Parker 75 Fiber-Tip Replacement

Hanamizu

Just got a Parker 75 fiber-tip pen. I have tried to reink the fiber cartridge without success. I have read that some roller ball cartridges will fit without modification. Any ideas on which ones?

thanks, Lee

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• Hanamizu

• ceejaybee

• Ron Z

Just got a Parker 75 fiber-tip pen. I have tried to reink the fiber cartridge without success. I have read that some roller ball cartridges will fit without modification. Any ideas on which ones?

thanks, Lee

Parker Roller Ball cartridges will fit but you will need the small plastic insert to go in the base of the body to fit them correctly. These come up on eBay from time to time.

Peter

No, they are for fitting a ballpoint refill.

disambiguation.....

...as in the pieces that came with the Big Red are for fitting a ballpoint refill.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

disambiguation.....

...as in the pieces that came with the Big Red are for fitting a ballpoint refill.

Two nations divided by a common language :)

Peter

So, if I am understanding this correctly, Parker rollerball refills will work in the 75 fiber (fibre)-tip pen, but they require something to act as a spacer in the bottom of the body. Does the plastic spacer have a name I can search for?

If I want to use a ball point refill, then I have to get the bits from a Big Red pen. I have seen them on Amazon.

The barrel inserts are not required for the U.S.A. made fiber/soft tip pens (with silver collar on section), Parker rollerball refills will fit without any modification whatsoever. :thumbup:

The barrel insert is only required if you are using the French made rollerball section with the wide gold band and have a rollerball barrel that is missing the insert or are converting a fountain pen barrel to be used as a rollerball barrel - HTH.

Edited by ceejaybee

Parker rollerball refills will fit without any modification whatsoever.

Thanks, CJB–that's exactly what I was trying to find out!

Lee

The barrel inserts are not required for the U.S.A. made fiber/soft tip pens (with silver collar on section), Parker rollerball refills will fit without any modification whatsoever. :thumbup:

The barrel insert is only required if you are using the French made rollerball section with the wide gold band and have a rollerball barrel that is missing the insert or are converting a fountain pen barrel to be used as a rollerball barrel - HTH.

I have a USA 75 and I had to fit the insert. But it's worth a try before getting (or making) an insert.

Looking at this further I believe that you have it the wrong way round. The French section (with gold band) is made for the rollerball so would NOT need the insert. The USA made section was made for the fiber/soft tip and WILL need the insert. Perhaps someone else can come in on this.

Edited by Matlock

Peter

I have a USA 75 and I had to fit the insert. But it's worth a try before getting (or making) an insert.

Looking at this further I believe that you have it the wrong way round. The French section (with gold band) is made for the rollerball so would NOT need the insert. The USA made section was made for the fiber/soft tip and WILL need the insert. Perhaps someone else can come in on this.

Actually it's you that has it the wrong way round, the U.S.A. soft tip section was indeed created for the soft (fiber) tip refills but as the rollerball refills are the same length as the soft tip refills both will fit without any modification.

The French tri-grip rollerball section was not made specially to fit the rollerball refill, it is actually the same part as used for the fountain pen section minus the ink collector, gasket and clutch ring/collar, only the tip where the writing point protrudes was specially manufactured. Utilising the same section means the refills need to sit further forward in the pen and is exactly why the barrel insert is required.

Hopefully this will help to clarify?

Edited by ceejaybee

Actually it's you that has it the wrong way round, the U.S.A. soft tip section was indeed created for the soft (fiber) tip refills but as the rollerball refills are the same length as the soft tip refills both will fit without any modification.

The French tri-grip rollerball section was not made specially to fit the rollerball refill, it is actually the same part as used for the fountain pen section minus the ink collector, gasket and clutch ring/collar, only the tip where the writing point protrudes was specially manufactured. Utilising the same section means the refills need to sit further forward in the pen and is exactly why the barrel insert is required.

Hopefully this will help to clarify?

Thank you for that. On trying out my many 75s I find that you are correct, except for my one USA 75, it must have been a Friday afternoon job.

I stand corrected.

Peter

Thank you for that. On trying out my many 75s I find that you are correct, except for my one USA 75, it must have been a Friday afternoon job.

I stand corrected.

That is what I love in you Matlock. Apologies on realising one's misgudgements should be the spirit of participation in constructive and purpose oriented discussions.

Khan M. Ilyas

That is what I love in you Matlock. Apologies on realising one's misgudgements should be the spirit of participation in constructive and purpose oriented discussions.

Thanks mitto.

They do say that a man who has not made a mistake has not made anything. I should be OK as I have made many mistakes.

Further to the subject in hand I note that there was a post in early February regarding the positioning of the barrel threads in 75s. It could be that is why I needed a spacer for one of my pens. As ceejaybee made clear there was no problem with any of my other 75s.

Peter

Well, I'm happy to say that the current Parker roller ball refill works perfectly in the 75 shell. Just put one in and my 75 Flighter is a pen again. Thanks to everyone who guided me to the solution.

Lee