Are Pilot Vanishing Point Poor Writers In General?

kissing

I've only had one Vanishing Point, but I bought it from Richard Binder, so it has had no problems whatsoever.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kissing

• torstar

• graystranger

• doggonecarl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 2 VPs, and both of them are wonderful writers. One is from around Christmas 2014, bought from John Mottishaw, and the other one is from 2006, bought by the original owner, also from John. Both have been absolutely wonderful writers, absolutely problem free.

Edited by Wolverine1

It very well might be how you hold the pen. It only takes slight rotation to take it off the sweet spot. The VP has a small nib and the "rotation" might not be as noticable as with a pen with a large nib.

I have that issue with my hooded nibbed pens.

This is probably the answer. Also, the clip design may force you to change your pen hold in a subtle way, and perhaps you don't realize it. If so, then you'd either have to find a way to make it work for you (including perhaps sending your pens off to a nibmeister), or else give up on VPs.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I have a regular F nib and it writes OK, not my favorite but not bad. The problem is the converter ink capacity. It's not an everyday carry pen for me becase of the fairly low capacity of the filler. Given that, the F nib was a good choice, at least that makes the ink supply last longer after a fill...

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I have a grey with silver trim - still kind of lust after one of the yellow or orange ones. But not enough to spend the $90 to get one.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I have a VP with two nibs, medium and fine. Both nibs are 18k. I have not experienced skipping or hard starting with either Pilot cartridges or bottled Aurora ink. The medium is a bit smoother than the fine. Even though the nibs are excellent, I don't find the VP to be a particularly good writing pen because of the weight distribution.

I've had a fine-nibbed VP for almost five years, and the nib's never given me a moment's trouble.

One time the pen leaked in my purse (I've never discovered why), and so I only use it at home. It hasn't leaked since.

Stupid question, have you used the same converter with all nib units? If you have i'd suggest that you try a Pilot cartridge. Might not change a thing but worth a try.

Non notisi signi.

Quick answer: no. We have two, one with an EF and one with a B nib. Both are among the best-writing pens we have (out of an embarrassing number). I've experienced none of the issues you describe.

The only suggestions I can offer are first, try Pilot inks: then make their own ink for a reason. Second, look at mechanics like pressure and especially pen angle. I think none of the Pilot pens other than the student ones are designed to tolerate a lot of rotation or pressure. Third, if you are using very fine-finished paper and you tend to have sweaty or oily hands, sometimes just getting skin oils on the paper can cause a pen with a very smooth nib to skip. And VP nibs tend to be very smooth.

ron

I have several VPs because I like the functionality and design of the pens, a couple of regular, a Decimo, and a Fermo. They are absolutely one of best models around for ease of use, especially for taking quick notes.

That said, I've been lucky with all my nib units. None have been adjusted or tuned by nibmeisters and range from F-B. I'm sorry to see the OPs problems, but maybe you should change the setup somewhat as suggested by others. I use cartridges with mine because the Con-50 is just too little capacity. My pens have worked with most inks, but some are not as free flowing as others, so YMMV.

Delurking . . . I have a number of VPs purchased in the past couple of years in medium and broad, with no nib adjustments to any. I print exclusively, and with my typical inks (mostly Private reserve) have never noticed the slightest problem. Once or twice with a different ink and a longish period in between using it (i.e., weeks, with me having kept the pen loaded), I've noticed that a pen may be slow to start, but that's probably just as much on me as on the pen for storing it with ink for so long.

On the whole the VPs have been extremely smooth and very reliable, and due to the retraction feature far more convenient when I'm grading or jotting notes, to the point that I don't often use anything else. Only when I'm doing extended composition do I go back to my Sailor and Pelikan. The only downside to the VP is the limited ink supply. YMMV. :-)

Delurking . . . I have a number of VPs purchased in the past couple of years in medium and broad, with no nib adjustments to any. I print exclusively, and with my typical inks (mostly Private reserve) have never noticed the slightest problem. Once or twice with a different ink and a longish period in between using it (i.e., weeks, with me having kept the pen loaded), I've noticed that a pen may be slow to start, but that's probably just as much on me as on the pen for storing it with ink for so long.

On the whole the VPs have been extremely smooth and very reliable, and due to the retraction feature far more convenient when I'm grading or jotting notes, to the point that I don't often use anything else. Only when I'm doing extended composition do I go back to my Sailor and Pelikan. The only downside to the VP is the limited ink supply. YMMV. :-)

Thanks for delurking, your comment is very fair for someone who uses them often.

My two bob's worth. Maybe I've been lucky but I've really had no problems with the several VP's I own. I initially was put off by what I thought was the gimmicky nature of the pens but once I tried one I became a great fan. Good quality, very reliable writers (F and EF nibs) with little if any skipping and by far the most practical FP's for everyday use at work - they truly are a biro substitute. I know some people find the clip gets in the way when writing but this isn't a problem for me.

Good luck with yours!

I HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE WITH MY VP. I like the clicking functionality above all, but I complained here of my problems, similar to yours. So many people tried to convince me it was ME! But it is not. Read and tell me. I think I solved the problem with a brass sheet combo of two that I ordered from Goulet Pens. After using them both, first the thinner and then the other, it started to write wetter and more profusely to a level it can be my take-anywhere pen. No more considerable skips. Try that! BTW, I sue Noodler's Balck because others don't work as well on mine (M). It is a finicky pen.

Edited by Oldtimer

I refill Pilot cartridges, as I find the converters troublesome.

I agree about the Pilot Con 50 converter. I've never had as much problems with converters as I have had with the Pilot Con 50 converter. It tends to starve ink flow to the nib.