Unidentified... My First Venture Into The World Of Restorations

BaalDagon

I have always had a love of fountain pens since I was in grade school as my sixth grade teacher advised using one instead of a rollerball to improve my penmanship. Sadly, it didn't help much, but it did instill a wonderment for their beauty and they way they did write. It had been years since I had used one and through collecting beer steins on ebay, for giggles, I looked up vintage fountain pens. As I looked through the lot, I came across tools for rebuilding and restoring these timeless writing instruments to their former glory. So, off to Youtube to see if their were any videos on the subject. Here again, I found a plethora of information that gave me the courage to step out into this new world. One piece of advice I got from a multitude of videos and forums was to start CHEAP! In other words... stay away from the high dollar pens in learning to restore. I took this to heart with my first few purchases. One of these purchases seemed to be a "bit more" than the average fair offered on ebay; however, besides the nib being marked with "Durium 8," there are no marks on the pen. THere was something about the pen that spoke to me... so, with a little more love than the rest of the pen I had bought, I worked on every facet of this pen from the nib to eradicating every scratch on the barrel,cap,feed, and section. I dipped it, as I do all my pens, to see how they write. It felt like I was writing with a rollerball, and that is the moment that I fell head over heals in love with it! This started the hunt to find out as much as I could about the pen's origin. I now realize just how daunting of a task this is, thus asking for help in identifying it. If more photos are needed... let me know!

post-120531-0-66822500-1424139136_thumb.jpg

post-120531-0-47966100-1424139146_thumb.jpg

post-120531-0-54914800-1424139152_thumb.jpg

post-120531-0-98463300-1424139157_thumb.jpg

post-120531-0-93078500-1424139163_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BaalDagon

• flipper_gv

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is written on the nib?

The only thing on the nib is "Durium." PATO seems to use this type of nib. They also use what looks like the same type of clip as the above pen. However, it seems that there are other pens that use the same nib. I know that I am asking for help in finding a particular piece of hay in a hay stack, so I'm not expecting much. In truth, I absolutely LOVE this pen! It is used as my daily writer. I have gone back to college... so I write A LOT, HAHA! I would just like to know as much as I can about it as I can. I also collect beer steins and I drive myself nuts until I have learned all that I can about a particular stein and I figured I would be able to do the same with pens. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case as there are so many out there.