Marvicide / Barbicide In Ultrasonic Bath

MrSteve3000

I finally invested in one of the lesser-priced ultrasonic cleaners offered on Amazon. I have been happily cleaning eyeglasses, pens, and anything else within reach that needs to be cleaned. Since it is stainless inside, I put some Marvicide in there and cleaned a few DE razors. I let them soak for 15 minutes and then ran them through the three minute cycle twice. PEN RELATED QUESTION: is Marvicide or its more popular cousin, Barbicide, safe for fountain pens? It is diluted according to package directions. I thought it better to be safe than sorry. Thanks,

-Steve

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrSteve3000

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, Your Mileage May Vary! I am not suggesting the use of these disinfectants for your most treasured pens, or expensive pens, or celluloid, casein, piston fillers with cork, etc.

I tried it out today. I have two circa 2006 Wality piston fillers. One has a few combs broken off of the feed, and the other has a nib with a gouge / knick/ cosmetic defect. They both have steel nibs. I put them in the ultrasonic filled with Mar-V-Cide for the three minute cycle with the pistons filled with solvent. Afterward, I was able to pull the friction fit feeds and nibs, completely disassemble the rest, and run them all through again.

I was amazed. I cleaned these by flushing until the water ran clear before I put them in a box many years ago, thinking they were clean. There was enough Vert Olive in one to discolor the water completely. The other one had remnants of PR Plum to add to the mix.

After rinsing with water and air drying, I made one decent looking pen, and kept the rest for my parts drawer. The piston is greased and operating smoothly. I am going to use this pen when traveling just in case it doesn't come back home with me.

So encouraged, I decided to run an oversize Wality eyedropper pen though. I didn't disassemble the section this time. I am pleased with the results. In fact, instead of putting the eyedropper pen away, I have decided to use it for ink samples since I can get it so clean between fills.

Best regards,

-Steve

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files