Bril Inks

rkpai

I live in Hyderabad, India. Bril Royal Blue is available in a few stores, but mostly the date of manufacture is 2009 or 2010. Is it safe to use it in Indian ebonites (ASA, Gem, Deccan) ?. I have used a batch manufactured in 2009 in ASA Athlete, ASA I Can and the Gama Raja, did not have any issues, but I am wondering if they will cause any long term damage (corrosion of feed, clogging channels, harm the ebonite).

Has anyone faced any such issues with Bril's Royal Blue ink?

I ask the store owners if they can pull out some new stock, but in most cases either they don't have it or they give the usual .. "Bril is no more, stock isn't coming through"... which cant be true as I still get latest batches when I visit Bangalore.

Thanks

Rakshit

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• subbucal

• mehandiratta

• gudasrinivas

I feel there should be no problem. I am using quite old bottles of ink myself. Just invert the bottles (with the cap on, of course) once in a while and check if the ink is dropping sediments. Throw the bottle with sediments otherwise the ink should be fine for a long time.

BTW, why are you bothering with old stock in Hyderabad when you have access to the new stocks in Bangalore?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I feel there should be no problem. I am using quite old bottles of ink myself. Just invert the bottles (with the cap on, of course) once in a while and check if the ink is dropping sediments. Throw the bottle with sediments otherwise the ink should be fine for a long time.

BTW, why are you bothering with old stock in Hyderabad when you have access to the new stocks in Bangalore?

Thanks for clearing that up Hari. The last time I visited Bangalore, I got only a bottle or two thinking that it would be available in Hyderabad. But you are right, I will stock up the next time I visit Bangalore. I go there at least thrice a year, I should be able to get enough stock each time.

I'd think that checking for sediments the way you described would also hold good for Quink, Chelpark and Camlin inks as well..

Regards,

Rakshit

Edited by rkpai

If only I had a friend in bangalore... Who often would have come down to delhi..

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

If only I had a friend in bangalore... Who often would have come down to delhi..

why don't you buy them from Subbu?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

why don't you buy them from Subbu?

Just asked him to do that.... with my next order...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Hi. I am a new person in this blog...

I want to get camel scarlet red ink bottle.i live in porur,Chennai.

Can anyone tell me the place where I can get this ink.

I tried online retailer snapdeal but it says we have to buy as 6 bottles.

And also I want to know where I can get Bril blue-black ink bottle.

visit Parrys, lots of shops there keep Bril.

Bril blue black is discontinued... I have not seen it since last two years in Chennai

i have never seen a bottle of Bril Blue black, I have been looking for years.

Gem and Co is the official distributor for bril inks.

Yeah!! And I have been looking for one for a friend in Mumbai for years!

Yeah!! And I have been looking for one for a friend in Mumbai for years!

:) lmk, when you find a bottle.

The only blue-black that used to be seen was the Chelpark ones. Now even thats missing.

A lifelong FP user...

The only blue-black that used to be seen was the Chelpark ones. Now even thats missing.

we used to get camel blue black in the 80s . Ferrogallic...

we used to get camel blue black in the 80s . Ferrogallic...

Yeah. Used to eat nibs if left unflushed...

A lifelong FP user...

Yeah. Used to eat nibs if left unflushed...

not in my experience with steel nibs, but it is possible I never left a pen unflushed. Even Chelpark Blue-Black in those days was Ferrogallic.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/216369-chelpark-permanent-blue-black/?p=2275484

• 1 year later...

Anyone with experience mixing ink colors (to get blue black, for instance) or is that taboo?

I've mixed some black into a blue ink ED pen inadvertently when I decided it needed topping up. The result was a most unappealing shade of gray, but I'm sure more experiments with blue as the majority component can yield a good blue black.

Or are the essential particles in the blue and black suspensions fundamentally too different to properly mix? Is blue black ink made with a single uniform particulate that gives it that prized hue?

i have done mix of bril blue and black in various ratios...

all have been good...

vaibhav mehandiratta

I often mix Bril Black and Bril Red in the ratio 1:1 and have got a beautiful shade of brown. Never had issues with mixing inks.

Regards

Srinivas

Regards

Srinivas