How Many Pens Make You A Collector?

sidthecat

So, if you buy fountain pens because you like having them and not because you need them, you can call yourself a collector, even though guys with 20.000 dollar worth of pens might not be willing to call you one of them.

I have moe than three shirts, socks and shorts, even more than three caps... I have more than 20k in FPs... I use them all... so this makes me a USER not a Collector. I beleive that collecting involves attachment to the collected thing. As a great pair of pants, shirt or cap, if you just use and care for your pens as something that will wear out and grow no attachment to it, then you are a user.

I purchase my pens to use in different ocations, for different purposes, no attachment to them. I have 15 FPs and have no use for a new one... If I want a new one, I will pass one to one of my sons for them to enjoy something they cant afford at this time.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• rochester21

• inkstainedruth

• sidthecat

When I had over 20 pens I didn't have a collection I had a mess. Know I only have 12 pens I have collection because I have whittled what I owned down to a collection of pens I am happy with.

.. I have more than 20k in FPs... I use them all... so this makes me a USER not a Collector.

You`re using 20 fountain pens at the same time ??! I tried switching between just two pens during classes, and i found it extremely annoying. I only got one pair of hands.

As far as i know, you only need ONE functional fountain pen in order to get the job done.

Sure, the same may be applied to socks, but honestly- do you think you can cope with just one pair of socks ??

Edited by rochester21

I would spell three conditions:

1. at least 3...

2. a rationale connecting the three (they are not just random purchases)

3. a plan to expand the collection based on the rationale (that can evolve as the collection evolves... work in progress).

A rationale can be a brand, a country or origin, a color, a series, different filling systems or materials (seeking variety), etc.

I began many years ago, like in the latter 80s or early 90s. I started with having one Montblanc burgundy 149.

I happened to drop it, somewhere between a cheap eatery and my automobile. Simply, felt horrible at the pen's fate and purchased another to alleviate the madness at losing a writing instrument I had for a couple of years and loved.

There was a place back in the day called Joon Pen Shop or something like that in NYC diagonally across from Bloomingdale. Well, the owner, Mr. Joon said," buy pens you enjoy using." With few exceptions, he was where I purchased my first fountain pen and many others. I have always, except on rare occasions, followed his words back then.

I use them. I have now nearly 8, one coming today. I write with six of them each day or write with three, keep the other three handy on standby. A collector to me is someone who buys writing instruments to admire, perhaps someday sell, un inked, pristine condition. I am a fountain pen user, afficionado.

I enjoy my fountain pens, enjoy the feel of them, the fun of writing with them. Also, they represent to me my determination to not follow the crowd, but firmly entrench myself in enjoying communicating by writing and all of the accoutrements which make it possible.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I began many years ago, like in the latter 80s or early 90s. I started with having one Montblanc burgundy 149.

I happened to drop it, somewhere between a cheap eatery and my automobile. Simply, felt horrible at the pen's fate and purchased another to alleviate the madness at losing a writing instrument I had for a couple of years and loved.

There was a place back in the day called Joon Pen Shop or something like that in NYC diagonally across from Bloomingdale. Well, the owner, Mr. Joon said," buy pens you enjoy using." With few exceptions, he was where I purchased my first fountain pen and many others. I have always, except on rare occasions, followed his words back then.

I use them. I have now nearly 8, one coming today. I write with six of them each day or write with three, keep the other three handy on standby. A collector to me is someone who buys writing instruments to admire, perhaps someday sell, un inked, pristine condition. I am a fountain pen user, afficionado.

I enjoy my fountain pens, enjoy the feel of them, the fun of writing with them. Also, they represent to me my determination to not follow the crowd, but firmly entrench myself in enjoying communicating by writing and all of the accoutrements which make it possible.

I remember Joon Pens. I'm pretty sure I bought a few from them through the mail. I guess by your definition, I am not a collector either. If Afficionado means someone who is very knowledgeably, I am not one of those either, at least not according to Kirchh. I have an interest in the evolution of pen design and have amassed a lot of examples of those.

PS One of my first pens was a 149 too. I got it to replace a Pelikan 120 when it wore out and they didn't make them any more. That started my search for a pen that had as nice a nib as the 120. It lead to a "collection"

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

I don't think it really matters if you're a collector, a user, an accumulator or just a hoarder... as long as it makes you happy.

Personally, I think a collection requires some sort of focus, otherwise it's just an accumulation. My socks and DVDs are just an accumulation. My pens and ink bottles are a collection. The quantity and whether or not they get used or displayed doesn't really matter.

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love

I remember Joon Pens. I'm pretty sure I bought a few from them through the mail. I guess by your definition, I am not a collector either. If Afficionado means someone who is very knowledgeably, I am not one of those either, at least not according to Kirchh. I have an interest in the evolution of pen design and have amassed a lot of examples of those.

I purchased all my pens from Joon, even after I moved to other states. I only had to call him. I missed the fact in time, he and his store I believe no longer exists.

No, I define an afficionado as someone who has more than a mild interest. I am awaiting the UPS person to bring me a pen. I have one I purchased last week. I am using it in between being here. I am perusing threads of conversation, which interest me, learning, interacting. All in the quest for what is my passion. I don't know everything, but I know some things, not afraid to ask or search Youtube.

For me an afficianado is someone who has a particular interest beyond minimal. I am responding to you, deciding what ink will go into my new pen, what replacement ink will be put into my other pens. I am contemplating the next word I am going to write with any of my pens. What wonderful multitasking going on before I post this to you.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I am just the curator of the Parker items that I have acquired over these past 6-7 years.

Just saving the pens, displays, cases & other items for the next generation of fountain pen people to enjoy and find out in the wild when the time comes to let them go.

I just love the advertising on the Parker Jotters, I'm always looking for something different that was imprinted on a Jotter. I met a lady in 2013 that has a Jotter with the Hamm's Bear on it [ would like to see that ] I know that there are Jotters out there with the NFL team helmet logos on them from the 1970's [ I've only managed to find two Green Bay Packers Jotters. ]

I started with the Jotter moved onto the P45, P21, P51, Vac & Duofold an organic progression in the way I have acquired the Parker items that I have.

Am I a collector, curator, pen user whatever you call it . Sure... :D

I forgot the question..

Edited by JotterAddict62

But i can`t afford to buy books about pens. I mean, between buying a book about pens and buying pens, what is better? :D

Edited by rochester21

Two. One fountain pen gets you hooked. The second purchase means you are on your way...

There you go!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

You`re using 20 fountain pens at the same time ??! I tried switching between just two pens during classes, and i found it extremely annoying. I only got one pair of hands.

As far as i know, you only need ONE functional fountain pen in order to get the job done.

Sure, the same may be applied to socks, but honestly- do you think you can cope with just one pair of socks ??

Nop, I am not using 20 pens at the same time, I stated that I own $20,000.00 USD in 15 pens. I use them all for different purposes and ocations, same as my clothing.

My point is that I use my pens with no emotional attachment whatsoever... I am a user, not a collector.

I could cope with probably 5 pens (one would be plain boring and not practical given my job and activities), the rest is just for fun

I suppose I could be considered a collector in the casual sense, having around 40 pens with about half I'm keeping as mementos and about half that gets rotated into the currently-in-use team.

But I tend to consider collectors as those who purchase pens with the intention to complete sets or to display or even to hoard (not used in the clinical sense). They just like the pens and don't intend on using the vast majority of their pens. Whereas, I've been more of a willy-nilly accumulator who goes through cycles of binge-and-purge. I feel that I'm out of that cycle now, contented with what I have and not looking, maybe pare down by one or two here and there.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

When you have to buy a rider on your homeowner's policy to cover potential loss, it's a collection... up to that point, it's a variety.

That would be my son's answer as it is the answer to the universe. but do you have 42? ;)

Don't know about georgey, but I do. Of course I also have around 40 more.... :blush:

Three years ago, I thought my ultimate goal was between 40 and 60. So far, since late December, I've bought three pens and was given a fourth, plus had two others come returned from being repaired.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."