Pale Blue Paper Fountain Pen Friendly

Intellidepth

Hi, as I sit here scribing out copious exam notes on a cheap blue paper A4 lined pad, I've come to realise how much good paper enhances the writing experience. No more 'ignorance is bliss'. :)

Do any of the good paper manufacturers like Rhodia/Clairfontaine offer pale blue notepads/books/reams that are fountain pen friendly and have smooth writing surfaces? I'm happy to print lines on paper sheets.

I have Irlen Syndrome and my preferred reading surface is pale blue. (I wear purple-lens glasses all day every day.)

Edited by Intellidepth

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intellidepth

• Newjelan

• migo984

• blINK

There are several that you can find in OfficeMax/Office Depot but they probably wont be the best performing, like the AstroBrights and Hammermill Colors. Taking a quick peek around I found that Neenah has Windor Blue that might fit your bill. It is from the Classic Crest line. I recently bought a ream of the Classic Crest with a Solar White shade and its performance with my pens has been phenomenal. I use MB 90th Anniversary - Permanent Grey, MB Permanent Blue, and Skript Red. Bear in mind I write with XF pens. This paper has a watermark with no cotton content, smooth finish. It seems to only come in 24 Lb (60# Text).

Thanks Tryek, will check it out.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Unfortunately can't get Classic Crest Windsor Blue landed here in Aus for less than $100USD for a ream of 500 sheets. Found a Clairefontaine Trophee blue paper and have ordered a ream of that to check it out. I'm hoping it's better for FP's than our local Reflex blue office paper.

Some 100% cotton papers by Crane and Co.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/PAPER/IMG_3726.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/PAPER/IMG_4067.jpg

The middle one is called azure, one of my favorites.

And one by Smythson:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/PAPER/IMG_0192.jpg

Here's a delicate blue airmail by Cranes

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/PAPER/IMG_0375.jpg

Edited by Blade Runner

Thanks Bladerunner. Will check those out too.

Update: unfortunately the Crane (Crane's Crest) papers are from the same manufacturer (Neenah) as the Classic Crest line with the same prohibitive freight cost to Aus. Off to check out Smythson now.

Update 2: Smythson's freight to Aus is £30 for one pack of 50 sheets at £10. Sigh.

Freight from UK to Aus is usually much cheaper than US to Aus, but not in this instance.

Edited by Intellidepth

Smythson's is definitely not suitable for copious exam notes - far too expensive.

If a writing paper rather than office paper is suitable, have you looked for the blue Basildon Bond? I know that white & grey is available in Australia so blue may be as well. It is a reasonable price.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I find that the Lion Brand Blue Air Mail paper is very fountain pen friendly. It is roughly size A5, lined, and comes in pads of 50 sheets. I am able to purchase on eBay from the UK relatively inexpensively and the shipping to the U.S. is reasonable. Not sure what the shipping would be for you and I don't know if A5 would be too small for your purposes.

If you'd like to try it, I can send you a few sample sheets.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Migo: white is avail in Aus from online Aus suppliers - even in packs of 10 pads - but not blue unfortunately. Thanks for the recommendation.

Blink: for AU$4.47 per Lion pad landed in Aus, I ordered one on the spot. Look forward to trying it out.

Migo: white is avail in Aus from online Aus suppliers - even in packs of 10 pads - but not blue unfortunately. Thanks for the recommendation.

Are you sure?

Blue Basildon Bond is sold in pads in my local, suburban newsagency. Unless you are in a remote area, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it in a newsagency. Maybe not all of them, but certainly around the place.

Also, have you tried Australain based online stores? I haven't checked for this item specifically but I know some have a wide variety of options.

You have Reflex Coloured papers available in Light Blue from Officeworks. That's $10 for an A4 ream.

There is also Optix A4 Viza Blue at $9.75 for 100 sheets, more expensive, but a somewhat better paper for FPs.

The nearest branch to Toronto is 240 Hillsborough Rd, Warners Bay

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Are you sure?

Blue Basildon Bond is sold in pads in my local, suburban newsagency. Unless you are in a remote area, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find it in a newsagency. Maybe not all of them, but certainly around the place.

Also, have you tried Australain based online stores? I haven't checked for this item specifically but I know some have a wide variety of options.

Hi, I searched Aussie online stores as I live in Newcastle and none stocked the blue pads. If you are willing please, would you mind PMing me the suburb and name of that Newsagency please? I'd love to try it out.

You have Reflex Coloured papers available in Light Blue from Officeworks. That's $10 for an A4 ream.

There is also Optix A4 Viza Blue at $9.75 for 100 sheets, more expensive, but a somewhat better paper for FPs.

The nearest branch to Toronto is 240 Hillsborough Rd, Warners Bay

Thanks. I have Reflex blue here as a matter of course as it's what I print my uni notes on. Haven't tried Optix but will duck out today to that Officeworks store you mentioned and grab a few sheets. I had assumed it was not much different to Reflex, but that was an assumption, not fact :).

My experience of copy papers for fp's generally hasn't been great with the exception of white Mondi Color Copy which has one surface that is pretty good for fp's (feathers just a little), with the lighter weights performing better than the heavier. It doesn't come in blue though, otherwise I'd be perfectly happy with it. It's what I'm currently using to write snail mail on.

I just want to express my thanks to the people who have offered their ideas here. I thought it would be a rare product and possibly impossible to find, so having a community like this that is so willing to share experiences and ideas is greatly appreciated.

The Australian Warners Bay Officeworks blue paper shootout (3 brands).

Used Lamys F & 1.1, Dayacom F, vintage Conklin painterly super-flex with wettest ink, and very flexi vintage Aikin Lambert gold dip nib. Inks were a few different custom CMYK Noodler's and J Herbin Rouge Opera.

BEST BY FAR: QUILL A4 80GSM BLUE (confession: I thought it was a cheap kid's craft paper so it didn't even cross my mind to try it before now)

- Smoothest by a long way. I actually pulled out Rhodia to check but it's still a grade behind Rhodia.

- Ink dried the quickest.

- Feathering performance with all nibs was very, very minimal. I'm very happy with it and I'm on the fussier side. The dip nib test amazed me. Heavy laydown of my wettest ink resulted in no difference to the letter edges than wet fp's under a 20x loupe, which was no different to that of the other fp's. Impressive.

- Bleedthrough: none from Lamy or Dayacom nibs. Specks on some edges for the wet vintage super-flex and dip nib. Also on the heaviest dip nib laydown areas one colour (yellow) of a yellow and magenta ink blend showed through but didn't seem to quite seep/bleed right through. No bleedthrough from the test page showed up on the page under it. Not too bad at all.

- This paper is definitely a winner for me. I wouldn't even have tried it unless I was on this exam-fuelled-FPN-mission. ;) The lesson learned: never assume.

Next: Reflex Blue 80gsm

- Rough, caught my vintage nibs somewhat. Disliked writing on it.

- Feathered a little with normal nibs and inks as well as wet vintage flex and dip nib. Fine lines became closer to medium lines.

- Bleedthrough: more than Quill, but not too bad really.

- Took longer than the Quill brand to dry, but only a minute or so behind.

Last, by a long way: Optix Viza Blue

- Roughest, caught my vintage nibs more than the Reflex. Lamy and Dayacom nibs also performed badly. It was so rough even they couldn't lay down consistent lines.

- Feathered the worst (unacceptably), and the dip nib test still hasn't dried... Ten minutes later. Dip feathered badly.

- Bleedthrough: really bad. Couldn't have used this. Even the driest ink bled through in specks and the wettest inks were unbelievable and nearly went through two pages. Even an experimental ink containing an additive which significantly increases ink viscosity bled through in specks.

Seems like dcwaites experience of Optix differed a lot from the batch I tried out.

Quill is a definite winner and available locally :). I'll keep an eye out for the others in brick and mortar stores.

Edited by Intellidepth

Hi, I searched Aussie online stores as I live in Newcastle and none stocked the blue pads. If you are willing please, would you mind PMing me the suburb and name of that Newsagency please? I'd love to try it out.

Hi Intellidepth, I checked my local news agency on Saturday and they only had white in stock. I asked and they've sold out of blue (& pink) and are not restocking them as there is insufficient demand apparently. There is another news agency I go to that has a massive range of papers and I can check there on Wednesday; I see you have some other options too.

I just want to express my thanks to the people who have offered their ideas here. I thought it would be a rare product and possibly impossible to find, so having a community like this that is so willing to share experiences and ideas is greatly appreciated.

Very glad you've found something suitable. I'm temporarily locating from UK to Australia for 6 months in a few days time and will try out the Quill paper when I get there.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I can check there on Wednesday; I see you have some other options too.

Thank you for the kind offer, please don't go out of your way though.

Wendell/Migo it is this product

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/quill-a4-coloured-copy-paper-powder-blue-pk-100-qu90054pb?searchTerm=Quill%20a4%20coloured%20copy%20paper

Wendell, It may be the same manufacturer but I don't know because of the packaging.

Edit: a quick google indicates the brand I used is produced by a company called Quill Stationery, website here.

http://www.quillstationery.com.au/aspdotnetstorefront/t-CustomProducts.aspx

Edited by Intellidepth

Blink: for AU$4.47 per Lion pad landed in Aus, I ordered one on the spot. Look forward to trying it out.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!