Problem? With Originals Of Their Time 1931 Le Yellow Gold

4pm

Hello there!

I own a new pen from the "Originals of their time 1931" Yellow Gold series.

I decided to sell it via ebay, and after examining the pen I've found out a problem (or not a problem?)

The thing is that the plastic (resin?) part of the barrel (on top of the pen) has a matt brown color.

But as far as I know, this part shall be black. It looks like the color faded with time.

Photos attached.

I have several questions:
1) Is this case common for this Pelikan series?
2) Can this issue be considered as a problem? I mean does it influence the price?
3) Is there any way to fix it?
Many thanks!

post-120501-0-31745700-1423599021_thumb.jpg

post-120501-0-16686600-1423599023_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4pm

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4pm

• sargetalon

• Matlock

• Peine11

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Very common for that series.

2. Depends on how bad the oxidation is, but yes. Yes.

3. Not really.

Edit: Keep out of direct sunlight.

Edited by Peine11

I think there is a way to restore the color on the faded section. I was looking at maxpens.de and the wonderful restorations Max has done on a lot of classic Montblanc pens. One of them looked faded just like yours before restoration, and after he restored it, it looked brand new.

Maybe give Max a shout? He's a member here on FPN, too.

Edited by 2brothers

Todd :happycloud9:

Not only that, the turning knob will turn faded as well. Pelikan tried to emulate 100% of its original version save for some parts ie. feed. The hard rubber will oxidize after a period of time.

It is very common in hard rubber. It is not plastic or resin.

IMO, It has added to taste of vintage, as is seen in original pens.

I do not think it diminish its own value apart from its price.

Sell it as it is.

Edited by tacitus

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

Many thanks to everyone) Assuming that the brown color is some sort of a flaw, is the price $700-$750 ok?

I have one and it has not faded as yet. The colour is not a flaw as the section is, as has been said, hard rubber and that can happen. I think you could get more than $700-$750 if it still has box/paperwork etc. I have seen them go for over $1000 without box and paperwork.

Peter

I have one and it has not faded as yet. The colour is not a flaw as the section is, as has been said, hard rubber and that can happen. I think you could get more than $700-$750 if it still has box/paperwork etc. I have seen them go for over $1000 without box and paperwork.

Okay, thanks))

In terms of hard rubber and the oxidation, I'll link below a great post that I enjoyed in the past with some nice links at the end. I'm always so torn by wanting the pen to look like new and not wanting to mess with what is otherwise a natural process to be expected over time given the material.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/2903-how-to-restore-color-to-black-hard-rubber/

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

In terms of hard rubber and the oxidation, I'll link below a great post that I enjoyed in the past with some nice links at the end. I'm always so torn by wanting the pen to look like new and not wanting to mess with what is otherwise a natural process to be expected over time given the material.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/2903-how-to-restore-color-to-black-hard-rubber/

Thanks a lot! I also love the natural color, but a not so sure about a potential buyer. I think the best option is to sell the pen as it is, with indication of its "peculiarities".

Thanks a lot! I also love the natural color, but a not so sure about a potential buyer. I think the best option is to sell the pen as it is, with indication of its "peculiarities".

I think that you are right so long as it is stressed to potential buyers that this is a natural phenomenon and the consequence of the materials used rather than through error or any fault of your own. I suspect some shrewd would be purchasers to try to haggle your price down because of it though.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan