Misaligned Visconti Tines

epscobeau

I have a Visconti Rembrandt with a medium nib that I stupidly let some write with without asking him if he'd ever written with fountain pens before. When he had trouble writing with it he pressed harder and ended up damaging the nib quite a bit. I managed to get the nib back to the point that it will write again, but it writes very scratchy now and the right tine seems to be a bit higher than the left one. Is there anything I can do on my own to try and fix this? I thought about trying to purchase a replacement nib but the only thing I can find online is a broad and I'd prefer a medium or a fine.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• EclecticCollector

• TheRealScubaSteve

• epscobeau

Put the edge of your fingernail over the higher tine and bend it back down. You'll need to push the tine lower than normal, but stretch it a little at a time until it rests in line with the other. You'll probably need to work on the nib alone (minus the feed) to bend it enough. No need for a replacement if that's all that's wrong with it.

Yep. You might want a loupe or some magnification, but other than that, you can do it with just your bare hands.

Thank you for your help! I took the nib and feed out (first time I've ever done that) and did some adjusting on the nib. It is better- not perfect, but better. And now I have the confidence to begin working on my pens if I have an issue.

Thank you for your help! I took the nib and feed out (first time I've ever done that) and did some adjusting on the nib. It is better- not perfect, but better. And now I have the confidence to begin working on my pens if I have an issue.

I empathize with you completely. I did something similar with my Bexley pen weeks ago.

Also, like you I had no prior knowledge an individual, not versed in the workings of a pen, simply a Fountain pen lover could actually do more than fill pen and wipe nib. I ended up exploring several options for damage I caused to nib; i.e. sending pen back to company, sending pen to a Nib Meister, buying an expensive replacement. Actually ended up purchasing from GouletPencompany one of their single toned steel #6 nibs in XF. After having fooled around with taking the nib piece out several times before new nib arrived, separating nib from feed, by the time new nib arrived, took less than five minutes to replace. I not only have a new nib, I have one which is one color steel, matching trim of pen much nicer than original. Nib writes smooth and to my liking better than original, right out of packaging. I love my pen once again and only cost $15.00 plus shipping. Like you, I also have acquired from this xperience confidence to work on my pens if I encounter a problem. Right now, I am looking at how to use silicone grease to lubricate a Pelikan piston.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

If you are in the US you can always try contacting Bryant at Pentime (www.pentime.com) to see about getting a replacement nib as well.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Then hand the bill to the ham-handed idiot who ruined a nice piece of equipment

I'd have made him cut me a check on the spot. :P

I'd have made him cut me a check on the spot. :P

What if he looks you in the eye..says Hell No..and walks away.

"that I stupidly let some write with without asking him if he'd ever written with fountain pens before. When he had trouble writing with it he pressed harder and ended up damaging the nib quite a bit."

To the OP....lesson learned..bet you won't do that again....................

Fred

You do not need to dismount the nib...start bending the up nib tine down...from the breather hole...hold completely under the other tine for 2-3 seconds three to four times.

A good coated, good glass 10 X loupe is a once in a life time buy....@$35. Buy cheap and you will have to buy again.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You do not need to dismount the nib...start bending the up nib tine down...from the breather hole.

Wouldn't the feed be in the way?

No, you are only bending the up tine and the tip 'slightly' down....from the breather hole and a bit of the lower nib down, to just under the other tine.....you are not bending it in half.

Just low enough that you 'could' stick the up tine under the down tine....so the feed will not be/is not in the way. Hold it a couple seconds, release...do it a second time....check with the loupe....to see if you need do it a third or forth time. Much of the time two or three press low of one tine half will do the trick.

I can't remember having to do that more than 4 times.

It's easy to bang a nib out of alignment or to get a used pen with that....and it's easy to fix....as long as you don't hold it down too long....or try to bend it big time. Remember you want pressure from the breathing hole so the whole tine bends....not just the tip.

You are only moving a tine tip....1/8th-1/4th lower....in it is very seldom that a tine is so out of alignment you could see it sticking 1/2 a tip up from the other.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

They just need to fix a slight misalignment, not a bent tine.

Yep...nicely said...in the tine is not bent....well...I do tend to be a bit long winded. :rolleyes: