How To Thin A Herd

Uncial

I first came to this enabling site about a year or maybe two ago. At that point I had a fair collection of pens to keep me happy and gleefully posted my intro with the pens I currently had inked in rotation. It was lovely to see others with way more pens than me. I felt like my condition wasn't really that bad, but perhaps I was kidding myself.

For some time I have had my eye on a fountain pen that I really like, but is just too darned expensive.

For some time I have had the courage to admit to myself that I am a fountain penaholic and I have too many (about 90).

I've been pondering for some time that perhaps I should really try to thin the herd, sell the ones I don't really use regularly and put the money towards the expensive pen I like. However, every time I sit down to look at my pens I think, 'No. I don't really want to part with that.' I'm starting to feel like one of those people you see on those hoarding shows on TV. I've managed to identify the fountain pens that are not even on the list of 'consider selling', but I'm still finding it hard. I know you're all a bunch of enablers and this possibly isn't the place to ask (and the prospect of me selling might be enabling you!) but I would like advice from those of you who have sold and what factored in on your decisions.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AnnieB123

• Uncial

• OcalaFlGuy

• johnboz

Top Posters In This Topic

#firsttosaysendthemtome

Seriously, I'm the wrong person to even dare to post on your thread. I admire and salute your effort. I feel the same way actually, but when it comes to taking pictures (at which I am hopeless), listing them on you-know-where-bay, dealing with the public and then sending things off, etc etc... I fail utterly.

Good luck! Which (new) pen do you have your eye on?

I know I will have trouble getting myself organised enough to actually sell, whether it be here, fleabay or wherever. That in itself may take almost a year! (see - I'm putting it all on the long finger already)

I think it might be better not to say what the pen hankering is. My experience here is that such utterances usually end in responses like, 'Oh you should totally buy that right now - it's amazing.' This tends to make the desire grow strong and the resistance to temptation weak.

I've found it's easiest to just be logical about it. I know it's hard to be logical when passion is involved, but hear me out...

- Look at your pens. Are there any that you just never use? Duplicates that you only really need one of? Set them aside.

- Out of those pens that you never use or are duplicates, are any irreplaceable? Family heirlooms, limited editions, etc.? If so, keep them.

- The pens that are left should go. You might have an attachment to them, but if you never use them and they can be easily replaced, why keep them? If you truly miss having that particular pen after you sell it, you can always buy it again. Chances are you'll never miss them once you get that new pen you've got your eye on.

I know it's easier said than done, so best of luck to you!

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love

I know I will have trouble getting myself organised enough to actually sell, whether it be here, fleabay or wherever. That in itself may take almost a year! (see - I'm putting it all on the long finger already)

I think it might be better not to say what the pen hankering is. My experience here is that such utterances usually end in responses like, 'Oh you should totally buy that right now - it's amazing.' This tends to make the desire grow strong and the resistance to temptation weak.

Yeah, wise move. I've spent more money than I otherwise would've by listening to the fanatics enablers around here. :D

PS Edited to add: something that may well fit into your long-term plan. Take all your pens, put them into a box and put the box in an out of the way safe place (Don't hyperventilate yet!) Allow yourself to take pens out of the box as/when you need them. After a month (6 months, however long works for you), revisit the box and see what's left. Those are the ones you don't really need or use.

I did this for my books (I'm a bibliophile with a seriously demented/emotional attitude about books). It really truly worked, I cut my library by a significant margin and I like the idea that my unused books are being used and loved elsewhere and not just gathering dust on my shelves at home.

Edited by AnnieB123

I am a member of another forum that is almost identical to this one but about watches. Over therr they do a thing where they keep a monthly talley of the watches they were that monthh. If you use a pen, and I mean for real use it not just writing one sentence, then you keep it, but if not then sell it off to be loved by someone else.

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

I generally do not sell my personal pens.

I usually get Good deals on them to start with. I KNOW I can never replace them for what they cost me.

One of the few pens I have sold, a CT M-605 in Blue for example, is much harder to find now for a decent price than when I got mine. Though it wasn't a heavy use pen, I wish I still had it.

I've gifted a few pens. I always feel better about those. Just micro-twitches of regret.

I'm kind of a pen whisperer. Every now and then I have a friend and The Whisper just tells me a certain pen I have is For Them. It doesn't happen real often but is undeniable when it does. I actually sold a Plum 51 recently. I would have bet you money that would never have happened. This person's "need" for this particular pen was just in another whole Galaxy than mine. I would have regretted NOT selling them the pen.

I of course, have a slightly different angle For You.

We've established that you Generally like all the pens you have. Get more specific. Writing specific. Are they just hohum performers? Do they Look That Much Better than they write? Fly Starling, Fly.

(If they are Hohummers, be sure they don't just Nib Whisper. I have pens that when uncapped Whisper, "now if only this nib...". I wouldn't be so quick to let one of those fly away.)

If they write as nice as they look, keep 'em.

JohnBoz made me think a minute about dups. I gotta say there's nothing wrong with have a dup of a pen and both of them not staying in rotation. 2 of the same I understand. 3 or more slides head on into C-Wordy.

Using my angle above, I think deciding Keep or Sell should be a bit easier.

For me, there is a much stronger likelihood that I'll regret selling a pen. (Personal pen, not one bought To restore and sell.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

What about all those pens 'one' (i.e., me) buys with the express intention of selling them on which never seem to move away from home? I have actually cut down on buying pens with the intention of flipping them someday. I'm running out of room. :P

Edited by AnnieB123

What about all those pens 'one' (i.e., me) buys with the express intention of selling them on which never seem to move away from home? I have actually cut down on buying pens with the intention of flipping them someday. I'm running out of room. :P

I'm the same way I keep on finding and buying all the vintage Parker items I can find. I may have to start storing pens in the bathroom. :lticaptd:

I always know when the time to sell one of the Parkers that passes thru my hands.

My dad has said this about his vintage classic cars: Quote " I'm just the keeper of these cars at this time." That goes for me, I am just the keeper of the Parker Items that I have collected for now. When it is time to release one then fine. I do have one regret on selling one advertising Parker Jotter set. :wallbash: :wallbash: At least I still have a photo of the set...

To be honest when I first started with fountain pens I started off with some fairly cheap pens that I quickly out grew. I didn't particularly like the look of my collection and about 3/4 of a year ago and started offering PIF's regularly just to clear myself of the 7 or 8 sub £15 pens I wasn't using and weren't worth selling. I'm at the point where I need to starting selling pens as my next pen which is ear marked to go is my Cross Century 2 a pen which I just don't particularly like.

I don't regret getting rid of a single pen as I would never have considered getting rid of the pen if it was a pen I cared about. However having a small collection is a great feeling and I'm looking forward to getting rid of the last two which are ear marked to go as for the first time in a long time I would only own pens I cared about..

I think PIF may be the way to start. I have a pile of pens that all need careful restoration and loving care. I'd feel far better about giving them away knowing that they won't end up in the bin and might get a burst of new life, and to be honest I'm not sure I would feel entirely comfortable about getting money for them. Then there are the pens I mess about with, but don't generally use. They tend to be the cheapies like the dreaded Serwex. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable about asking money for those either. So basically, if I was really disciplined about it, I could PIF quite a bit over time.

The flip side is that a very long period of disciplined saving might buy the one pen after I've thinned out the herd.

In my experience, PIF's with some sort of contest/entry are quite fun.

For the PIFer, the entrants and the spectators.

It also helps the seller know who wants That Pen and who just wants a Free pen.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I can sort of relate in that in the not too distant past, I would see a pen on sale and get excited and buy it. Eventually, I realized that "did it for me" and there was a surplus of pens. I think I purchased more pens in 2014 than any year before and my resolution in 2015 was to write a list of 6 to 8 pens and buy 4 to 5 from that list only. A lot of the entry level pens I have given away to people I know who have expressed an interest in FP's - I imagine they use the pens more frequently than I ever would and after all that is the purpose of a writing instrument, right?