Jinhao X450 & X750

matt49

I have seen a few posts on the site about flow issues with both these pens , some of these flow issues could be of course not cleaning before inking , badly set nib tines etc...

I have 2 of each of these pens and I have flow issues with only one of them the X750 in shimmer sands finish I have tried numerous things to cure this including re-cutting the feed channels widening these which helps to some degree and also using a converter with an agitator to break the surface tension of the ink which again helped also.

One thing though that I have noted and please check this out in case its my eye deceiving me but in SBRE Browns video shoot out between the two pens , his x750 as a different feed to the x450 whereas mine are identical , now this my not be relevant but perhaps the x750 originally had a different feed somewhat larger and for some reason they now use the x450 feed in this X750 pen, this may not be the offending issues but it is something to consider I think

If you go to Sbre browns Utube channel you will find the video and see what you think ?

As I said if you keep the faith and keep messing eventually the X750's that are not so good do write well and some write well straight out of the box!

I suppose if we understood everything life would be boring right?

Cheers

Matt :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matt49

• dcwaites

• Sasha Royale

• edebill

I've got an x450 and 4 x750s (all purchased in last 3-4 months). They all seem to have the same feed, at least as far as the part outside the section is concerned.

I only inked one x750, but it feeds well, if a little wetter than I'd like. Same goes for all the other Jinhao pens I've got (an x250 and 2 159s - all of which work great). I'd love to know how many good pens I'd need to see to have, say, 90% certainty that 99% of their pens are good. It seems like there's some percentage that are iffy, but at this point I'm 5 for 5.

I am generally satisfied with my PRC fountain pens. Quality Control is fair to poor. I estimate 80% are good.

15% are troublesome. 5% are coffee stirrers. I include these in the cost calculation. $30 for four pens.

I net some aggravation and three, good $10 pens. Still a good deal. Ten Jinhao 266 pens for $10 is a good

deal of aggravation and seven good pens. $1.43 a piece.

Shipping time varies from 18 days to 40 days to not at all. You get what you pay for. It's fun.

I hate the Jinhao x750.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I discussed the feed size here

The new feed sits further back into the section and this may help stop the nib from drying out, even when capped.

The other thing that could be causing problems is that the tines are pressing against each other too hard.

Nathan Tardif recommends having a slight gap between the tines, while I prefer to have the tines just, but only just, touching.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I am generally satisfied with my PRC fountain pens. 5% are coffee stirrers.

I hate the Jinhao x750.

Sasha -- forgive my editing your post to what I wanted to use...agreed on all counts. I've bought them to give away, and have had to repair/re-cut almost all of their feeds. It did not occur to me that using as a coffee stirrer would be a solution, but it sure makes sense. For years, I used a dell laptop to hold an office window open, too...

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I have since this post received several more X750 and X450 all with exactly the same feeds , after some nib tuning these all write perfectly well .

I would also recommend washing these pens out before using them and soaking the nib feed and section in mild soapy water to remove any residue from manufacturing as well and cleaning the converter inside in the same way flushing all well with water and drying before first use

Jinhao number 6 nibs seem to be almost welded together their so tight when they arrive which if left causes a very dry pen so some nib tuning on all these pens in my case was required the nibs if aligned correctly are smooth generally but 90 % of mine arrive misaligned which is simple enough to fix so it not that big of an issue .

I think in my experience if your willing to put some work in these pens are very nice but straight from the box often they are not so great id always still recommend buying as they are so cheap and spending time tuning them , you end up with a good decent pen that will last a long time . :)

Sasha -- forgive my editing your post to what I wanted to use...agreed on all counts. I've bought them to give away, and have had to repair/re-cut almost all of their feeds. It did not occur to me that using as a coffee stirrer would be a solution, but it sure makes sense. For years, I used a dell laptop to hold an office window open, too...

Tim

awwww The x750 is one my faves! It writes just as bad as my 40 dollar crosses and I can post .