Lamy Safari Burping Ink--Any Tips?

comixfan

I've got a new Lamy Safari w/ F nib and it's practically unusable due to the fact that it simply gushes ink every 20 seconds or so. It will appear to be writing normally, but after a few lines will just burp a dallop of ink. Does anyone have any tips for how to fix this? I didn't think Safaris needed any kind of nib or feed adjustment right out of the box. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• comixfan

• pen2paper

• RMN

• Mike 59

I forgot to mention that I'm just using a standard Lamy ink cartridge, so it's not a matter of the brand of ink. Thanks!

Hi. The only thing I can think of is that the cartridge is not fitting properly, so letting some air in.

Might be worth removing the cartridge and fitting it back again.

I have several Safaris, and have never found any issues like this, extremely reliable pens in my experience.

Hi. The only thing I can think of is that the cartridge is not fitting properly, so letting some air in.

Might be worth removing the cartridge and fitting it back again.

I have several Safaris, and have never found any issues like this, extremely reliable pens in my experience.

My thoughts as well. Also check if the cartridge is not cracked. That does happen sometimes.

Probably the best way to load a Lamy cartridge is to put it in the barrel, place the section over it and just screw the section closed. This will pierce the cartridge. Works that way with most Sheaffers as well, and probably many other pens with long cartridges.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll pop in a new cartridge and hope that was the problem (this first cartridge emptied in no time).

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing a couple threads about fake Safari's gushing ink have you checked to make sure that it's genuine? There's things you can look for, a space between nib and feed, the breather hole further forward on nib and the fact that other Safari nibs won't fit.

Did you get it from Amazon or ebay?

yes, this is capillary action from a closed source, so either the cart is not tight, the cart has a crack (rare with original Lamy carts), it's fake Lamy, Or, hold the pen feed side up and view in a strong light, do you see a crack in the feed? (also rare, but I did it once, and actually this should cause it to be skippy rather than leaky). Flood the feed with ink, which shows the crack instead of smooth inky surface.

Well, I'll be hornswoggled... looks like I've got a fake. I knew there were Safari clones out there, but I had no idea anyone would go to the trouble of actually counterfeiting one. I mean, it's a Safari fer cryin' out loud! But after doing some Google sleuthing, the pictures on this Chinese site told me everything I needed to know. My charcoal "Lame-y" Safari fits the bill on all of the signs of being a knock-off. It even came with a Z24 converter, which I thought was a nice bonus until I realized now that it's also a fake. The worst part is that I purchased the pen back in October from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, so there's absolutely no refund to be had. Caveat emptor, I guess. :(

Edited by comixfan

Well, I'll be hornswoggled... looks like I've got a fake. I knew there were Safari clones out there, but I had no idea anyone would go to the trouble of actually counterfeiting one. I mean, it's a Safari fer cryin' out loud! But after doing some Google sleuthing, the pictures on this Chinese site told me everything I needed to know. My charcoal "Lame-y" Safari fits the bill on all of the signs of being a knock-off. It even came with a Z24 converter, which I thought was a nice bonus until I realized now that it's also a fake. The worst part is that I purchased the pen back in October from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, so there's absolutely no refund to be had. Caveat emptor, I guess. :(

Sorry to hear you've had this bad experience. I've rarely used Amazon, but if it were me stuck with a fake Lamy, I would take the extra step to contact Amazon with your purchase information, and possibly Lamy - at least report the incident. Remotely you might have a positive response. There are well-known, reliable "Lamy" resellers that offer both sales and specials. In the past I've stopped buying the latest "color", only to be lured into the purchase by an end of the year, And/Or New, LE+Ink special.

Sorry to hear you've had this bad experience. I've rarely used Amazon, but if it were me stuck with a fake Lamy, I would take the extra step to contact Amazon with your purchase information, and possibly Lamy - at least report the incident. Remotely you might have a positive response. There are well-known, reliable "Lamy" resellers that offer both sales and specials. In the past I've stopped buying the latest "color", only to be lured into the purchase by an end of the year, And/Or New, LE+Ink special.

Hmmm... yeah, maybe it is worth a shot. I just figure I'm screwed on account of it being a third-party seller (though the seller does have 100% feedback).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, talking with Amazon customer service paid off after all! They agreed to issue me a refund for the pen, even though it was from a 3rd party seller AND the return window had expired. I figure they saw the ungodly amount of money I spend on their website and decided to keep me happy. :)

Well, talking with Amazon customer service paid off after all! They agreed to issue me a refund for the pen, even though it was from a 3rd party seller AND the return window had expired. I figure they saw the ungodly amount of money I spend on their website and decided to keep me happy. :)

So glad this worked out for you!

Usually the worst that can happen to a polite request is "no".

Now you have the opportunity (!fun!) to shop for a Real Lamy, with years of reliable writing.

BTW, you might want to post a review at Amazon, noting their Positive response in your favor. (or pen them a note)

So glad this worked out for you!

Usually the worst that can happen to a polite request is "no".

Now you have the opportunity (!fun!) to shop for a Real Lamy, with years of reliable writing.

BTW, you might want to post a review at Amazon, noting their Positive response in your favor. (or pen them a note)

Yep--I just ordered the special edition Lamy Al-Star in "Copperorange." I've always heard such good things about Lamys, and I can't wait to see what it's like to write with a REAL one!

once you get writing with your real Lamy you will find it to be a reliable pen.