Anybody Use Desk Blotters/desk Pads?

sombrueil

I am looking for an upgrade. I bought a "real leather" desk pad on ebay a few years ago. It was cheap, okay? The other advantage is that it is big, 23" x18.5". Otherwise, it is crappy.

Things I want in a desk blotter:

• similar size (fits blotter paper sheets)
  • corners or, preferably, side panels that hold the blotter paper in place, plus can be used to stick letters, notes etc.
  • not cheap-looking! I don't need elaborate or impressive, just well-made.
  • but not over $200

Looking about, I do not see much of anything out there under $300, new or old. Do other people use desk pads, or desk blotters? Where did you get yours? Do you like it? What don't you like about it?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• Shangas

• PaperDarts

• Tasmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I couldn't work without mine. I had inherited the brass blotter corners with my grandfather's desk. They are by Jennings Bros. Foundry of Bridgeport, CT. (c. 1891.)

I cut thin plywood to fit, couldn't find the silk moire the board should be covered with, brass nailed corners and covered corners with felt and waited for the blotter paper. Only one source in the country/world still supplying colored blotter paper I know of, and it's not cheap. Mine is the largest made because the desk is measured in cubits.

I really have gotten spoiled having this and encourage you to pursue it.

-Oslowe

PS I do fountain pen repair and paint... by way of explaining the clutter.

post-116810-0-44773600-1423765844.jpg

I beg to remain, Sir or Madam, your most humble, historical valediction using, and obedient servant, Oslowe

Ooh. Got any close ups? My desk is about the same size, but it is just an old oak teacher's desk from the '50's, not a rolltop. Yours is very cool.

I cut thin plywood to fit, couldn't find the silk moire the board should be covered with, brass nailed corners and covered corners with felt and waited for the blotter paper. Only one source in the country/world still supplying colored blotter paper I know of, and it's not cheap. Mine is the largest made because the desk is measured in cubits.

What's the source?

I found one years and years ago at an office supply store that was closing down. It was a smaller one that fit the desk I had then really well. I couldn't find real blotter paper but cut bristol board paper to fit and that served reasonably well, since I keep smaller sheets of blotter paper for actual blotting. It was firm enough to act as a lap desk now and then. Alas, it was badly bent in a move and I haven't found its like since then. At the moment I'm using a large clear plastic desk protector - okay as a writing surface but not very interesting to look at. Good luck with your search!

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Yes, thrift shops and antique shops would be another great source. At the moment I am seriously coveting the desk set owned by an elderly family member - it is a very old gilded leather blotter holder with side panels that can fold over to hide or anchor your writing paper. When lying flat the side panels hold stamps, a calendar, things like that.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

There was a dealer at the Ohio Pen Show in November that was selling full sheets of blotter paper. I think that I was told that it was government surplus. I picked up a couple of sheets, and am sorry now I didn't get more of it.

I had picked up a desk blotter at an estate sale a couple of months before, but it turns out to be a little too wide for the writing desk I bought -- I forgot to take into account the fact that the desk had raised decorative molding on the sides. :( I don't know what the original price of it was. I also got a rocker blotter, a box that might hold something like memo pads, and a couple of in-out boxes; they seem to be fake leather stitched over cardboard and I think I paid about ten or twelve bucks for everything (the blotter pad was marked at $3).

So now I need a blotter pad that is a little smaller than the original one (which I tried to give away at a pen club meeting but got no takers). And I will then just have to cut the blotter sheets down slightly to fit.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

FLAX in San Francisco had large sheets of blotter paper. I think it was a white or ivory color.

They don't have a web store, but if you contact them, they would probably sell and ship to you.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Bulk sheets of blotter paper - I have found at art supply stores, but had to ask as they were stocked behind the counters. These were very large sheets which I cut down to fit the desk blotter and also as smaller pieces for my rocker blotters.

Desk blotters - Mine was found at a yard sale that was part of an estate sale. It is from the 1940's and has real leather sides about 2.5 - 3 inches wide. Blotter paper is cut to size and tucks inside these side panels. Papers, stamps and all sorts of stuff also get tucked in there.

I have seen vintage large desk blotters in antique stores, usually with other items displayed on top. I would suggest asking as it would be easy to pass one by when searching. Not sure of any quality source for modern ones that would be in the price range mentioned.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

I had 3 old blotting pads that needed refills when I discovered that was not something sold anymore @ your normal office supply store. I think I found a thread here that lead me to Blicks (Art supplies Brooklyn NY) where I found great paper which I could cut to fit my largest size pad. I really only care about the paper's utility not what the pad looks like but I was very interested in the pads sold (with their paper) at ORANGEART.com. It is a site that offers great looking writing papers & if I had been looking for a new pad & paper I would have been happy with the one they show. ( I believe it was $30.) You might look @ it & good luck with your search. I do like the look of the ebay blotting pad.

The only source of colored blotting paper I found was Dacasso. I have no connection to them, just only source I could find. You can find them online at the place named after a large jungle river basin in South America.

I get white blotter paper at the University Bookstore to use in my rocker blotter.

Hope this helps.

-Oslowe

I beg to remain, Sir or Madam, your most humble, historical valediction using, and obedient servant, Oslowe

Now I'm looking at blotter pad corners. I figure I might be able to use my cheesy Artisan "real leather" pad to form the base.

Ebay has some wicked antique blotter corners.

Have you considered making your own blotter? That way you could choose the exact size and materials you like prefer. It's not near as hard to do as you might imagine.

The following are pictures from a book I own that is sadly no longer in print. ("Paper Craft" 1993, North Light Books)

fpn_1423857786__deskblotterinstrctn0001.

fpn_1423857853__deskblotterinstrctn0002.

You can find this book available through "Abebooks.com" for around $4.00 and free shipping. :D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

You can find this book available through "Abebooks.com" for around $4.00 and free shipping. :D

Thanks Nolan613, glad to hear it, it's a neat book full of fun projects. Over the years I've gotten rid of lots of stuff but somehow I just can't let go of this book.

I think I can get the book (different publisher, but sounds as if the contents are similar), at the main branch of the Carnegie Library system.

Now if it would just warm up enough to want me to leave my house.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."