Which Would You Recommend, Platinum Plaisir Or A Sailor Highace Neo?

enzio

Hi!

I've narrowed down my next pen choice to these two pens: the Plaisir and the HighAce Neo. Both are avaible locally in a mom-and-pop store. The Plaisir is $11 (right now there's a sale, and it's only $8.5), the HighAce is $13. I've only tried the HighAce, and I quite like it. I only have a Preppy. I'm a student, I write a lot, have very small hands, and I would like to use cartridges. I find the HighAce Neo's slimness good (before the Preppy I used a Parker Jotter as my pen), but the Preppy's is also good.

Which one would you recommend?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sandy101

• enzio

• bone215

• Water Ouzel

Top Posters In This Topic

No experience of the Sailor, but I have both the plasir & the preppy. The plasir is more durable than the preppry and should not give you any problems though. I have one fine and one medium. I prefer the medium as the fine is just a bit too fine for me and is a bit scratchy. You can get a plastic plug for not much money which means you can use short international cartridges with the plasir too. You can't use the long as they are too tight a fit which can get messy.

plasir is the preppy with a metal body so if you like the preppy then you can go for it.

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

The satin finish of the Plasair is fantastic. I loved my preppy and wanted a more durable version. Very nice to write with...

A lifelong FP user...

And does the Plaisir offer a better writing experience? How's it better compared to the Preppy?

There is no significant difference. it's the same plastic grip & nib in a thin aluminium casing. it means the pen will be a bit more durable, but essentially it's the same as the preppy (not that the preppy is a bad pen, they are nice wee writers).

I have a Plaisir and like it quite a bit. It's what I regard as a travel pen - you take it with you when traveling because it writes well, but it's not so expensive that you'll have a heart attack if you lose it.

I don't have that other pen so I can't really compare the two.

Don't have the Sailor, so I can't comment on it.

I have a Plaisir and I have two issues with it. One is that it is a fairly dry writer. I didn't realize it for a long time, but when I put wetter ink in it the pen behaved much better (mine has a medium nib). The other issue is that after a while the coating on the nib starts to flake off. So now I have a lavender pen with a somewhat lavender and somewhat steel nib, and I've worried a bit about whether I'm going to have issues with that coating clogging up the tines.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've had both the Plaisir and the High Ace Neo.

The Plaisir (0.3mm) was by far a smoother writer than the Sailor (F), and while my wife still has the High Ace Neo, it almost never gets used because it's pretty scratchy. Yes, I've adjusted and done some smoothing; it's still not much fun to use. (I much prefer, say, Pilot 78g's in roughly the same price range.)

The Plaisir is no longer with us; I gave it away to a beginning fountain pen user, not being very fond of the look of the chubby cap band.

We've got several Platinum pens, from Preppy to Balance to 3776 Century to Kanazawa Maki-e, and they're all very good writers for us.

No Sailors at all, though I've got my eye on a 1911 Large some time in the future.

I own a Sailor clear candy, which has a M-F nib and I think the nib is amazing. It just fits my handwriting 'right out of the box' Nobody gets to touch that pen but me. It is supposed to be a beginner pen but I find it quite nice because of the nib. Looks wise, no.

I own a Platinum Balance and also a few preppies. The preppies I own in F nib are also amazing for the price, they write very well. If the Plasir writes the same way then it also is a good pen.

I do not own a neo.

You ask a tough question!

In my opinion, here is the good news: it is a win-win situation for you because I don't think you can make a mistake, both choices are good. Best is up to you. Pick one. Good luck.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste