Esterbrook Mods

spaceink

As someone who has dabbled with modifying watches with after-sale parts--what people often call "modding"--I thought of doing the same to some of my fountain pens that may benefit from a mod or two. I'm unlikely to sell any of my pens for a profit anyway and have a preference for personal touches.

The one I picked was a pastel green Esterbrook purse pen. As many have said, the plastic on these are very fragile, and the cap lip on this one was very problematic for me. About 4-5 cracks had appeared and every time I used the pen I was afraid a piece would fall off. Solvent welding did its job, to a point but the cracks would reappear. There was also an unsightly chip that I feared would enlarge into a larger crack.

I had used black epoxy paint to fill in cracks for some other pens and so an idea came to me to paint the cap lip with it. I was able to even fill in the gap where the chip had been, after a few layers had dried.

It doesn't totally seem out of place, don't you think? It's not a crazy change at all, more like a stabilizing repair, but i'll count it as a mod because it's not part of the original design.

Has anyone else done other Esterbrook mods of sorts? I remember seeing a few pens here that have been put together using parts other than Esterbrooks' and they seem really cool. I'm sure it drives the purists nuts but I don't find the term Frankenpen derogatory at all. They are often wonderful unique creations.

Edited by spaceink

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spaceink

• Hobiwan

• Runnin_Ute

• srfcasey

Nicely done. Works for me. Functionality without distraction. :thumbup:

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

I like it, and it's not like you took a NOS Esty and cut it up to make a Frankenpen, you just made a nice looking and much needed repair. Thus saving a pen from the parts bin.

Well done.

John L

I think it turned out looking nice and like the fact that you saved it from the bin. I think your mod goes well with the black jewel.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

• 2 weeks later...

Could you explain something for me? You took a pen in less than perfect condition, known for having brittle plastic, reinforced it and made it look like a factory option, and you are wondering if we like it? HE and a couple a LL's YES we do!!!

As a rule we appreciate the ingenuity it takes to keep a pen writing. You surpassed that by also tsreinforcing it in a way that fits stylistically with the pen. Great work!

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Thank you for your kind words. I just wanted to present an option for those who've had issues with the cracked cap lip on these. If anyone ever tries it, just exercise the usual caution you use when applying paint to get it smooth and relatively even.

Very well done repair/mod!!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

It looks great! I have the same pen and there are some hairline cracks in the cap. I just love the way it writes and feels in my hand - so anything that would keep a pen functional is OK with me! I will come back to this post if mine starts falling apart! Thanks for posting this!