Sailor Storia Pigmented Ink

jeffkoch

US$29 per bottle, including shipping. Less than Kingdom Note, but more than Kobe.

Whooa!

That's a bit of a mark up, considering Sailor Japan is selling it factory direct for USD 12 a bottle.

http://sailorshop.jp/SHOP/13-1502.html

Edited by tinkerteacher

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkerteacher

• jmccarty3

• Davros

• Algester

Interesting ...

Looks like Bung Box has the best prices for Sailor Storia pigment inks ATM, international shipping factored in as a consideration.

http://bung-box.com

USD 12-13 a bottle, USD 10 for 3-5 day shipping.

Whooa!

That's a bit of a mark up, considering Sailor Japan is selling it factory direct for USD 12 a bottle.

http://sailorshop.jp/SHOP/13-1502.html

considering Atsu is based in Kobe (or so I think) which might mean Nagasawa or Pen and Message still has not acquired these inks yet that would make sense for a mark up... unless its true that at least some proceeds goes to the charity over the march 11 incident Edited by Algester

Well, that was fast.

The usual suspects are now sold out of their stocks of Storia inks.

Guess Sailor had only run off a small, initial batch of the new line. And or, they are having a hard time keeping up with the huge demand for their inks, and the technical difficulties of creating ultra fine coloured pigment particles in a stable and FP friendly liquid suspension.

Well, that was fast.

The usual suspects are now sold out of their stocks of Storia inks.

Guess Sailor had only run off a small, initial batch of the new line. And or, they are having a hard time keeping up with the huge demand for their inks, and the technical difficulties of creating ultra fine coloured pigment particles in a stable and FP friendly liquid suspension.

Sailor inks are getting to be like fine wines. There's only so much of them, and the demand has grown beyond the supply. Surely they are aware of the growing number of ink addicts.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Just loaded a Sailor Pro Gear with a 21k MF nib with the Storia Blue. There is actually some shading!

Are you able to post a photo or two of this ink? I would love to see some.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

It looks like ink-mixers may now have a complete CMYK palate in pigmented inks. I don't know what Sailor officially says about mixing their [storia] inks.

I inquired about this to Sailor Japan, and their response was to the affect of feel free to mix among the Storia line. That the Storia inks were actually designed for ink mixing and experimenting. "A paint mixing set for adults and their Sailor fountain pens".

BUT ... not to mix with any other inks. Even other Sailor inks. And, not to introduce liquids (ie. water dilution), or leave them in a pen that doesn't see regular use.

More experienced inkists and mixers will know if Sailor is being overly cautious here.

Yeah, I think they are being too cautious. I suspect they will play nice with other pigmented inks.

I wish there was a true cyan. The blue will be a problem for mixers - it is not a saturated enough hue, and it is too blue. With the positioning of that blue, they are cutting off whole swathes of shades.

I inquired about this to Sailor Japan, and their response was to the affect of feel free to mix among the Storia line. That the Storia inks were actually designed for ink mixing and experimenting. "A paint mixing set for adults and their Sailor fountain pens".

BUT ... not to mix with any other inks. Even other Sailor inks. And, not to introduce liquids (ie. water dilution), or leave them in a pen that doesn't see regular use.

More experienced inkists and mixers will know if Sailor is being overly cautious here.

being pigmented a no no to water dilution would make sense in the most general context in that they are water proof (in some cases may probably do something horrible to your feed) and seeing that people actually experimented with their kiwaguro and seiboku being left out in the open with positive results would mean they are just being cautious just like Platinum's carbon inks

unless people actually tried to use water diluted kiwaguro and seiboku with positive results which I havent heard off

The admonition against dilution may simply reflect two considerations. First, people won't necessarily use distilled water, and impurities in tap water may have unforeseen consequences, either biological or chemical. Second, dilution drops the concentration of the biocidal additives. This makes it good advice in general, I think, but if it's water-based, you can probably dilute in the cartridge or converter with distilled water and expect no disasters if you use the ink up sooner rather than later. Now, from the looks of these so far, I rather doubt that significant dilution is going to be a big temptation. Nice to hear that they can be mixed, though. Makes a better case for getting them all.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

One other thing that Sailor, Japan said about mixing the Storia inks.

"Such as in a circus use the Spotlight ink to add halos and vibrance to the other [inks] and highlight them".

Cutting through the marketing language and decent for a non-native English, my take away is that the Spotlight colour can be used not only as a stand alone ink, but also as an additive to add 'pop' and yellow highlights to the others.

Edited by tinkerteacher

I have only tried the blue. It's similar in color to some other Sailor blues--reminds me a little of BB Sapphire. It's not nearly as viscous or concentrated as I thought it would be, and I even get shading out of it. I wouldn't have guessed that it's a pigmented ink. It doesn't dry with a matte finish like nano black. I'll try to get to the red later this week.

I can't make up my mind about these inks after seeing the videos thanks to tinkerteacher. I've been waiting for reviews because I love the appearance of the bottles with the ink inside and also the idea of "Storia". Now though I'm not convinced.

Don't like the pink or the green. The purple seemed to be a bit wetter than the other two, if the lack of railroading was any indication. The shading is a nice surprise, although I don't think we'll be getting much sheen out of these.

Don't like the pink or the green. The purple seemed to be a bit wetter than the other two, if the lack of railroading was any indication. The shading is a nice surprise, although I don't think we'll be getting much sheen out of these.

I think the Pink is actually better than the Red. The Red is too washed out, more like a pink, whereas the Pink looks more like a magenta. Maybe I had high hopes for the Red but it turns out to be a great disappointment.

If you're looking to pick up the Storia inks, I heartily recommend Bung-Box. Awesome customer service and prices.

Bung-Box patiently answered all my questions regrading the new line, and after I decided against buying the Storia inks, they then dug through their storage room and found a few stray bottles of their own custom Sailor inks that were listed as sold-out on their website.