Kaigelu 316 From Seller Hq.market, Aka You Gain More! Warning

Manalto

Manalto,

Can I suggest you try removing the barrel finial from one of your pens. See how it feels then. I have made a number of lightweight finials that take the weight down from 12 to 2 grams and make the pen feel much better. Try removing your finial to see how it feels and whether you like the pen with that weight distribution. I think you may.

Regards,

Richard.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• Charles Rice

• richardandtracy

• Cordovian

Of the two 316s I have (both charcoal) the only one with a cap I can take apart has very good tolerance between the brass cap finial threads and the acrylic. I guess the threads weren't very well cut in the acrylic on the example above?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I have a slightly different idea for re-establishing the thread.

You could smear petroleum jelly very thinly on the metal part, then use epoxy around the top of the cap barrel, and screw the metal finial in to it. The epoxy will cure around the thread but not stick as the jelly will act as a mould release. Then, unscrew and fit the clip. Loosing the ring was not a great idea... Could be re-made from brass on a lathe if you have access to one.

Regards,

Richard.

In a round about kind of way, I have found this sort of practise very useful forming threads (using red rubber grease and teflon tape)!

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6902-Using-metal-epoxy-putty-to-cast-tools-for-obscure-threaded-fillers-seems-to-work

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

My addition here may be of little to no importance, but I offer it anyway. Thanks to Richard I felt forced to buy a 316, okay, several. His replacement finials make it an extremely well balanced pen. Out of four pens one had an issue, and it was a cap problem. When threading it on or off there was a spot of strong resistance. After trying to think, and measure barrel threads, I decided to look inside the cap. A bit of glue had run onto the threads. My best guess would be a polyurethane base like Gorilla Glue. Removed it and no problems since.

While I don't use mine posted, it is sized and now balanced almost perfectly (barrel finial replaced) with cap held aside.

Good luck on locating your ring. It is somewhere, and it will show up when it wants too.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Richard's acrylic finial made a comfortable pen out of one that was so back-heavy, it wanted to flip me out of my chair.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

If anyone here would like my Kaigelu 316, please send me a PM and I will drop it in the mail to you. While I understand that the replacement end caps would resolve its balance problem, this is not something that I wish to pursue. It writes very nicely, but please note that I haven't found that elusive ring.

James

James

I have one of these in the white and black swirl acrylic. It has no problems with fit and finish and performs very well. I agree that it is a bit top heavy, but there appears to be no quality control issues with it.

I have one of these in the white and black swirl acrylic. It has no problems with fit and finish and performs very well. I agree that it is a bit top heavy, but there appears to be no quality control issues with it.

That's nice. I'm sure my experience is somehow entirely my own fault.

Edited by Manalto

James

That's nice. I'm sure my experience is somehow entirely my own fault.

Punishment for something you did in a past life, do you think?

• 8 months later...

Good luck on locating your ring. It is somewhere, and it will show up when it wants to.

Paul

Found it! I now finally have a Kaigelu 316, reunited and complete. I think I just may ink it up with something festive.

James

Thanks, Richard, for your suggestions. One thing that I learned from this experience is that, while I think the Kaigelu 316 is an attractive pen and writes well, it's so oddly imbalanced, I don't want another one.

The ring was already loose when the pen was shipped to me. I didn't fiddle with it at all. While the lathe idea is a good one, I trust in the permanence of physical things. I will conduct one more exhaustive search in the tiny area where the ring must be - inside envelopes, between papers, etc. or offer it to someone here to do with as they will.

I agree with your comments on reproductions/knockoffs/counterfeits of fountain pens, with the exception that the resentment is unfair. China has established a reputation over the years for sloppy, substandard manufacturing practices and blatant pirating of designs. Those manufacturers who produce quality goods are up against their fellow producers of goods, much more so than any racial objections from Westerners.

I have a spare Kaigelu cap jewel and an ebonite barrel finial (made from the design given by Richard). I can send these to you if you like. PM me if you want. Will see how i can send this across to you.

My Kaigelu is in regular use and its a good pen for the price...

A lifelong FP user...

Thank you, Deepak. The glue seems to be holding, even when I flex the clip. Although it's a pleasant enough looking pen, when I put it up against the lovely Parker it's imitating the transparency (lack of depth of opalescence) of the material really glares. The Parker may be 10x the cost, but does it write 10x better?

My Kaigelu is in regular use and its a good pen for the price...

LOL - that's almost like saying free advice is worth every penny! But I take your point; so far the Kaigelu has performed well for me too.

James

The Parker may be 10x the cost, but does it write 10x better?

Well, my experience with duofolds is limited to the 192x big red. Based on that, I can confirm that the Parker Duofold does write 10x better than the K316. Having said that, the K316 writes better than many pens from big names, including some new offerings from Parker themselves, which is why the pen stays in my inked lot...

A lifelong FP user...