Good Introduction To Indian Ebonite Pens?

tleek

they are very expensive... at peyton street

Really? As compared to .....?

On eBay, our prices are usually within $10 of Ranga's own prices. And on the web site the prices are even better. In general Ranga is one of the more expensive Indian brands, but the quality is obvious.

Granted, it doesn't make sense for folks from India to buy from us, due to shipping costs, but it does happen.

Teri

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• tleek

• mhguda

• fountainpagan

Really? As compared to .....?

On eBay, our prices are usually within $10 of Ranga's own prices. And on the web site the prices are even better. In general Ranga is one of the more expensive Indian brands, but the quality is obvious.

Granted, it doesn't make sense for folks from India to buy from us, due to shipping costs, but it does happen.

Teri

I was not just referring to Peyton Street....

RANGA pens and to add to that deccan pens are generally on expensive side as compared to other Indian brands like Gama, Kim, ASA, Mohi... And many others...

No offence to you...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Ill be sure to check out peyton st

My pen shipped about a week ago and I was provided with a tracking number, but for some reason it is not working.

I'm hoping its all okay.

ill post pictures and my impressions when the pen gets here

I was not just referring to Peyton Street....

RANGA pens and to add to that deccan pens are generally on expensive side as compared to other Indian brands like Gama, Kim, ASA, Mohi... And many others...

No offence to you...

Thank you, my friend, no offense taken.

If you were to recommend a second Indian brand for us to carry, what would it be?

Teri

Thank you, my friend, no offense taken.

If you were to recommend a second Indian brand for us to carry, what would it be?

Teri

Wality or Airmail.. they are good and inexpensive.... will sell in lot of nos.

Gama .. mainly ebonite .... quite old in industry....lot of popular models... better priced than deccan or ranga

also ASA ... they are fairly new... but amazing build and quality control...

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thanks for the recommendations. (I know Wality and Airmail, we have used them as give-aways.)

TERI

I have a Wality 69T (I think it is) - and I have to agree, it's a very nice pen, especially for the price. Better quality (in my experience) than the Camlin and Serwex pens I've tried, especially the nib. I don't know whether the economics would make sense, though, in terms of importing to the US and reselling to a local market.

Gama is another name that I've seen reviewed a lot on FPN, and their pens look to be pretty good quality.

I have two Ranga pens - a 'Cruiser' and a 'Duofold'. Both lovely pens, but the Duofold in particular is an amazing pen.

I'd also suggest checking out the Triveni (and Triveni Junior) manufactured for, and sold by, Fountain Pen Revolution - they're a little thinner than the Gama Duofold, and not finished (in the case of their ebonite pens) to quite the same standard - but for the price point I find them very hard to resist!

Thanks for the recommendations. (I know Wality and Airmail, we have used them as give-aways.)

TERI

Wality will always customize for you... Special designs of you want

vaibhav mehandiratta

Okay, my pen should be here any day, however I am unable to track it. I was provided with a number and a link, but the number does not work. It tells me that there is no information for that number. I emailed ASA two separate times, about a week apart, and received no reply. I know a number can be generated before an order is shipped, and until it is shipped will not be able to be tracked. I may be over thinking it, but I am worried my pen did not actually ship, and ASA will not reply to my emails. When I sent an email concerning silicone grease, I got a reply within two days. It has now been two weeks without a reply. I do not know what is going on. I hope it is just something with the Indian Air mail website.

Here is some extra info to put your mind at rest regarding your pen. Sometimes the tracking number that Asa sends seems to get changed by the Indian mail system, and the package tracks by another number. I have had this happen a number of times with pens shipped from India, not only by Asa - they give you a tracking number, you try to track the package, and the mail system responds there is no information regarding the package. Until it lands on your doorstep. So far, they always have. Mine take between three and six weeks though.

In my experience, when they say it's shipped, that is true. On all the packages you see the shipping date and it has always been the date they tell me it shipped.

I'm sure your pen will arrive just fine.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Here is some extra info to put your mind at rest regarding your pen. Sometimes the tracking number that Asa sends seems to get changed by the Indian mail system, and the package tracks by another number. I have had this happen a number of times with pens shipped from India, not only by Asa - they give you a tracking number, you try to track the package, and the mail system responds there is no information regarding the package. Until it lands on your doorstep. So far, they always have. Mine take between three and six weeks though.

In my experience, when they say it's shipped, that is true. On all the packages you see the shipping date and it has always been the date they tell me it shipped.

I'm sure your pen will arrive just fine.

I was hoping it was something like that. Thanks

The pen came in today!

Beautiful pen, however I'm pretty sure the nib is splayed. The gap in the slit is big enough to see with the naked eye and widens from the breather hole toward the tip. I haven't inked it up, but am expecting some flow issues. Perhaps the feed needs to be heat set?

Has anyone else experienced this.

I will report back when I ink it up.

I think were good ladies and gents.

Inked it up and It seems to be writing better than it looks!

Really smooth nib. The shape is great, super comfortable grip section and the large flat top looks nice. This pen is way bigger than I thought it would be and I am glad, as I wanted a really big pen.

Ill use it for a week or so and then post a review!

TERI

Also to add to this out well be worthwhile to keep fosfor pens they are expensive though...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Also to add to this out well be worthwhile to keep fosfor pens they are expensive though...

Yes Fosfor Pens are more expensive than Wality, but they are worth it, and Manoj can do costum pens, also.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Fosfor pens are much cheaper than American or European hand-made pens though. That would be a fair comparison.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Fosfor pens are much cheaper than American or European hand-made pens though. That would be a fair comparison.

+1 to that... And the quality is right top notch... Even to minute detail

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an FPR Triveni, which is my first ebonite pen. It's got horrible feeding issues. Basically ink doesn't wick into the feed as it's used up, so you get a full feed load (which with an EF nib is HUGE - I can do 1.5 - 2 pages in a webby before it starts to skip) and then it runs dry. Twiddle the converter, or unscrew and screw the barrel in ED mode and it will put more ink into the feed and you can write for another 1 - 2 pages.

I've seen a bunch of other reports of ink flow problems on this model. I think I'm close to solving it on mine (and will post when I do), but I don't think this is a good starter pen.

The fix: inside the little nipple that cartridges and converters connect to there are two tiny slits for ink and air to flow through. I drilled them both out with a #80 bit and that solved the problem. They were just too small to allow good ink flow. With them drilled out larger it now flows just fine, and I'd consider buying another in a different visual style.

I got a limited edition ebonite from Abhay Pens, Aurangabad yesterday. This pen (Black Beauty), on first impressions alone, has the most beautiful of finishes among all my black ebonites (and I have a LOT of black ebos). The nib on dip testing is very smooth with no tooth at all. Maybe the best ebonite I've owned so far (nah, that has to be the Deccan Advocate, but this is close)

Will post pics and a review shortly.

Edit - typos and a missing the.

Edited by deepak23

A lifelong FP user...