Printing, Cursive, Cursive Italic Or Fancy Schmancy

GClef

See Pic Below  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Easiest on the eyes?

2. 2. Easiest to read?

This poll isn't about my handwriting - or anybody else's; it's about preferences when reading handwriting in general.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/imag0001.jpg

This poll isn't about my handwriting - or anybody else's; it's about preferences when reading handwriting in general.

Edited by GClef

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GClef

• Cepasaccus

• tinkerteacher

• domnortheast

Of course, that's not really fair, GClef. When you use your very clear, well-practiced hands, the differences in legibility are practically nonexistent. Don't you have a toddler that prints? A doctor that writes in cursive? A priest that scribbles in cursive italic? Now, that would be a fair test.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Of course, that's not really fair, GClef. When you use your very clear, well-practiced hands, the differences in legibility are practically nonexistent. Don't you have a toddler that prints? A doctor that writes in cursive? A priest that scribbles in cursive italic? Now, that would be a fair test.

Enjoy,

Yes, thank you. My handwriting(s) are very clear, because they are well-practiced, but this poll isn't about my handwriting - or anybody else's; it's about preferences when reading handwriting in general.

Your fancy schmancy suffers from inconsistent line emphasis not letter forms. If you were to have a uniform line it would be as easily read and any of the others. The thick thin lines interferes with the visual flow of the writing. If you were to be consistent, say always create a thick line on the downstroke I don't think that would be a problem because of consistency.

Your practiced hand in all four would lead to their being both easy on the eyes and perfectly readable.

I like how A 'LOOKS' like for a letter or card, but it isn't the easiest to read.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

An interesting poll I think because it doesn't explicitly state what type of reading matter the reader might be dealing with.

For example, if I was reading a large and complicated text then I would mostly be interested in the subject matter itself and for that purpose I am used to reading book print, typographical fonts so I would choose C.

If, on the other hand, I was reading a personal correspondence from a friend then I would rather they wrote in their own idiosyncratic hand (even if it meant that I had to work a little harder to understand them) and I would be....disappointed...if they were to resort to a print script simply because of a lack of confidence in the legibility of their cursive hand. So for personal correspondence - D or B.

My younger friends (teens and 20s) write with a blend of print and cursive which is generally very legible, I have an older friend I correspond with whose handwriting often has the appearance of a series of minor undulations on the page but it is still legible once I get into the swing of the style and I like the fact I can spot her hand from the other side of the room.

Dom

An interesting poll I think because it doesn't explicitly state what type of reading matter the reader might be dealing with.

Actually, the text is the start of a very long letter. I wanted to keep the poll as simple as possible. Edited by GClef

I agree with Stanley, if it is a letter from a good friend, I would prefer it in his/her personal handwriting, and if it is script, so be it. I will struggle to read it if I must, as long as it was reasonably legible.

I know for certain that I could not read what my brother writes if he uses his signature handwriting, as it is just a line with a few bumps.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I wonder what the results would be if this poll was available outside of the fountain pen community?

Perhaps a facebook or other social network poll might yeild results from a broader demograph?

Perhaps a facebook or other social network poll might yeild results from a broader demograph?

It looks like Facebook does not allow polling anymore.

It looks like Facebook does not allow polling anymore.

Hmm....use Survey Monkey with a link on Facebook to the poll? Probably too long winded and people will ignore it I guess.

I would like to run a survey here in the uni, that would be interesting (to me at least).

It would be interesting to see the results broken down by demographics (such as age or culture). For instance, I learned to write in cursive in the mid-1960s. So I found that one (D) easiest on the eyes. But found the cursive italic (B) to be easiest to read. If they had been ranked, I would have had to call the "fancy schmantzy" hand (A) hardest to read, and also hardest on my eyes. But would my grandmother have had the same trouble with (A)? I wonder.

I *also* wonder if I skew the poll, having originally majored in Graphic Design -- so I have taken classes in typography and calligraphy (although not having ever learned Copperplate).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."