There Is Hope! Student Of Mine Using A Fountain Pen!

countrydirt

Hi all, I don't post much here anymore, but I wanted to share a cool thing. I am a high school teacher. I was showing my Fisher Space Pen to one of my students and we were talking about how it can write upside down, in outer space, underwater, etc and he commented that his pen couldn't do that. I asked him what sort of pen he had and he pulled out a Pilot fountain pen! I was pretty geeked out to see it and mentioned that I sort of was into pens as well.

Later he asked me some questions about ink. He wanted to get another color besides black, so I told him that I could fix him up! Like many of us, I have more inks than is reasonable, so I put together a little grab bag for him with some Levenger and Scribal workshop inks. I also brought a couple of Noodler's flexy creepers and told him to use them, keep them, do whatever he wanted. I let him use my Waterman Phileas today and he really liked it.

So there is hope for continued use of fountain pens.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• countrydirt

• mtmowl

• marcelo

• WaskiSquirrel

What a great story! There is hope for the future!

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I'm a pusher too...

Introduced all my daughters to fountain pens, and now several shoolmates of the youngest (10 yo) are imitating them.

Only problem, some parents complained wih me they are not able to find the "funny inks" my daughters have...

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Awesome story! How generous of you :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I want all the things x_x

:thumbup:

Parents too stupid to Google funny inks. :headsmack:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Aww, I'm so happy that our little Fountain Pen Bug has bitten another! Well, I hope it spreads even more. My classmates actually asks me what pen I'm using and then usually proceeds to ask if they can write quickly with it. Ah, always fun seeing a intrigued person in our hobby. Also, am I the only one who gets the question: "Who spends _____ on a pen, _____ is plenty enough already" or something to that extent. I get that a lot especially when I'm using my Monteverde... oh well.. Congrats again to your recent discovery of a user!

-RTMC

Favorite Ink and Pen Combinations:

Monteverde Jewelria in Fine with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Jinhao x450 with a Goulet X-Fine Nib with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Lamy Al-Star BlueGreen in Extra Fine with Parker Quink Black

Pilot Metropolitan in Medium with Parker Quink Black

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I too am a high school teacher, and this year was the second time I (re)introduced my students to fountain pens by way of a physics practical assignment: I gave them each a piston filler fp and access to a bottle of ink, and the assignment was to find out how the pen works (by investigation, literature or internet search, whatever - this was supposed to be fun), write a paper about it containing drawings and explanations, hand-written and -drawn using the very pen I gave them to do so.

And I find that two of them (of a group of seven) have kept using the pen on a daily basis, and grown quite fond of their new pen. The others carry theirs around and use them occasionally, but these two hardly use anything else anymore.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I also am a high school physics teacher. My students routinely see my own fountain pens in use, and think they're rather cool (either that, or they're just humoring me.)

This year I distributed about 60 inexpensive Jinhao 599s to my classes to introduce them to fountain pens. Guess what? Many of them are still in use, and just yesterday I saw one student take out an authentic Lamy Safari to sign off on an official document.

Made me feel good, it did.

Good to hear! I've gotten several of my students addicted to fountain pens as well. Last fall, I ran into one who graduated last spring, and he showed me his Lamy Safari and TWSBI mini. He told me he really wants a Lamy 2000. He loves taking notes with those pens, and isn't a student I expected would ever become addicted.

This year, I gave away a few really nice pens, and the students are using them regularly. A few more have purchased fountain pens of their own.

Great to see!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

My favorite part of the story was bringing out a Fisher Space Pen to explain its capabilities and getting outdone by a student with a Japanese fountain pen! Either way, it's a win--the right tool for the right job.

Buzz

It was one of my High School teachers that got me interested in fountain pens, back in the early 90's, and I've been using them on and off since. Unfortunately more off than on, but I've gotten back into the game and don't plan to quit any time soon!

(Also, What's up Waterman Phileas buddy!)

My favorite part of the story was bringing out a Fisher Space Pen to explain its capabilities and getting outdone by a student with a Japanese fountain pen! Either way, it's a win--the right tool for the right job.

Buzz

I caught the irony of that when he showed me his Pilot. I was pointing out that the end of the pen case was dented because I dropped it. My student has since borrowed a couple of my pens and has many questions about ink. :D

Thank you so much for deciding to share this. Teachers are our unsung heroes. Good on all of you who have shared fountain pens with your students.

Posted Image