Are Pilot Vanishing Point Poor Writers In General?

kissing

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kissing

• torstar

• graystranger

• doggonecarl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm amazed there aren't at least 50% of this thread isn't mentioning about endless problems regarding Pilots. Some of them look really attractive but it seems a bit risky to pay all that money when the chaces are likely that people will likely get a dodgy one.

Edited by WateryFlow

I'm amazed there aren't at least 50% of this thread isn't mentioning about endless problems regarding Pilots. Some of them look really attractive but it seems a bit risky to pay all that money when the chaces are likely that people will likely get a dodgy one.

word of advise lad treat everything like a dodgy product even if it's claimed to be very good as advertised do not even trust your on intuition until you hold it in your palm of your hands and wrote with it Edited by Algester

I have three VPs, two made in the 1960s and one modern version. I love them all. They write daily for me at work and at home. I use the cartridges and do not use the converter. Also, my nibs are of the fine variety, I like thinner lines than a medium gives me.

Just my $.02

Most don't own one, and those that do wouldn't probably use it as a wonder-inspiring pen in their collection.

Mine is very functional, from Richard Binder, no complaints, but I don't use it cause it doesn't "have it."

Just to chime into the discussion, I keep my VP on my desk all of the time. It's my go-to for a quick jot. I only use Pilot cartridges in it and it has always written beautifully.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

I have a couple of Vanishing Points and they are lovely writers. The only time I have had trouble with skipping etc, is when I used Rhodia Paper and had pushed the nib a bit hard. The nib moved away from the feed and so ink flow was compromised. If you have a heavy hand you can get these nibs out of adjustment. Mine tend to be buttery smooth....

Had ordered one VP two days ago and on seeing the title of this thread, I was like 'Oh Shyte have I blundered (again)'. Now waiting with fingers crossed...

I'll throw my two cents in the ring. I bought my first VP in 1999 and used it every day for some 14 years at work. Never had a problem. M nib. Used Pilot cartridges and refilled them with a syringe in 2009 when I discovered the wonderful Noodler's Black. Still using this pen as my EDC. Looks brand new and functions just like a brand new one. Wet a couple of years with out flushing. Never a dry start.

Added the copper LE last Fall and love it. Then bought the EF, F, and B nib assemblies. All write perfectly, never had any skipping. Can sit for over two weeks unused with no hard start. Used the Con-50 converters that came with the LE and the 3 nib assemblies, but I prefer filling the wonderful Pilot cartridges with the ink of my choice, so don't use the Con-50's any more. Never had any problem with them at all. All 5 nibs are very nicely wet and never skip. Never. They write with no pressure on the paper, only the barest contact. All of my 5 nibs are as they came from the factory.

I suspect that this tiny nib and the way it is ground and that the clip location makes you hold the pen in a fixed manner may be contributing to you losing the "sweet spot" as you write. I don't remember having to get used to how I held the VP back in 1999 after years of using standard capped fountain pens, but I might have. I know I write with either pen with any of the 5 nibs and have no trouble at all. I do know that when I use my stub nibs (particularly the 1.5 mm stub) in other pens I will rotate the nib a bit as I write and quickly lose the ink flow as the nib loses contact. I have to concentrate on my writing to avoid this.

If I lost one of my VP's I would immediately replace it with another or maybe a Pilot Decimo. I bet you will love your new pen. Please let us know.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I have a Pilot VP and have never had a bit of problem with it skipping. I have a fine nib...a very fine nib and it writes beautifully. I do use a cartridge rather than a converter and refill the cartridge with whatever color in I am in the mood for with a syringe. I have a converter but have not used it. The pen is fantastic for meetings where I don't have to bother with a cap. I purchased one for my son and he has had no problems either.

I do have a number of pens with converters and almost all of them stop writing after a while and I have to stop and screw the piston down a bit to get the pen writing. And I am not speaking only of Pilot, as a matter of fact none of the converters that act that way are in Pilot pens. Try a cartridge and see if that solves your problem.

My 2nd VP just arrived yesterday so now I figured I'd throw in my experience.

My first VP came with an EF nib tuned by Richard Binder. I have had it as my daily driver at work for jotting quick notes on poor quality copy paper and prescriptions for >6 months and it has been extremely reliable. Never a hard start, puts down ink when it's not empty, and doesn't dry out. The nib can be a wee bit scratchy, but it is an EF and the paper I have at work is not always the nicest paper to write on. I have filled the pen with various inks, from Noodler's to KWZI to Diamine to Iroshizuku, and none of them has ever caused issues.

My 2nd VP which I just received came with an F nib that was stock from the factory. From my very limited experience with it since I received it yesterday, the nib has been smooth as butter on my HP laserjet 24lb paper and even on copy paper at work. So far, I have not had any hard starts or skipping and it has been a pleasure to write with.

Both my VPs have CON-20s and I can now say I'm very happy with the practicality and the quality of my VPs. While not the smoothest pens I own, they are definitely the most practical and will be the ones I use the most and the hardest.

1959 Pelikan 400NN Flexible "F" | Pilot VP Matte Black, Binderized "EF" | TWSBI 580 with 0.6mm Pendleton Point Butter Line Stub | Waterman 0952 1/2v | Lamy Safari Charcoal "EF" and 1.1mm | Noodler's Konrad Fleur de Lis Blue Tortoise | Pilot Parallel 3.8mm

I have 3 VP's. I love them all. One has an EF nib a F nib & a M nib. All right great. I use the EF & M nibs daily. The Con 50 converters are fine for me. I like interacting with the pen & filling it.

I would like to send them off to get reworked just to see what that is like but I can't give them up that long..ha!

I think that your flow issue is likely ink related. Try a different one.

I have the perfect nib to match the limited ink capacity of these pens - a Binderized XXXXF super needle point (0.004" stroke). Not scratchy and I reink about as often as I do in other normal capacity converter pens.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I have a VP with a F nib and use it often with Montblanc midnight blue. It writes great for me. I have not had the issues with the ink getting stuck in the converter, but then I have one of the new ones with a metal thingy in it to bring the ink down so it can be used to the last drop. That seems to do the trick.

At my house we have or have had three VPN and four separate nib units: 1 fine 14k, 1 fine 18k, 1 extra fine black, 1 medium 14k. My wife has used a VPN for years, I just recently picked one up. My wife used her 18th fine so much she wore the nib slightly due to her rotated grip the tines are now slightly aligned different. It still writes perfectly in her hands but I can't get it to work. My fine 14k was purchased used and scratchy, I fixed that quick, floss ed it with brass shims and tried writing. It was a tad but dry for me, but I noticed that it was more due to the ink thank the pen. I only use Pilot Iroshizuku inks, Sailor inks or Noodlers turquoise eel and since switching to them my pen is nice and perfectly wet. I have never experienced skipping or anything of the like though my pen is VERY picky concerning paper quality as well. I use my VP quite a bit and next to it my Custom Heritage 91 gets the most work. Actually all my pilot pens are gorgeous and I wouldn't give them up for the world. The Custom 91 is the smoothest out of the box pen I have ever written with. And my Falcon is surprisingly smooth as well. Personally I have put my Pilots against both Platinum and Sailor pens that I own and my Pilots put them to absolute SHAME.

If I lost one of my VP's I would immediately replace it with another or maybe a Pilot Decimo. I bet you will love your new pen. Please let us know.

Got my VP. Inked it with the supplied cartridge. Started up within a few minutes. Has never skipped or dried out so far and writes instantaneously. Need to get used to the clip though.

A lifelong FP user...

After reading this, I somehow found my vanishing point (blue with gold accents) and gave it another spin.

Took overnight to clean out the ink encrusted inside.

This is a great pen for daily jotting. Doesn't hold a lot of ink though. Have to click it shut when I lay it down.

edit: purchased through Richard Binder with apparent customizing for my left-handed ways...

Edited by torstar

Used as a daily writer for notes and such they are great. I count them as among my most reliable writers. Never skip, great flow, smooth nib. Have two of them and five different nib units and none have any of the problems listed by the OP, I guess I've been lucky ?

To the OP, one suggestion might be to try using pilot inks that come in a cartridge instead of supersaturated inks like private reserve or noodlers, which may be clogging or reducing the flow in your VP. So perhaps give your nib units a real good clean with ammonia solution and/or ultrasonic cleaning and then try using some pilot ink.

Also I've found that cartridges seem to flow better than converters in these pens. I've especially liked using pilot blue black, I can carry extra cartridges if I'm on the road or refill from the bottle if I'm at home. It's the best of both worlds. Hope this is helpful.

Edited by cellmatrix

VPs are good writers but dry out too quickly unused for my liking.

I never experienced a VP drying out at all when left unused.

I used my first VP daily at work since I got it in 1999. It sat unused routinely over 3 and 4 day weekends with no problems drying out. Wrote the second the nib touched paper.

Twice a year this pen would go unused for 2 to 3 weeks during our plant shutdowns. Started the second it touched paper when back at work. I now have two, I also have VP nibs in EF, F, M, and B. Never had the nib in either VP dry out in either pen, and I am still using the pen from 1999. It is not uncommon for one of my two VP's to sit for several days unused, depending when I'm in a mood to use the ink in that particular pen.

If a VP had dried ink in the seal mechanism, that might make it dry out. I would make sure it was thoroughly cleaned out, use an ultrasonic cleaner if available. If it still dried out I would contact Pilot to see if they can replace the seal in the closing mechanism. I'm sure the elastomer that seals the barrel becomes rotted over time and needs replacing.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I'll toss in my two cents. I've shifted exclusively to VPs with Pilot ink in Pilot cartridges, setting aside more elegant screw caps. I have a half dozen moderns, including one Fermo, and all have been great, with three exceptions.

First, my one XF was just too scratchy out of the box. Never had it adjusted and only used Pilot red cartridges (yes, for grading). Second, I tried Polar Brown in an F, and it leaked like crazy. Went back to Pilot sepia. Third, I traded an M to a guy for another F, and he hated it. Said it probably had baby's bottom and was hard starting. I'd used it for years without issue.

I also have several older VPs, but no of the old cartridges or the mythical CON-W.