A Thing For Writing Cases

domnortheast

Hmm, I seem to have developed a thing for leather writing cases. Two in one day off the bay, both English leather in A5 size for around £10 each...both appear to be nice examples.

I prefer using this type of case for carrying notebook, letter writing stuff, pen, postcards etc rather than buying into the current trend for leather notebook covers / journal systems (i.e. Midori).

I already have a smaller brown 'Duke' sized case that has been great for writing when travelling but have been after a nice A5 example at a reasonable price for a while.
Looking forward to getting and using them.

Dom

Green

And Blue

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• domnortheast

• my63

• Barkingpig

• SallyLyn

Top Posters In This Topic

Great looking cases! I can see why you were tempted & purchased. I guess these were made when writing was considered an art worthy of nice accessories & they are certainly befitting of appreciation. Enjoy!

Be careful it is an addictive pastime they are very nice cases though

I think you may be right....just need an A4 version.....then I'll stop.....honest.

Great looking cases! I can see why you were tempted & purchased. I guess these were made when writing was considered an art worthy of nice accessories & they are certainly befitting of appreciation. Enjoy!

I hope that time is still now Barkingpig. My current smaller version holds loads of stuff (pics below) and is carried daily so I'm hoping these larger ones will take everything and allow for a larger notebook to be carried however, nature abhors a vacuum and all that so I doubt there'll be room to spare whatever size I use.

Current contents include:

Writing pad

Blotting paper

Envelopes

Note-lets

Notebook

Kindle

Pen

Pencil

Rubber

Stamps

Paper-clips

Candle wax (for waterproofing ink on envelopes)

So, does anyone else use this type of case? If so what do yours hold? Show us yer pics,

Edited by Stanley Howler

Stanley- I have been searching EBay for a similar writing case/folio. Only thing being that I would like to get one which also includes 3-ring binder rings, so that I can carry some regular paper along with a legal pad. But have had no luck, only find modern folios, made of fake leather or pleather. I will keep looking.

Congratulations on your finds. What heading did you do your search under to bring up these items?

Stanley- I have been searching EBay for a similar writing case/folio. Only thing being that I would like to get one which also includes 3-ring binder rings, so that I can carry some regular paper along with a legal pad. But have had no luck, only find modern folios, made of fake leather or pleather. I will keep looking.

Congratulations on your finds. What heading did you do your search under to bring up these items?

Thanks Wolverine1, I've not seen any (other than the Filofax type) that include binder rings, but then I've not been looking for that type. I've had a search saved for some time now for 'vintage leather writing case'. The smaller size case seems to be quite common and can be had in the UK for around £5 or £6 + p&p but the A5 versions seem harder to come by at a reasonable price.

Good luck with your searching.

Wow you carry an impressive array of goods in that case! Is that green pen by chance a Sheaffer snorkle? If so I am delighted to see it "keeping company" with the Kindle.

Wow you carry an impressive array of goods in that case! Is that green pen by chance a Sheaffer snorkle? If so I am delighted to see it "keeping company" with the Kindle.

Thank-you...it's like a Chinese puzzle; it all only fits if you get everything 'just so'.

Yes it is a Sheaffer's Snorkel Admiral in sage green and, with its fine nib, is just right for use on this case's smaller writing paper and note books, it's also slim enough to fit into the pen loop properly and has proved utterly reliable in use.

Stanley Howler

Nice pen.

Thank you. I suspect it is going to find a more regular home in the green writing case when it arrives. I think the tortoise Pelikan 400 will suit the brown case;

Which will just leave something in blue to acquire for the blue case....not that I'm hung up on these things you understand :D perhaps a blue Pelikan M400 with a nice flexi vintage nib unit transplanted. Or another Snorkel in Peacock Blue?

I am not a fan of zippered cases. I have a couple of Saddleback leather folio cases, one for letter size and the other 5x8. They hold a pad

and have a couple of slots for loose papers, cards and a good sized pen loop. They are thick and stiff, but I like them.

Regards

Jeff