I Did A Totally Evil Thing Today

sidthecat

I gave my boss a Waterman Commando last Christmas, and he likes to sketch with it. Then his mom gave him an MB 149 that belonged to his grandfather. Honestly, I'm happy for him. Really.

So today I let him try my Joseph Daluz Ahab, which is crazy-flexible. A totally evil thing to do to a man who really doesn't have time to hang out on ebay.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• Intellidepth

• FPVIBERIAN

• rochester21

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a question what is a "Joseph Daluz Ahab"?

Thanks for asking, I was also wondering.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

He's one of the tinkerers who modifies Ahab nibs to superflex: he adds a titanium overfeed to his nibs so the ink supply can keep up with the nib.

Every so often he puts a few of them on eBay, and I got lucky. I really like the nib: in the hands of someone who really knows what he's doing it can accomplish wonderful things. Look for jfdiberica on eBay.

You should propose a deal. A flexible nib like that is surely better to have than an old beater- yes, i`m referring to the 149.

Edited by rochester21

I wouldn't call a restored Commando a "beater". He generates some pretty nice drawings with it. And his mother gave him his grandfather's vintage MB 149 for Christmas. Game over.

I gave my boss a Waterman Commando last Christmas, and he likes to sketch with it. Then his mom gave him an MB 149 that belonged to his grandfather. Honestly, I'm happy for him. Really.

So today I let him try my Joseph Daluz Ahab, which is crazy-flexible. A totally evil thing to do to a man who really doesn't have time to hang out on ebay.

Hahaha. Very. Especially when there are none for sale right now. Have u posted pics of the modded pen here on FPN and its output? Curious. What's the snap-back like, or is it more painterly? Is yours the xxf, xf, or m? If it's a finer one, what's the finest line u can draw/write? Edited by Intellidepth

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I'm going to finish making another one of these tomorrow in Pima tortoise if anyone's interested

My name is Joseph DaLuz. I just wrote a lengthy explanation about what I've been doing with the Noodler's Ahab, but it was lost in cyberspace... so here's some copy from my ebay listing.

Custom Noodler's Ahab: nib reground to XF, with another Nib mod to increase flex to BBB. Feed also reset. After the flex mod, I used a Zeiss microscope to adjust the tines and do the regrind. As fine as it is, it's still smooth. To increase the ink flow during times of high demand, I made a titanium overfeed. there is a slight notch in the section for this. It was difficult to get the two axis curvature right. It's everyday use and for pointed pen calligraphy

Amazing flex actually, and will not railroad if you write at a moderate speed. I find that ink flow tolerances are better than many of my precious vintage pens.

:) welcome to FPN. Looking forward to seeing some of your nib mods being reviewed here. And hoping I got in line soon enough before the flood of orders begins ;).

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I wouldn't call a restored Commando a "beater". He generates some pretty nice drawings with it. And his mother gave him his grandfather's vintage MB 149 for Christmas. Game over.

I was talking about the Montblanc ??! Otherwise, what exactly is "evil" about giving someone a fountain pen to try??

Good to see you out in the open, Joseph! I thought you were hiding your light under a bushel, and you describe your specs much better than I can.

The "evil" part is that I have exposed my co-workers to the sins of envy and avarice, by demonstrating the inadequacy of their writing tools.

"The "evil" part is that I have exposed my co-workers to the sins of envy and avarice, by demonstrating the inadequacy of their writing tools."

Why do you say this like its a bad thing? :D

It depends on the grandfather 149 ... some of those from the 50s, 60s are serious flexers...

Edited by Downcelot

Okay, so you have my attention now. How do I find out more about getting one?

What terms do I search on on the bay to find one when he posts one for sale?

Finally, what's the price for one of the modified Ahabs?

Thank you in advance.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”