Syo-Ro (Dew On Pine Tree) - Crv - Group Review - 2015-03

Lou Erickson

http://www.rdwarf.com/users/wwonko/images/fpn/iro/06-syo-ro-header.jpg

Iroshizuku - Syo-ro (Dew on Pine Tree) - CRV - Group Review - 2015-03

The Iroshizuku Group Review color for March 2015 is Syo-ro ”Dew on Pine Tree”. It is a deep green, full of the suggestion of the lush pine needles of the trees it is named for.

Please post your reviews and scans of the ink in this thread.
If you want to a partner for a Co-Razy View (CRV) of this ink, please write it up and mail it to Lou Erickson. (PM for the address.) If you want to do a Co-Razy View on your own, please do! Other reviews are welcome, too.
NOTE: I have a new address as of January! If you have sent me things in the past, please PM for the new address - the old one will stop forwarding eventually.
You can look at the full description of the Iroshizuku Group Review to see how this should work and what we’re doing.
http://www.rdwarf.com/users/wwonko/images/fpn/iro/06-syo-ro-product.jpg
Thanks to Rachel Goulet, who gave permission to me to use their beautiful product photo and swab.
More thanks to Amberlea who gives so much of her time to herding these inky kittens.
Please PM me with any questions. I keep thinking this ink is Christmasy, and that it would be great for holiday cards. Very green, but still dark enough to be readable. :)

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Lou Erickson

• Sailor Kenshin

• A144

• 2 weeks later...

And here we go:

16649212527_26992a3d26_c.jpg

16830655306_4dfd510577_c.jpg

The pen is one of those Hero-Faris, the 359, with a medium nib and medium flow. It's a good, reliable ink tester.

I had this ink in a different pen a few months ago (The Nemo M, a true gusher, writes more like a Broad), and couldn't make up my mind about it then, either.

I like the name. I like the dark mysterious look it has in the vial. I like its free-flowing aspects. It does seem to shade a bit on this Rhodia Uni pad, and also on Bagasse. And bluey/greeny inks count as my absolute favorites.

Do I like the fact that it 'fades' and grays/greens out over time? That's what I can't determine. It reminds me of a cross between Ku-Jaku (Peacock) and Tsuki-Yo (Moonlight). Oh, and a little bit like Noodler's Blue Nose Bear.

Here it's been compared with one other chameleon ink: Iroshizuku Shin-Kai (Deep Sea), which goes down dark midnight and fades to a slightly deep blue-gray. (With shading and sheen, no less!).

I will tell you this: the more I use, the more I like!

It'll be fascinating to see the other reviews and how Dew On Pine Tree shows up in different pens on different papers. This is such fun.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Lou, is it too late to get in on writing a letter for this CRV? I'll write up a review for this thread either way.

Syo-ro is one of my favorite Iro inks, and I actually just got a bottle of it in earlier this month.

So many inks, so little time...

Thanks for the review. I have this ink and while I have no complaints about its properties, I'm disappointed with the colour. I find I like it for the first few words and then I become sick of it. In my experience, a page of it looks sickly - not quite green, not quite blue.

Oh dear, I totally missed doing this.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Introduction

Hello again folks.

You'll be used to these image heavy posts by now so you'll know my opinion is the more detailed the pictures the better, the lighting is getting better. I've decided to stay with the Rhodia Dotpads for consistency, for other reviews I'll move to the Rhodia 'Ice' grid pads. Thumbnail images are 1024 along the long edge and all images are links to full resolution images so click away, it's worth it. I've adjusted the picture order a bit as the bottle photo's were feeling lost to me at the bottom and didn't logically flow, maybe I'm just being odd but hey, it feels nicer to me this way around.

I'm actually posting this in the month that the ink is meant to be for, bonus points to self!

Important Notes

1) Feathering... The art pad seems to feather in a number of odd locations with all the inks in flex nibs, I'll have to put that down to the nibs tearing some fibres or similar.

2) As always, my apologies for the few spelling/writing mistakes, I need to slow down more. Or drink less caffeine. It's improving!

So... Iroshizuku Syo-ro, or Dew on Pine Tree. It's most definitely an ink of two hearts, both light and dark. In juicy wet nibs it lays down a nice dark line yet swims up out of the depths to a lighter dryer surface finish. Although they are two different colours when viewed together, there seems to me to be a base teal dye link between this and Tsuki-yo, evident more in the darker parts of Syo-ro and the lighter parts of Tsuki-yo. This is a fresh ink on me and I like it, it's not my favourite green, but then again I'm hesitant to actually call it a green instead of a teal, it even looks blue in the bottle, green in the dark strokes and teal in the light strokes.

This months ink name music related song used for quotes: The Pine Tree by Johnny Cash

Pens Used

Pelikan 140 14C Fine 'semi-flex'

Lamy Al-Star Steel Medium

Edison Pearl Steel Broad

Pelikan M800 14C BB Stub (Greg Minuskin)

TWSBI 540 Steel 1.5mm Stub

Paper Used

Rhodia Dotpad - 80gsm

Rhodia No 12 Grid - 80gsm

Rhodia R - 90gsm

Clairefontaine Clothbound A5 Grid - 90gsm

Opus Essential Paperback Sketchbook - 128gsm

Onto the writing samples and photos:

Written Summary of the first photo

Colour: A dark teal shade of green

Shading: Medium

Flow: Generous

Saturation: Medium/High

Cleaning/Staining: Easy / None

Feathering/Bleedthough: None (Except Artpad) / Some on Rhodia R / Artpad

Drying time: 30+ - Still wet at 30

Water resistance test: [see test sheets] Enough stays on the wetter parts to be visible.

Most preferred test combo: Pelikan 140 14C Fine (the BB stub was a very close second!)

Least preferred test combo: Lamy Al-Star

Personal Opinion: First time using this ink today. It "feels" like a sibling of Tsuki-yo but a sibling that's spent more time in the sun. The same teal base but on a lighter & greener side. I like it, more so in wet nibs.

Overview - Rhodia Dotpad / Lamy Al-Star

Equipment Overview

Bottle and TWSBI 540

Bottle from the rear - those white spots are actually air bubbles in the glass.

Bottle from the front / bubbles

Ink on nibs

TWSBI 540 with Syo-ro

Water Resistance Before

Water Resistance after 60 second soak

Art Pad Doodle Page

Sample Page 1 - Rhodia Dotpad

Sample Page 1 - Rhodia Dotpad - Comparison with Tsuki-yo

Sample Page 2 - Rhodia R

Sample Page 2 - Rhodia R - Comparison with Tsuki-yo

Full Page Sample - Clarefontaine Grid

Full Page Sample - Clarefontaine Grid

Full Page Sample - Clarefontaine Graph

Closeup - Rhodia Dotpad - Pelikan 140 14C Fine 'semi-flex'

Closeup - Rhodia Dotpad - Lamy Al-Star Steel Medium

Closeup - Rhodia Dotpad - Edison Pearl Steel Broad

Closeup - Rhodia Dotpad - Pelikan M800 14C BB Stub

Closeup - Rhodia Dotpad - TWSBI 540 Steel 1.5mm Stub (sorry for the missed focus, I must have shifted a few mm when squeezing the trigger)

Combo Shot

Arty Shot - Rhodia Dotpad - Edison Peal Steel Broad - Check that shading!

Arty Shot - Rhodia Dotpad - Pelikan M800 14C BB Stub - the ink that finally found it's partner.

Art Pad Doodle Arty Closeup Shot - avoiding the storm.

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

GSteer, very nice review and beautiful photography! Thanks for sharing this, I find it captures Syo-ro very well.

Well I finally got my CRV letter mailed out today. I kept leaving on my desk, so I moved it to my backpack. It sat there until I put on my truck seat yesterday. And I finally dropped it in a mailbox at work today.

Thanks everyone, just happy to participate, although the label on this months (April) bottle in front of me is decidedly bright :) Think I'm getting the lighting a bit more even now which is a nice improvement, just need to work on the handwriting.

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

Heh, heh, wait till you write a page with the April ink. It's pretty bright.

Thank you for the comprehensive and beautiful pictures of Syo-ro! Your pens shade so much more beautifully than mine do. I am mildly envious.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Introduction
Hello again folks.
[...]

Wow - awesome review! :o

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Wow, GSteer!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

FPNer Lloyd went to the ink bar and got this.....

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0281.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0281.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Waterproofness

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/8215/wxziDu.jpg

Chromatography:

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/9718/GMyalx.jpg

Ink splash

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/5292/SQ4WiX.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/2116/6JC7Vw.jpg

Software ID

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/7725/Yut59g.jpg

Kalendar, Kaweco Sport Classic B