this day has been a Lamy Nexx or Safari.

I got told it's a M size nib, but it is really big compared to the M nib I had on the Lamys. I really like it, but I'm just not sure if it really is a M.

So, that brings me to my question: http://imgur.com/TK59KRP

top: http://imgur.com/EWczmCe

bottom: http://imgur.com/Yp3Rlpv

side: http://imgur.com/zHvEPVg

I've also encountered a little problem, but probably it's because the pen only got used once and isn't "written in" yet: it has some hard starts depending on how I hold it and - if I use it on rather "slippery" paper - sometimes doesn't lie down ink at all. However, once it writes there are no skips, even if I make very long lines across the paper. It's always just the start.

Is this because it's a new pen? Or because of my ink? I use the Iroshizuku kon-peki, had the same "problem" with the iroshizuku yama-budo, however.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Regards, Sehn

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sehn

• sd10521

• MakitRight

• zaddick

You might want to clean the pen thoroughly with a 1 to 10 mix of non sudsing ammonia with distilled water. Rinse with water and let dry overnight.

The nib looks like it could be an oblique M or B.

I have two Montblanc M nibs that write very close to a B.

That looks more like a B or even a BB than a M nib, and it writes like one too.

I'm not sure it has enough of a slant for an oblique, especially knowing the size of the 149 nib. It might just be the picture. You would definitely need to write with an angle with an OB 149 nib.

In order to decide if it's the ink I suggest you clean it out with some warm water with a drop of dish soap in it, then rinse it with fresh water and try inking it again after it has dried out. There could be grease on the feed.

Edited by Chrissy

Alright, will clean it with a drop of dish soap tomorrow.

Really strange about the size, though.. I wonder why I got told it's a M, it's not like I was asking if it's a M.

Thanks for the answers so far!

Regards,

Sehn

Seconding some of the posts above. It looks like either an O for "Oh, my, that's nice!" or a B for "Beautiful!" :D

Congrats!

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

It looks like the nib has been customized by someone other than Montblanc. A Montblanc OB nib would not be as stubbish as this one - it would have a more rounded tip when looked at from the side. As well your nib looks oblique from the front but more of a straight across stub point (90 degree) from the rear view.

For your false starts - ensure that the feed is making contact with the back side of the nib all the way down to the feed's tip.

As far as I know it hasn't been customized. Currently on the way to work, but I will upload a better writing sample once I'm home again. It is around 12 years old and was only written for about one fill.

Thanks!

Alright, here's the writing sample. I just took two comments from this thread and wrote it down.

http://i.imgur.com/6o0TMuc.jpg

The difference between the M from the Lamy and the "M" from the Montblanc is ridiculous.

Kind Regards,

Sehn

Looks like an M as I don't see the thinner horizontal strokes I would expect from a MB B.

Draw 4 vertical lines over 4 horizontal lines. If the vertical lines are noticeably thicker, it is a B. If they are about the same you have a wide M.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

An M would be visibly rounded. You've got a nice fat B leaning toward BB. Nice nib!

Agree. The photograph from underneath shows the recognizable MB square grind of a B nib, imho.

How are you getting on with the 'hard starts'? After cleaning/flushing/writing etc?

Some pens will have laid unused for years, it could take a couple of fills to get it all going again?

Nice pen. Congratulations.

And welcome to the 149 club.

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice nibs you have in your pen. It looks to me like a OB or OB+ nibs. Montblanc has personnel who hand grind all nibs, so your's may be a little fatter of an OB than another on.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.