Recommend A Journal Please

sombrueil

I got lost in the reviews . . . I need a new journal and I would like to be pointed in the right direction. What I use:

• A5
  • UNlined
  • smooth-finish paper (like Rhodia)
  • ivory or cream
  • NO show-through, NO bleedthrough. I use flexible nibs and need a paper that can handle it
  • lies flat
  • cover is not as important but would like a nice cover . . .

Where should I look, please advise! It takes me about a year to get through 180 pages both sides, so I can afford better quality. I use Rhodia pads to jot ephemera down, my journals are keepers.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• dematante

• pepsiplease69

• Douglas Johnson

If you like how the Rhodia paper performs in terms of opacity/show through, you might like the Rodia webnotebook/webby.

It does come in A5 size with blank pages (unruled) ivory color.

Another option would be Quo Vadis Habana.

The Goulets carry both (no affiliation)

I think you won't be disappointed with either one.

Bindewerk. German. A5, unlined. The paper is a bit toothy, textured, but I've never experienced any hangups (paper,not me.) Lies flat. No bleed-through. Approximately 280 pages, very sturdy with metal edging on the boards, a pocket on the inside of the back board. Cream paper. It might seem expensive at 40 dollars per, the last time I purchased, but it is a superior book as a journal. I've been using it as my journal for five years or so. I just counted ten volumes on my journal shelf. I buy mine from Papeterie Nota Bene in Montreal. I don't know of a U.S. supplier. It's also available from Modulor in Germany. Both companies provide excellent service.

Edited by dematante

B. Leach

I have one of the Seven Seas Tomoe River "Writer" journals, from Nanami Paper. Their "Standard" journal is unlined, and uses the same paper. The only one of your criteria it does not meet perfectly, in my experience thus far, is that there be absolutely no show-through. I can see a slight shadow of the writing on the opposite side of a page. But the paper is the best I've used, in every other respect, so I thought I'd offer it up as a possibility.

I was reading another thread about Paperblanks. I abandoned them after I found the paper very inconsistent and prone to bleed through -- but others have a completely different experience. Of course the covers are dynamite.

I've had reasonably good luck with the CR Gibson Markings journals in the past, but they no longer seem to have the ones I like anyplace -- the ones at Staples have more pages but the paper is thinner (plus they're lined pages).

At the moment, I'm quite fond of the Miquelrius 200 page journal I picked up in Boston over Christmas at Bob Slate Stationers (no affliliation). To the point that I'm considering actually spending the extra money and ordering a 300 page journal from the miquelrius-usa website, even though their cover color selection seems a bit sparse from what I remember for the unlined page ones.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You might consider finding an old/vintage blank book/journal/ledger. Often they were made for use with fountain pens so the paper/ink question is moot.

Also, you can sometimes find blank ones with several hundred pages and a decent binding for relatively little money - see the "bay" or etsy.

There is possible downside - if you are looking to buy a "bunch" that all look exactly the same and may look VERY cool on your shelf, old/vintage journals are usually NOT the way to go.

Been keeping a journal for about 20 years - probably 15-20,000 pages and most of the are very different. I doubt anyone will be interested in what I wrote so they may keep someone warm for a couple of hours as fuel for the fire. :lol: :lol:

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I have one of the Seven Seas Tomoe River "Writer" journals, from Nanami Paper. Their "Standard" journal is unlined, and uses the same paper. The only one of your criteria it does not meet perfectly, in my experience thus far, is that there be absolutely no show-through. I can see a slight shadow of the writing on the opposite side of a page. But the paper is the best I've used, in every other respect, so I thought I'd offer it up as a possibility.

Let me second this.

Someone mentioned Rhodia journals, which I have long loved, but I have problems with bleeding when using a flexible nib that puts down a lot of ink. The Rhodia journals are better than the Moleskines, which are still very good with gel pens, but again, they aren't the right journals for fountain pens. I've been through probably 5 of the top brand name journals, but nothing comes close to Tomoe River paper in the Seven Seas journal. And as far as I know, Nanami Paper is the only company out there having them made.

Let me second this.

Someone mentioned Rhodia journals, which I have long loved, but I have problems with bleeding when using a flexible nib that puts down a lot of ink. The Rhodia journals are better than the Moleskines, which are still very good with gel pens, but again, they aren't the right journals for fountain pens. I've been through probably 5 of the top brand name journals, but nothing comes close to Tomoe River paper in the Seven Seas journal. And as far as I know, Nanami Paper is the only company out there having them made.

Design Y in Japan uses Tomoe River for their journals. They are beautifully made.

http://design-y.near-mint.com/

B. Leach

Let me second this.

I absolutely love my nanami seven seas writer.

It's got an even more charming appearance with the gfeller kip leather cover which is aging slowly and developing a nice patina.

Nanami has a nice page describing how to deal with show-through here.

For me personally, show-through is not an issue at all. I consider it as background white noise. It's actually a bit pleasing to have your writing show through, it gives your notebook a more written-in feel, instead of pristine, blazing white page. I feel I'd be more likely a victim to writer's block if the page was utterly pristine. A little bit of messy-ness is condusive to my creativity (that's just me though).

Tomoe River being so lightweight and gorgeous, I use an underlying guide-sheet to keep my lines straight. And the translucency of the paper factors significantly in my being able to do that. If the paper is more opaque, then sure I won't have the show-through, but I'll also have a hard time seeing the ruling lines on the guide sheet.

I love how my writing looks on an unlined piece of paper, with no ruling on it, and yet my text is perfectly lined and bordered.

The Seven Seas Writer already comes with ruled paper with very light ruling that is not invasive at all, but I still use a guide sheet to have margins on the sides.