How Many Pens Make You A Collector?

sidthecat

You can be a collector with just ONE pen....a pen of great value or significance, such as:

• the pen that was used to write the Declaration of Independence
  • the pen that was used to sign the Declaration of Independence
  • the pen that was used to write the US Constitution
  • the pen that Eisenhower or McArthur signed to end WWII (Europe for Ike and Pacific for McArthur)
  • a "one of" pen that is of HIGH value
  • and many other significant events in national and world history

And all with proper supporting documentation to support authenticity.

Now for the average FP geek...

• as few as one.
    • In this case it might be family history, such as your parents or grandparents pen.
    • One with the intention or thought of getting other pens of some relation to that pen (type, color, etc.)

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• ANM

• rochester21

• The Blue Knight

You can be a collector with just ONE pen....a pen of great value or significance, such as:

• the pen that Eisenhower or McArthur signed to end WWII (Europe for Ike and Pacific for McArthur)

• as few as one.
    • In this case it might be family history, such as your parents or grandparents pen.
    • One with the intention or thought of getting other pens of some relation to that pen (type, color, etc.)

Good point!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• as few as one.

I am not sure I'd call someone who has a memento from a special occasion a collector. My having my grandfathers railroad watch does not make me a watch collector.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

For the special occasion pen it goes to the quality vs. quality issue.

You could have ONE really historically significant pen, or many pens of no historical significance.

I conceed the point about a family item.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

When my heirs put my things up for sale after I'm dead, they will call it a collection of fountain pens and hope some sucker will buy the lot.

How do you define, and possibly constrain, that acquisitive urge? Number? Kind? Condition? What makes you pull the trigger?

I backed away from too broad a definition of fountain pens to collect. I've chosen narrow areas so that I've had a few mini-collections to work on. Some are obvious; others not so much. I used to collect Spencerian pens (most made by Conklin), and when I'd sated that need, a Conklin collector happily bought the lot to cherry-pick for his Conklin collection and sell the rest. And I made a new friend. Then there's the obvious color-coded Waterman No. 7 and No. 5 pens. I collected the complete set of the black plastic ones because everyone is after the ripple versions. When that was done, I sold off all but the ones I use. I had all the sizes and colors and variations of the 1950s Meisterstucks and many of the 1930-40s flattops, but that tied up too much capital in pens that I hardly used, so those are almost all gone now. I'll keep my two favorite, though, and that's a nib thing, not a size/popularity thing.

What's Fred collecting now? Well, you know that ray celluloid that Waterman used in their Ink-Vues? I'm collecting other brands of pens that used it. Most are lower-tier Italian and German pens, and even a Wearever. There aren't many, so that keeps things under control. I have yet to meet anyone who is collecting in that parameter, which eliminates demand for the same pens. It's true that there's no boundary to my ray collection as one might determine through an old pen company catalogue, so my collection just kinda drifts along from one surprise to the next. One good friend from Hamburg Germany on arrival to the last DC show walked up to me and dropped a no-name ray pen in my hand and said "For you!" Very kind!

I'm also gathering hard rubber Crescent-fillers at a slow pace, but that's an area that can get out of control so I severely limit those to pens with great nibs.

The idea is to define a collection goal with reasonably narrow parameters. Otherwise, if you intend to collect every version of a brand, you might want to remain a childless bachelor, and with plenty of storage space. :P

By the way, the largest part of my collection is defined less by brand or vintage, but rather by their usefulness; their nibs are stellar. You see, I'm one of those degenerates in the pen community who's called "a user." :gaah:

Fred

If you have enough to have a rotation, you might be a collector.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/collection:

Full Definition of COLLECTION
: the act or process of collecting
a : something collected; especially : an accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison, or exhibition or as a hobby
b : group, aggregate
c : a set of apparel designed for sale usually in a particular season
Since this does not add any light, I will use my cousin Jorge's definition of collection:
More that one of anything is a collection.
My 2 cents.
Cheers from Tampico, Mexico

Gilberto Castañeda

No particular number.

I would say you are a collector when you acquire for the joy of possession rather than the joy of use.

No particular number.

I would say you are a collector when you acquire for the joy of possession rather than the joy of use.

Pretty good definition!

Add: An accumulation of pens is by definition a collection. That fact does`t make you a collector, necessarily (like, if you use them all)

I think that there are a lot of reasons someone would be defined as a collector, and I think that none of them have anything to do with quantity (that's a hoarder).

To me it has always been that if you have things for a purpose beyond just their function, then you're definitely a collector.

I own probably a dozen Pilot G2s. I keep them to hand to people that need a pen and I use them to sign things that have pressure dependent carbons. I am not a G2 collector. I own two Pelikan pens. I enjoy their beauty, their history, writing with them, and I may acquire more over time. I am definitely a Pelikan collector.

An antiques dealer once told me: "If you have three of something, you're a collector."

<Milo Hamilton> And that ball is gonna be OUTTAHERE! <Milo Hamilton/>

As you might surmise, I have my own unofficial C-Worder Qualifications. ;)

The 3be deal is one of them. Everyone needs a Spare of a great pen. One more though and you're just a C-Worder. (Same pen, same color or finish.)

A pen too rare or fragile to be used. The Parker T1 probably A Best example.

One or more glass lidded display cases.

And you have to have all three.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Wow, by Bruce's definition, I'm nowhere near a collector!

When you define your pens by how you use them, you're a user. When you prowl ebay looking for "a color I don't have," you're a collector.

I'm somewhere on the line between the first and the second. :D

SA, if it helps you any, I Have referred to myself as an Accumuluser.

(Accumulating User)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl ;)

I might should have added the 48 or larger pen zip up cases as a C-Worder requirement...

When I see someone walk in with one of those, my first thought is always, Whoa. THEY'RE not kidding...

Which of course, is exactly why My largest zip case is only a 24 penner... ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl