"brand New" M600 Won't Post.

w3someday

Hello fellow Pelikan-heads. Today, I became the proud owner of an m600 EF in green/gold/black. This in the third Pelikan to have passed through my hands. I've also had my fun with an m205 and an m800. The M600 is ultimately my goldilocks pen. Its dimensions mirror my other favorite (by proporsion) a Sheaffer No-Nonsense. So, I was very happy to receive it in the mail from Spain, where I was able to find the best deal at $305.

Then the real fun began. Someone, (maybe in customs) had removed the pen from the pouch and it was just sitting out in the display box. The surface of the display box seemed a bit worn like it hadn been slid into and out of it's packaging numerous times. The plastic bag containing the pen was all crinkled, and there were fingerprints on the section. It did not appear to have been inked, but this was strange already. Still, I got a decent deal and so I chalked it up to that.

Then I got the pen out. If you're an anti-poster, you can absolutely stop reading here. Fully half of the reason I got this pen is because I like to post. The entire reason I got rid of the otherwise fabulous M800 is because writing with that pen posted is much like writing with a pen made of a meter stick. So I try to stick the cap on the back as has been quite easy with my other Pelikans... but no. It just sits there with almost no friction at all. Loose and freely rotating, I think it's suction more than anything that's keeping it from falling right off when I tip the pen over.

I got this pen so that I could write with it posted. I can, kind of. But the cap is constantly moving around due to the chanigng position of my hand and it's driving me nuts. I could probably make a return, but this place doesn't have replacements in stock, and the shipping to Spain is silly. Everything else about this pen is near perfect! Can somebody out there think of something I haven't. Is sending it in to Pelikan an option?

Where did all my money go? ...oh yeah:

LAMY Al-Star M & F in Purple, 70s era Sheaffer Red NoNonsense Calligraphy set, Pelikan M205 F in Taupe, TWSBI Diamond 580AL M & F, vintage black Montblanc 146 F, black Pelikan Souverän M800 F, OMAS Milord Arte Italiana Teal Green LE in F XF

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• savingbirds

• KBeezie

• sargetalon

• w3someday

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very strange. Of all the M600s I've used (both new and pre-owned), none of them had posting problems. My closest "problem" to yours was a brand new M400 in black. When posted, and tapped gently by a finger, the cap made a resonating vibration. This was fixed by disassembling the cap (twist the jewel/ring off counterclockwise, remove the clip, push the "logo" into the cap and remove it) and reassembling it. Even now, though, it posts less deeply than any of my other M400-sized pens (vintage 400, 400NN, and M200s).

Is your pen still under warranty?

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

That doesn't sound quite right, My M640 (which I don't know if the cap or tail part is similar to the M600 or not) does post, there's a short distance it goes for the firmness (like the last millimeter or two is where it goes snug) so it doesn't move at all while writing just from the hand movement.

Any chance you can get pictures of it? Maybe also look inside the cap and see if maybe the inner cap was damaged or disassembled (ie: customs checking compartments for drugs or whatever).

Is your pen still under warranty?

Is there a warranty on a Pelikan purchased internationally? (ie: Seller is in Spain, buyer is in the US).

Edited by KBeezie

While the "warranty" isn't honoured internationally, if you send your pen to Pelikan (in Germany) even out of warranty, they'll still repair it and return your pen back. It's up to you if you want to take the risk of shipping the pen overseas as well as the shipping costs.

Worst comes to worse, a replacement cap won't cost you an arm and a leg.

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

While the "warranty" isn't honoured internationally, if you send your pen to Pelikan (in Germany) even out of warranty, they'll still repair it and return your pen back.

For free? (outside of shipping cost I'd assume).

Worst comes to worse, a replacement cap won't cost you an arm and a leg.

True, as opposed to a barrel, piston, nib, etc.

All of my M600s, in my opinion, post less securely than my M200s or M400s. They do post and the cap does not rattle around with writing but I have also had the cap fall off on me several times. I'm a die hard poster but due to the size of the M600 on up, am learning to not post the bigger pens due to this issue.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

This is the opposite of my experience. My Marine Blue M605 was extremely hard to post at first, and now sits tight. I would send it in for repair to Chartpak.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang