Sheaffer Imperial - Any Info Appricated

brendonsie

Hi Guys

I have purchased the pen below, while i wait for the pen to arrive i have been doing some googling and belive the pen to be a 1976 Sheaffer Imperial. However the confusing part for me is that all of my googling has only found 14k pens where this one is 18k even on ebay i can only find 14k models. Just wondering if i have correctly idenfied the pen? I am intrested to know anything you can tell me about my newest pen.

Thanks

post-117240-0-70241000-1423978502_thumb.jpg

Edited by brendonsie

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brendonsie

• jar

• crescentfiller

• NinthSphere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Imperial Sovereign. Nice catch. I was eyeing that one myself, but I was tapped out before it wrapped.

edit: The body is anyway. I see what you mean with the 18k. References suggest that should be a 14k.

Edited by NinthSphere

To add to the above, the French only accept "gold" as 18ct ( or 3/4 pure gold of the "whatever") or above as being legally allowed to be sold as gold, hence to be a "gold" nib in France is a minimum of 18ct as opposed to the 14ct generally accepted elsewhere. Most makers now just use18ct as the standard with nibs.

Ahh that makes sense. So the gold filled body would need to be 18k as well? this pen appeals to me because of its gold filled body. I'm even happier If 4k of gold compared to most others of this model.

Ahh that makes sense. So the gold filled body would need to be 18k as well? this pen appeals to me because of its gold filled body. I'm even happier If 4k of gold compared to most others of this model.

No, the rolled gold would not have to be 18K. Look closely at the band on the cap and see if it is labeled as 1/10 XXK RG? If not labeled or called gold it can be any proof.

My Website

Ahh good to know, I'll be checking the cap as soon as it arrives.

I've just had another look at the listing I will have to wait for it to arrive to have alook at the cap however the ebay listing says the body is 18k as well. I should probably look closer at the listing rather than going ooh shiney and hitting buy now😀.

Ahh good to know, I'll be checking the cap as soon as it arrives.

I've just had another look at the listing I will have to wait for it to arrive to have alook at the cap however the ebay listing says the body is 18k as well. I should probably look closer at the listing rather than going ooh shiney and hitting buy now😀.

Nah, the body is Rolled Gold but still a really nice set.

The Imperial Sterling and Imperial Sovereign.

http://www.fototime.com/B15294D787EF45B/xlarge.jpg

My Website

I do like the look of the Imperial Sterling as well. I think I need to get one completed set lol. When looking into this one I also saw a touchdown in a similar design in both sterling and gold, another set I would love to get. I could spend all day listing pens to buy lol.

"Nah, the body is Rolled Gold but still a really nice set."

But isn't that a French hallmark on the band? Do the French hallmark rolled/plated/filled gold?

I'm no Sheaffer expert, but that hallmark suggests something more than rolled gold to me....

Best,

Daniel

"Nah, the body is Rolled Gold but still a really nice set."

But isn't that a French hallmark on the band? Do the French hallmark rolled/plated/filled gold?

I'm no Sheaffer expert, but that hallmark suggests something more than rolled gold to me....

Best,

Daniel

TTBOMK to call something rolled gold it must be stamped and hallmarked showing the purity of the gold sheet and a ratio by weights. For example 1/10 14K RG would be a sheet of 14 karat gold that weighed one tenth of what the base metal sheet weighed.

My Website

TTBOMK to call something rolled gold it must be stamped and hallmarked showing the purity of the gold sheet and a ratio by weights. For example 1/10 14K RG would be a sheet of 14 karat gold that weighed one tenth of what the base metal sheet weighed.

Indeed. And again, I am no expert on French assaying, but I seem to recall seeing French gold (and silver) with a hallmark and no ratio. But then, those items were all much older than this Sheaffer pen. Perhaps the side of the band opposite what looks like a hallmark will hold the pertinent details. Or not. Could it actually be solid 14K or 18K?

Indeed. And again, I am no expert on French assaying, but I seem to recall seeing French gold (and silver) with a hallmark and no ratio. But then, those items were all much older than this Sheaffer pen. Perhaps the side of the band opposite what looks like a hallmark will hold the pertinent details. Or not. Could it actually be solid 14K or 18K?

There were 18K and 9K gold Barleycorn Masterpiece models. They were touchdown filled. There was also a lined 14K Imperial Masterpiece which was also TD filled. I don't know of any other solid gold Imperial/Triumph Imperial models but that does not mean such a critter is not out there.

My Website

Hi Guys

It's intresting to here what you have to say i have found an advert for the same pen in this post:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/108585-sheaffer-identification/

Also below are some partial translations form both the french and italian adds the itallian add clearly states 14k gold plating but the french add is much more vauge.

post-117240-0-79148800-1424127122_thumb.png

post-117240-0-27297500-1424127124_thumb.png