Closest Alternative To Montblanc Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green

provis

It is with a heavy heart that I report.... my last bottle of Montblanc Jonathan Swift Limited Edition Seaweed Green has just run dry.

Can anyone recommend alternatives that is just as "batshit gold-green" (as my friend calls it) but more importantly -- writes as dry as the MB?

I use it primarily for a pen that's quite a gusher, and so far only this ink tames the flow and ensures words don't come out blobby.

Looking forward to hear what you all think. Thank you!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Axial

• Jeff_H

• provis

• bstnnyc

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you need something that resembles Jonathan Swift's colour/saturation, or its flow characteristics?

If you are looking for a similar colour, I don't really know - Diamine Salamander maybe? But it is likely to be much wetter.

If you don't care much for colour but want a really dry-flowing ink for daily writing, try Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. Its flow is bone dry, more so than even other Pelikan 4001 colours.

Edited by Axial

Hi provis,

I would recommend sticking to the Jonathan Swift ink, since you enjoy the color and ink properties. Some of the MB boutiques still have left over inventory so I would stock up while it is available at the original retail price. My sister picked up 2 bottles for me about 2 weeks ago and they said they had quite a few more.

All the best!

Bahij

Edited by bstnnyc

I've actually never used the Swift so excited to try it! I will be seeing her in two weeks and can do a quick comparison of both inks when I pick it up from her.

Daniel Defoe is greener (more vibrant) and slightly more saturated than Jonathan Swift. It is fairly dry, too.

(I do not like to write with Jonathan Swift precisely because of low saturation - no matter what I do, it always looked too washed out for my liking.)

I just wrote a few pages with Daniel Defoe and I'm know that it's darker than J S. I too am thinking salamander

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Do you need something that resembles Jonathan Swift's colour/saturation, or its flow characteristics?

If you are looking for a similar colour, I don't really know - Diamine Salamander maybe? But it is likely to be much wetter.

If you don't care much for colour but want a really dry-flowing ink for daily writing, try Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. Its flow is bone dry, more so than even other Pelikan 4001 colours.

Hi Axial, I'm looking for its colour and flow characteristics -- that's the biggest challenge as there are inks that have the same seeweedy shades, but flow far wetter.

I'm a big fan of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black -- where I'm from, it's really cheap too.

I personally do not have issues with Olde Emerald, but most my nibs run on the wet to extremely wet.

I do love the color... :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Hi,

Perhaps Organics Studio Walt Whitman Leaves of Grass?

We also have the trove of thirty Green inks contributed by Member Geoduc : Part One http://www.fountainp...wabs/?p=2261565

As for decreasing the wetness of the ink, dilution is a viable option.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I have tried quite a few greens trying to match the color of JS.....nothing is quite right. I paid far too much for a bottle of Sailor Epinard....too dark, but nice. Takawa Matsu, closer to Daniel Defoe. J Herbin Vert Empire.... yuck. My local stores do not have stock of JS, so I bought 2 bottles on eBay for about $70 total. I like. It that much. I now have 3 bottles and would buy more if someone pointed me in the right direction.

I've grown to love the Defoe Palm Green however. I am stocking up on that too.

Edited by Jeff_H

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

I just picked up a bottle yesterday. The boutique near me has a bunch in stock.

We may have to work something out to help your boutique diminish their stock.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

Welcome to MB's wonderful marketing world of LEs

Personally I wouldn't go around to the boutiques like a squeegie person begging for any leftovers Sounds kind of Dickensian ("may I have some more porridge please sir"). Choke on 'em

If you didn't stock up on JS, Hitchcock, RG etc you're SOL

2 things, first, for the OP. I just ordered a sample of "Super 5" ink, called Dublin. I ordered it from Goulet Pens. Very close in color to JS. It can be a little dark if you use heavier pressure, but once I lightened up again (and once the feed wasn't completely saturated), it lightened up nicely. I would say it's just ever so slightly darker, but not by much. I didn't have time tonight, but tomorrow I'll compare it directly to JS. It also feels like JS. Again, perhaps not quite as dry, but close. It is, by far, the closest to JS that I have found. "Dublin", by "Super 5". Goulet Pens (no affiliation).

Second, I called my local boutique, just to double check the ink they carried... no luck. However, she advised me to call another store, as she remembered them telling her about having some in stock during a conversation about ink a while ago. So, I called. Wow!! They had 3 bottles in stock, and the clerk said they received these bottles fairly recently and thought they could possibly get more. That I am dubious of, however, I bought all 3 bottles. I was also able to get 2 bottles of JFK and one more bottle of Defoe. So, 6 bottles of ink, $108 + tax. Free shipping. Hard to beat that.

Anyhow, check out that Dublin ink. Really close and really nice. I don't know how long it will take me to go through 6 bottles of JS, but I may buy the Dublin to help stretch it's longevity. It's that nice.