Authenticity Of We Pens?

macball

A series of Montblanc WE rollerball pens have appeared on an auction site that don't quite look right. The Jules Verne is normally a lacquer blue. Did MB make a second series in black? This looks like a cross between Verne and Twain. All of the pens for sale are rollerballs and similar ones are sold on line for $13 not $500+. However, the seller has 60+ positive feedback and a history of selling vintage (authentic?) MB pens suggesting that they are authentic or may not know they are replicas.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Montblanc-Jules-Gabriel-Verne-Writer-Edition-Rollerball-Pen-Black-Lacquer-Metal-/331481385182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4d2dd488de

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s5blitzer

• Chrissy

• jar

• OngL

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for the above - it's a fake. Another giveaway is that this is the "Jules Gabriel Verne Writer Edition" (Since when did MB start including the middle names of their writers? ;) )

Oh man, that Verne is so fake it hurts to view it. Besides, the off color, the gap around the cap between the stone and the rim is a total giveaway. Plus the rim itself is wrong.

Run away from this.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

Had to check out this seller's other listing. Saw this Gandhi RB and noticed the over extended RB nib again.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Montblanc-Mahatma-Gandhi-Limit-Edition-Rollerball-Pen-Ivory-Lacquer-Silver-Metal-/331481399731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4d2dd4c1b3

but check out the real deal -

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/theangs/Montblanc_RB_Gandhi_Memorial_105593_6.jpg

Notice the color of the mandarin (color) garnet above the clip ring

Link to the authentic pen:

http://www.montblanc.com/en/flash/default.aspx/#/collections/limited-editions?/limited-edition/great-characters-6932305084405639244/mahatma-gandhi-56881779914899205144512

Edited by thebanker

Montblanc only EVER made the Jules Verne pen in BLUE for a start.

Then they NEVER made it as a rollerball.

That pen is fake for so many reasons

About a year ago came across a similar Verne. alerted the seller, who also enjoyed many positive feedback, received some serious flack in return. Also alerted Ebay who did not intervene and the eventual buyer ( via his post purchase positive feedback) who was rightfully suspicious of my intentions in contacting him. Keep searching, as the Verne is a stunning pen!

Montblanc only EVER made the Jules Verne pen in BLUE for a start.

Then they NEVER made it as a rollerball.

That pen is fake for so many reasons

Great point and observation.

14,000 FPs

12,000 BPs

4,500 sets which includes FP, BP and MP. No RBs!!!

Was the Gandhi a fake? I cant able to tell other that the stone colour.

Is there any known fake niKolai, Ramses or coral?

Edited by OngL

Looking at the sellers other items, all of his pens appear to be fakes. I had a few minutes free (office closed due to inclement weather) and reported them.

Thank goodness for that.

I will admit that my best luck at getting fakes pulled has been when I make direct contact with the seller. I try that first and only go directly to eBay should that fail. I also always include an explanation of why I believe a given pen is a fake.

My Website

The ebay reasons/justification field does not provides enough room to add detailed reasons and links to the MB site.

Edited by thebanker

Fakes typically produced in mass quantity to cover the cost and maximise profit. My question is if we are seeing one or two in eBay where the remaining hundreds or thousands go?

...snip...

I also always include an explanation of why I believe a given pen is a fake.

Well said. I think that this is an important point.

I see many threads in this forum, asking us to report a fake pen - but will often not understand why it is a fake.

This may happen because I am unfamiliar with a model (eg Starwalkers), or it may be because the fake is quite accurate.

Of course, I (usually) trust the judgement of my fellow FPN members, but it would be useful if information was provided which explained why a pen is clearly a fake. If I can understand why a pen is a fake, I'm more likely to report it.

Enjoy.

Edited by CS388