Special Edition Safari Parade

ink-syringe

A friend of mine just went to the Line store in Shinsa and they are sold out. So looks like that is it. Gone.

Don't worry, they are already popping up on eBay. Here's one where the bidding has only reached USD 130. Get in quick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAMY-matte-BROWN-BEAR-safari-fountain-pen-LINE-FRIENDS-2015-limited-edition-EF-/221724927622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339fd5e686

Oh, I already knew the word brown on the brown pen referred to the brown bear. It was a poor attempt at a double entendre.

Edited by tinkerteacher

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ink-syringe

• tinkerteacher

• laoriginaltec

• Sal the List Maker

Don't worry, they are already popping up on eBay. Here's one where the bidding has only reached USD 130. Get in quick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAMY-matte-BROWN-BEAR-safari-fountain-pen-LINE-FRIENDS-2015-limited-edition-EF-/221724927622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339fd5e686

Oh, I already knew the word brown on the brown pen referred to the brown bear. It was a poor attempt at a double entendre.

1. already made my own. Just need to hit that yellow safari with some brown rattle can. haha.

I am not buying one on eBay. Korean retail prices are bad enough.

It is just a safari. it's a neato color but really let's not get crazy.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Oh wow the price which the Lamy safari's are going for are quite dear. I wish I was one of the 3 that snapped up the buy it now purchases, the auction prices are about to see 200$. Too expensive for me, hopefully they release some more stock.

Too expensive for me, hopefully they release some more stock.

Knowing Lamy, they most likely made the Line Safaris in one massive batch. Stuck 'em in boxes to be shipped to Korea, and started cleaning out the molds.

When they're gone, they're gone.

Again ... don't worry.

I'm sure in some factory somewhere in China they are warming up the injection molds and machinery as we speak, and shortly we will be seeing the knock-offs also appearing on eBay for much cheaper than the elusive real ones.

meh. I am not a hater. I have a few safari pens and like them and love some other lamy pens as well. I think the 2k is one of the best pens you can walk into a store and buy now. But I'd never pay $200 for a Safari no matter how limited. That is crazy. I is a plastic pen with a steel nib. A nice plastic pen a fun, well made pen. But yeah. uh. I'd rather buy a 2k and a studio and a bottle of ink for that money. MSRP in Korea is bad enough.

Sadly I am pretty sure some folks in Korea hoarded some of these to sell on eBay.

They are $54 here in the store to start with. Then there is shipping so even if they were to sell them to break even they would have sell for $80 or so. And what is the point of that? I think we'll see more online for $200 or so. But that just gets out of hand. I am sure some will pay it.

To cheer things up, and steer away from negativity, may I go back to your original idea for this thread ink-syringe? That of posting up photos of limited and special edition Lamys?

This ought to brighten things up:

post-121456-0-46248900-1427920459_thumb.jpg

A few of the more candy coloured members of my Lamy horde collection; Blue Green, Neon Coral, Apple Green, and Neon Yellow.

FYI, to get your beaten up old safaris nice and shiny like this, Micro-Mesh, Nail-File Buffers (the blocks like my wife uses, not the sticks), and Carnuba Wax work wonders.

To cheer things up, and steer away from negativity, may I go back to your original idea for this thread ink-syringe? That of posting up photos of limited and special edition Lamys?

This ought to brighten things up:

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

A few of the more candy coloured members of my Lamy horde collection; Blue Green, Neon Coral, Apple Green, and Neon Yellow.

FYI, to get your beaten up old safaris nice and shiny like this, Micro-Mesh, Nail-File Buffers (the blocks like my wife uses, not the sticks), and Carnuba Wax work wonders.

Great idea tinkerteacher!

That's a neat pen roll - where did you get it? Also, how exactly do you use the micro mesh and nail file block + wax to polish the pens? Do you polish the AlStar as well or just the Safaris? TIA!

Great idea tinkerteacher!

That's a neat pen roll - where did you get it? Also, how exactly do you use the micro mesh and nail file block + wax to polish the pens? Do you polish the AlStar as well or just the Safaris? TIA!

Those are Saki pen rolls, more designed for pencils, rulers and stuff Japanese teenagers would carry than for fountain pens, so don't expect a tight fit. They've got several different sizes and materials, including resin-impregnated waterproof ones. In my opinion Saki pen rolls are one of those rare occasions where art and functionality come together.

http://www.sakicollection.com/original_p21.pdf

http://www.sakicollection.com/original_p22.pdf

I think Jetpens in the USA carries them (at the usual Jetpens markup), not sure about an European distributor.

Also, how exactly do you use the micro mesh and nail file block + wax to polish the pens? Do you polish the AlStar as well or just the Safaris? TIA!

It's an idea I stole borrowed from the vintage pen restorers on here. FPN's little used search engine is a gold mine of information.

Use the micro-mesh to buff out the scratches on a Safari, more aggresive micro-mesh for deeper scratches. You can even use mylar sheets if you want a mirror smooth finish. Then use the nail file blocks to fill in smoothed scratches. Finally, buff the Safari with some quality car polish. Wunderbar. Oh also, if you want to keep that finish, make friends with a Visconti owner and see if they will allow you to use their awesome Visconti polishing cloth on your politerian fountain pen.

Al-Stars, unfortunately, have a very thin anodised coating which scratches easily in my experience. However, awhile back I stumbled across this awesome tip sheet on repairing anondising for industrial machinery, written by what must be a fellow tinker

http://wetlabs.com/sites/default/files/documents/RepairAnodizedSurfaces.pdf

But while you can get the scratches out and kinda sorta almost match Lamy's paint job, the colour of your repairs will never exactly match the original anodising.

Thank you, Tinkerteacher, very useful info!

Now let me share with you my excitement: my brown Lamy is here!!! (apologies for the claptrappy phone pics)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/pumpingmummy/20150407_154503_zpsc8xa7cdp.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/pumpingmummy/20150407_154515_zpspomwbfyd.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/pumpingmummy/20150407_154257_zps077teokn.jpg

But since this is a parade of limited edition Safaris, here it is with my other Special Editions: the neon yellow, neon coral and pink (but the pink is still on the Lamy website?)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/pumpingmummy/20150407_162046_resized_zpsj5o6z4yo.jpg

Now my life is complete. Aaaahhh :)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o8/pumpingmummy/20150407_160422_zps5fepqaii.jpg

(Hmmm... not sure why the photos won't rotate - well tilt your heads, friends! Exercise your necks hehe)

Edited by Sal the List Maker

A weird thing happened: I stopped looking & then one appeared in my office today.

post-115445-0-35446500-1428398505_thumb.jpg

A weird thing happened: I stopped looking & then one appeared in my office today.

OMG so excited for you! And what do you mean one just appeared?!

Well I am in Korea so maybe he just walked in here. heh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny that the first time I have ever had my Lamy SEs in one place is the time I am preparing to sell them.

post-121456-0-93036900-1430167493_thumb.jpg

Still trying to figure out the best way to off-load them.

post-121456-0-15419500-1430167942_thumb.jpg

All at once, or break them up?

Edited by tinkerteacher

Now this is a strange one that I hadn't realised was part of my accidental collection. Not a special edition as such, but so old now that it almost counts as such. It is a uninked old style red Safari with black clip, unmarked black nib and a black plastic cartridge lock out ring.

post-121456-0-90754600-1430168158_thumb.jpg