Printing, Cursive, Cursive Italic Or Fancy Schmancy

GClef

See Pic Below  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Easiest on the eyes?

2. 2. Easiest to read?

It would be interesting to see the results broken down by demographics (such as age or culture). For instance, I learned to write in cursive in the mid-1960s. So I found that one (D) easiest on the eyes. But found the cursive italic (B) to be easiest to read. If they had been ranked, I would have had to call the "fancy schmantzy" hand (A) hardest to read, and also hardest on my eyes. But would my grandmother have had the same trouble with (A)? I wonder.

I *also* wonder if I skew the poll, having originally majored in Graphic Design -- so I have taken classes in typography and calligraphy (although not having ever learned Copperplate).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Perhaps someone smarter than me could set up a poll breaking down the demographics. That would be interesting indeed.

The examples I presented are my handwriting styles, with the "fancy-schmancy" as my crude attempt at Spencerian - with a personal flair - that I've incorporated in to my handwriting rotation.

Copperplate/roundhand to me, is calligraphy. I don't do calligraphy, and I don't consider calligraphy practical for "everyday handwriting".

Again, the purpose of this poll was not to show-off my handwriting, but to make a point...which will be revealed at a later time.

Frankly, I'm surprised only 51 members, as of this post, out of the 90,000+, have bothered to vote.

Edit: I stand corrected...53.

Edited by GClef

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GClef

• Cepasaccus

• tinkerteacher

• domnortheast

Whilst I find C (print) to be the clearest, it's also the one that takes me the longest to read.

Edited by Andrew-

Whilst I find C (print) to be the clearest, it's also the one that takes me the longest to read.

Very interesting.

:: nudge::

I think the nudge was for me :lol: . Of course I chose that one! Cursive is better than everything else. Period.

I think the nudge was for me :lol: . Of course I chose that one! Cursive is better than everything else. Period.

Actually, the "nudge" is to move the thread to the top of the topic....but why THAT cursive?

You just HAD to be the odd-ball, didn't cha?

If easiest on the eyes means the nicest looking, that it is A. The uneven line width is not so good, but it somehow wins over D. I believe it is the more clear letter separation.

Easiest to read is C, because I most often read printing and the cursive is none I see over here in Germany.

If I consider not just your examples, but other people's "fancy schmancy", it wins easily for easy on the eyes, but rarely would it win for readability. Yours is pretty readable.

I voted for print as the most readable, and I think that is in general true, but I receive correspondence with difficult to read printing from some people. However, probably their cursive is even worse, if they can write cursive. Also, limiting it to your examples, the cursive italic is very close to as readable as the print; say 90% or more.

Some people I know or correspond with (including, but not limited to, my father) print in all caps. This is less easy on the eyes than any of your choices, and not as easy to read as either b or c.

I don't think I've ever received correspondence written in a cursive italic.

Edited by mrcharlie

If I consider not just your examples, but other people's "fancy schmancy", it wins easily for easy on the eyes, but rarely would it win for readability. Yours is pretty readable.

I voted for print as the most readable, and I think that is in general true, but I receive correspondence with difficult to read printing from some people. However, probably their cursive is even worse, if they can write cursive. Also, limiting it to your examples, the cursive italic is very close to as readable as the print; say 90% or more.

Some people I know or correspond with (including, but not limited to, my father) print in all caps. This is less easy on the eyes than any of your choices, and not as easy to read as either b or c.

I don't think I've ever received correspondence written in a cursive italic.

This is good. I like feedback like this.

Thanks.

If easiest on the eyes means the nicest looking, that it is A. The uneven line width is not so good, but it somehow wins over D. I believe it is the more clear letter separation.

Easiest to read is C, because I most often read printing and the cursive is none I see over here in Germany.

Is "D" more of an American "thing" you think?

I would like to see the cursive that you use in Germany.

German cursive is shown here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ausgangsschrift#Ausgangsschriften_seit_1953

And the older here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Kurrentschrift

I learned the "Lateinische Ausgangsschrift" from 1953 which is based on the "Deutsche Normalschrift" from 1941. For me already the first word has a strange I and a strange s in your cursive. The I in your first sample is more fancy, but looks more familiar to me than that in the last sample.

The newer cursive is simplified and more similar to printing, esp. the upper case letters, or it is not anymore cursive but printing - the "Hamburger Druckschrift".

The older cursive, the "Deutsche Kurrent", is really only seen in very old letters and notes. With line width variation it can be very beautiful, but in practice if find it difficult to read, because of the similarity of many of the lower case letters. Words like "Klemmennummern umnummerieren" look like an even saw blade unless carefully written.

Printing easiest to read, but fancy cursive makes me think that it is worth reading.

Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

The first sample is more carefull writing without painting it and the second more fast writing without losing to much readability.

Cepasaccus.

post-91927-0-55118000-1426103695_thumb.jpg

post-57071-0-88550500-1426107549.jpg

GClef you have been a major contributor and source of inspiration to many here, and I'm glad to participate in your thread.

This is just my opinion but my print/cursive italic seems easier to read/ easier on the eyes and has more pizazz in comparison with my monoline business cursive, which remains a work in progress.

Cepasaccus: I like your cursive, it has some nice personality to it! My cursive seems pretty blasé in comparison but I will keep practicing at it.

Great thread!

:thumbup:

Edited by cellmatrix

When I was a kid, one of my father's sisters lived with us, after my mom passed away.

She took care of me and my younger brother and my father...you know, doing the cooking and all, food shopping and other stuff.

When she would come home from buying groceries, there would always be a bag of Three Musketeers candy in one of the bags, and my brother and I would eat them.

In a conversation with my aunt about "them good ole days", I tell her that I can't even stand to look at a Three Musketeers candy bar, because I had it so much as a kid. She says, "Well, I got them, because you always ate them."

So, I say, "Yeah, we ate them, because that's what you always got us!"

How funny is that?!

Now, can someone tell me what a story about Three Musketeers candy has to do with this thread?

Sorry about your mom GClef, its a tough thing to go thru especially when you were just a kid and it sounds like your aunt sacrificed a lot to help and your brother at a critical time. Your story seems to show how miscommunication can sabotage good intentions. Is that what is happening with this thread?

Edited by cellmatrix

Sorry about your mom GClef, its a tough thing to go thru especially when you were just a kid and it sounds like your aunt sacrificed a lot to help and your brother at a critical time. Your story seems to show how miscommunication can sabotage good intentions. Is that what is happening with this thread?

Thank you for that, my aunt was the best "2nd mom" anyone could ask for.

As for your explanation between my Three Musketeers anecdote and this thread....not quite there.