Printing, Cursive, Cursive Italic Or Fancy Schmancy

GClef

See Pic Below  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Easiest on the eyes?

2. 2. Easiest to read?

The different kind of candies are the different kind of script styles and we do not get the style we want, but the style others think we want?

Cepasaccus

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GClef

• Cepasaccus

• tinkerteacher

• domnortheast

The different kind of candies are the different kind of script styles and we do not get the style we want, but the style others think we want?

Cepasaccus

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/0312150022-1.jpg

I found it difficult to vote. I know I wasn't supposed to vote based on your own writing, but without any other samples showing, that was all I had to go on. It's hard to pick just a single style out of all the possible handwritings from all possible people. Someone may be skilled in fancy-schmancy writing but have terrible illegible printing, while someone else may have a nice elegant cursive, but be aweful at italics. And then you have to consider the reader, who may or may not have any training in cursive, which may make it difficult for them to read cursive and fancy-schmancy writing.

For the record, I chose D for both options, although I don't know how useful my vote is.

Being a Roundhand man of the modern French/Italian version (I was taught handwriting by European Jesuit priests with long metal rulers), I couldn't really find a box to tick.

I take it that the poll was designed for USAians? And that Cursive refers to the abonimation that is D'Nealian?

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

Being a Roundhand man of the modern French/Italian version (I was taught handwriting by European Jesuit priests with long metal rulers), I couldn't really find a box to tick.

I take it that the poll was designed for USAians? And that Cursive refers to the abonimation that is D'Nealian?

"Cursive" in the US refers to any writing system where the letters are joined and the pen is not lifted except to cross 't' and 'x' and dot 'i' and 'j' for the miniscule set of letters. The majuscules are more likely to have lifts though, or to not connect the the miniscule letter that follows them.

Most American cursive hands resemble each other and if you were taught any one of them you can probably read the rest, but there are many. This is due to schools here being "locally" controlled and so no single version is standardized throughout the nation or even throughout most "states".

D'Nealian is not what I was taught (Zaner-Blosser and at least one other), but it isn't much different.

Edited by mrcharlie

Thank you Stanley Howler and mrcharlie for those excellent explanations. Great thread this.

I am theoratical an American, but have never really lived there as my parents fled the country in the late sixties, and I find Americans' love/hate relationship with handwriting fascinating as I now myself try to remember and relearn the French/Italian Modern Roundhand (with a Southern African twist) that those priests and nuns drilled and wacked into me three decades ago. I am a "fake American" as my students call me, haha.

I was confused though when "real" Americans used the words cursive and italic to refer to two separate writing styles. From my non-USA education background, italic is cursive or 'joined writing'.

From my observations Americans seem to be turning more and more to Italic and its modern interpretations, like Getty-Dubay, yes? I suppose it is a rebellion against D'Nealian/Zaner-Blosser and the like, which are really just bastardised roundhand.

Although I can appreciate the hard crispness of the American Italic styles, Modern Roundhand, like what is used in Europe and South America, is just such a wonderful mixture of simple practicality, beauty, speed and legibility, saving the frilliness for the upper-case or majuscules.

If I ever get a better camea than my iPad's, I will post up a sample of my three decades degraded modern roundhand.

If I ever get a better camea than my iPad's, I will post up a sample of my three decades degraded modern roundhand.

Oh...go on, post some pics...why wait...the iPad is perfectly adequate for the job. I often use my phone (as per my post above) when I am not at home and able to use my scanner.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/0323152029-1.jpg

Funny thing is his personality is just as "bombastic" as his handwriting.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/20150323_220010-1.jpg

I apologize for the inferior picture, but I'm using my Samsung Galaxy Tablet camera which does not take the best pictures.

Coming, need to arrange some things and take some coffee and medicine, and then I'll take a iPad photo of my sloppy writing.

Interesting take on Roundhand. I suppose it is so different from the usual NAmerican style, and rarely used, that it would be hard for you (and your writing hand) to switch over to it. For me it is the opposite, italics and such feel very slow and laborious. Almost an unnatural feeling to me, like trying to slant my letters in the NAmerican style.

As for speed, watch a YouTube clip of a French person writing in 'cursif' to see just how fast one can write in modern european roundhand.

Very nice handwriting, btw.

As promised, as a photo of my sloppy, degraded 'cusive' handwriting.

post-121456-0-95880100-1427285968_thumb.jpg

Ouch ... definitely need to move improving my handwriting to the top of the list.

Ouch ... definitely need to move improving my handwriting to the top of the list.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/0327152220-1.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/0327152220-1.jpg

Stroke consistence and spacing, both vertical and horizontal.

Seyes should help with the spacing, practice practice should help with the strokes.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/imag0001.jpg

Actually, the text is the start of a very long letter...

Now, who, without having to "google" it, knows what "letter" I'm referring to?

Edited by GClef

I don't get that much letters. I don't know.

I'm guessing not too many people know, but I am sure there are a few.