• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• Helen350

• Miles R.

• PortiaDaCosta

I have ordered a bright yellow one on ebay for £1.99. I am very impressed indeed with Jinhaos though one needs to write on thick paper stock to stop bleed through. One alight annoyance with my Jinhaos is that the nib always seems to be smeared with ink. Also the ridiculous 18K GP imprint on the steel nibs: who are they trying to kid? However they are good sturdy pens. I might put a goulet fine on my most used pen though.

Jinhao 886 in gold color filled with KWZ IG #3 ink.

word-12.jpg?w=768

One of my favorite pocket pens. I frequently take one to class.

I have ordered a bright yellow one on ebay for £1.99. I am very impressed indeed with Jinhaos though one needs to write on thick paper stock to stop bleed through. One alight annoyance with my Jinhaos is that the nib always seems to be smeared with ink. Also the ridiculous 18K GP imprint on the steel nibs: who are they trying to kid? However they are good sturdy pens. I might put a goulet fine on my most used pen though.

I think you need to change paper.. It will bleed with any pen which lays broad lines or leaves lot of ink...

These are good pens for the price.. This one is a pocket pen... Yellow us lovely color and getting it for less than 2 pounds is amazing which includes shipping.. That reminds me I need to add other colors in my collection...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

One of my favorite pocket pens. I frequently take one to class.

Yes lovely pocket pen.. Sadly it comes with only medium nib..

vaibhav mehandiratta

Yes lovely pocket pen.. Sadly it comes with only medium nib..

I think it is a #5 nib, so you can exchange it for a #5 fine or extra fine, broad or oblique broad (if that is an option for you).

I think it is a #5 nib, so you can exchange it for a #5 fine or extra fine, broad or oblique broad (if that is an option for you).

Yes..

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 6 months later...

I have three of these -- blue, gold, and green, all spider free. Right now they go for about $2US on eBay without spiders and twice as much for a spider web. I think I can get along without that;-) Mine have been perfectly OK. The nib looks about the same as the nib on the 599 Safari clone. The caps on mine seem airtight but the green one seems less prone to drying out than the gold. (Blue is not currently inked.) My green is a fairly tame light green.

I came to this page after reading many complaints about the plastic on the bodies of the 599, 991, and 992 Jinhaos. Those run about $!.20 but these metal pens might be a better deal if they are more durable. No paint problems yet with mine though they have not seen much use. The gold one looks like anodized aluminum which could be more durable than enamel.

Another competitor in the super cheap class is the Lion King line but in my experience they have more problems with their plastic than do the Jinhao pens. Most of mine have cracked and the cracks in the caps constitute an air leak so then the ink dries out and the pen is hard to start.

My Jinhao 886 is in regular rotation and I love it as it is not as heavy or thick as the X450 and x750 and I can use it for a long time. But I've found the plastic section very annoying, as the threads aren't the smoothest. Everytime I insert a cartridge/converter the nib section jumps out of the plastic, and I have to push it back inside. I've also found the feed stores a load of ink and no matter how many times I flush it, I would get a mixture of ink at the beginning. But then again, this could just be a QC problem...I love the cute shape of this pen, though. It looks cute and original, and the perfect size and weight for my hands :)

My Jinhao 886 is in regular rotation and I love it as it is not as heavy or thick as the X450 and x750 and I can use it for a long time. But I've found the plastic section very annoying, as the threads aren't the smoothest. Everytime I insert a cartridge/converter the nib section jumps out of the plastic, and I have to push it back inside. I've also found the feed stores a load of ink and no matter how many times I flush it, I would get a mixture of ink at the beginning. But then again, this could just be a QC problem...I love the cute shape of this pen, though. It looks cute and original, and the perfect size and weight for my hands :)

I have had the same type problem. Now when I reinsert the converter, I make sure to hold the nib/feed securely in place. When you give the converter/cartridge a push down on the stem, it will not force the entire feed unit out of the section. I have given thought to using an epoxy to secure the feed in the section (gluing on the part of the feed that does not hold the nib). That way I can still remove the nib for cleaning, and for rinsing off the feed that is exposed. I am wondering if your 2nd issue is related to the feed not fitting securely against the section wall (friction fit)? The 886 is a cute pen, a nice writer, and perfect for carrying around in my purse. After all, it cost me less than $1.85, so I don't have much complain about. After all it does have a screw cap! B)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This was one of the first pens I ordered when I went back to fountain pens 4 years ago and I had a lot of problems getting this pen to work. Now that I have more experience with pens I was able to tune the nib to make it a decently wet writer (a set of brass shims is essential). I'm still having issues with how fast the pen dries up so I removed the screw attaching the clip and filled the clip slit with silicon grease. I'll see tomorrow if it helps. The tiny screw has minor signs of corrosion so I will probably cover that in grease as well since this cap will be more moist if the drying issue get fixed.

I did have a problem with the section completely disassembling at some point, the glue holding it together just got loose from my trying different nibs and cleaning. I fixed that with shellac and that seems to hold well.

Small pens are great. I got the bug a little while ago, but surprisingly I've never heard of the Jinhao 886. I just ordered one after reading your review.

They are not that small. I think their chubbiness and the very short cap makes them look shorter than they really are. The 886 is half an inch (13mm) shorter than a Jinhao 992 and almost exactly the same length as a Shaeffer Dollar Pen. The Kaweco Sport is about 0.75 inches shorter than the 886, I see the 886 as a nice option if you like the 992 but don't like the plastic breaking. Similar styling. But on quality and durability I think Sheaffer wins hands down. They have only been around for 60 years or so and that is not enough time to measure their life expectancy;-) However, they are more functional than cute, and cost an order of magnitude more now than they did when new. But maybe they are a better investment than a Jinhao,