Pilot Custom 74 Nib Issues

Lovely_Pen

So I recently bought a Pilot Custom 74 from an online retailer, and I love the pen but the nib is a huge disappointment. When I first inked up the pen it was incredibly scratchy, and there were some ink flow problems. :crybaby: However, since using it the scratchiness has evened out a bit, but the flow still remains problematic--sometimes it dries out completely and won't write a single line. I've contacted the seller, and they've said that I can mail the pen back to them and they can "re-tune" the nib for me, but I'm not sure I should.

1. I'll have to pay for return shipping to them, and 2. they were supposed to have tuned the nib before shipping the pen out to me in the first place. I'm not sure, if they weren't able to tune, or they did and the pen was jammed back into its cap, but all I know is that the new pen I received does not write very well. My cheaper Pilot 78g and Metropolitan steel nibs write smoother and wetter than this pen :(

There's a FP shop near me, and I'm tempted to just take the pen to them and see what they can do....any advice? Should I just mail the pen back to the original seller and hope that it gets tuned properly?

For the record, I first inked the pen up with Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun and wrote on Tomoe River paper, so I wasn't expecting any issues. The pen is currently inked with Sailor Jentle Yama-dori, which seems to be working better (in terms of scratchiness).

Thanks,

Lovely Pen

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλεις, ἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penviper

• Lovely_Pen

• rutherfordr

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Penviper, I had recently noticed those videos on Youtube, but having never attempted nib tuning, I'm rather hesitant to try (for the first time) on my Custom 74--especially seeing as how it's my *nicest* pen. If I had a another pen, which I wouldn't mind possibly ruining, maybe then.

Also, I'm guessing that anything I do myself would void the warranty?

μὴ ζήτει τὰ γινόμενα γίνεσθαι ὡς θέλεις, ἀλλὰ θέλε τὰ γινόμενα ὡς γίνεται

καὶεὐροήσεις. - Epictetus

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Penviper, I had recently noticed those videos on Youtube, but having never attempted nib tuning, I'm rather hesitant to try (for the first time) on my Custom 74--especially seeing as how it's my *nicest* pen. If I had a another pen, which I wouldn't mind possibly ruining, maybe then.

Also, I'm guessing that anything I do myself would void the warranty?

suggest u view it under the loupe and see what is the problem. may it is just a misalign tints...I had a few custom 74.... one of them after adjustment works perfectly! without even smoothening it with grits

Edited by penviper

You can send it to the Pilot service facility in Jacksonville, Florida, and they'll fix it for you.

It may take a while, if they have to send it to Japan for repairs, but since it's new they probably won't charge you for it.

Scientia potentia est.