Lined, Or Plain?

Alexcat

There used to be a little bit of snobbishness( just from my own experience in the distant past) about using ruled paper for writing letters(this was long before the advent of computers, and email)

So, I'd be really interested if anyone else had had that experience, and also what your own preference for letter writing is....lined, or unlined?

I use lined in all my own writing, but feel more drawn to(no pun intended) unlined for letters, and Im not sure if that's a throwback for me, to when it was 'not the done thing'. If it is, I want to get rid of it....

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• fountainpenlady

• Sandy1

• cattar

I never had such an experience - I'm probably too young for it, plus in this day, a letter, be it on lined or unlined paper, will be very welcomed.

My preference is unlined - because I bought a ream of paper and I'm trying to finish it. Slowly but surely, I'm writing in straight lines. On special occasions I use my lined Rhodia.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

There used to be a little bit of snobbishness( just from my own experience in the distant past) about using ruled paper for writing letters(this was long before the advent of computers, and email)

So, I'd be really interested if anyone else had had that experience, and also what your own preference for letter writing is....lined, or unlined?

I use lined in all my own writing, but feel more drawn to(no pun intended) unlined for letters, and Im not sure if that's a throwback for me, to when it was 'not the done thing'. If it is, I want to get rid of it....

Alex

I remember that from my parents also, letters were always written on plain paper, a guide sheet being permissiable (just) if absolutely necessary.

I think this stems from the idea that it takes practice, and lots of it, to write in tidy straight lines all the way down the page without resorting to lined paper or guide sheets so using lined paper becomes a sign that one hasn't been applying oneself sufficiently to learning the skill of writing and, by extension, to education and learning in general.

Dom

Yes, it definitely seems to be a generational think, I think. That said, I've loved stationery since as far back as I can remember....when we were 'going into town'( I lived in the east end of Glasgow, and a trip to town on the bus(no cars then....I was the first in my family to learn to drive and get a car) was special. I always wanted to go to stationery shops. And the Clyde Model Dockyard, a shop in the Argyle Arcade....Airfix kits for planes and ships etc.

(My favourite toys were a huge box of Lego bricks - back when Lego was Lego....and you had to make things using imagination, rather than all these things they have now; that, and a big box of Dinky cars(prize possession - a bin lorry from France, with sliding sides, and a brush underneath)

Tomboy.....yep....

Apologies for going completely off topic and down memory lane. If Im spared I'll be 60 this year, and life is rather odd right now, trying to just to widowhood.....

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

I go both ways.

With monarch size I do unlined.

With anything that's 8 1/2 x 11 I use my printer to line and border it.

Hi,

I use unlined when at all possible.

I tend to draw rather than write at ruling less than 5mm, so if I'm forced to use lined paper and the ruling is so narrow that it slows my pace, I've been known to ignore the lines or even write across the lines in landscape rather than portrait orientation. (My music teacher responded most unkindly to the way I marked-up my score.)

I may well use a guide sheet under the unlined 'active' sheet if I want to write in a size other than my natural hand (esp. when I've chosen a very narrow or very wide nib), or when I've chosen an A3 or larger sheet. I commonly use A0 as my 'whiteboard'.

Bye,

S1

http://biglitho.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/A0-poster-size-160x160.jpg

image from biglitho.uk

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I much prefer unlined whether for letter writing, taking notes or just random jottings.

I remember when I was a little kid how impressed I was that one babysitter we had would do her homework on unlined paper. It seemed very grown up. As for writing letters, these days I'm usually using notecards, which are unlined.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I prefer writing on college-ruled lined paper, but without the silly wide left margin, so unless I can get exactly what I want, I will buy unlined and print lines that are to my liking.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Hi,

I use unlined when at all possible.

I tend to draw rather than write at ruling less than 5mm, so if I'm forced to use lined paper and the ruling is so narrow that it slows my pace, I've been known to ignore the lines or even write across the lines in landscape rather than portrait orientation. (My music teacher responded most unkindly to the way I marked-up my score.)

I may well use a guide sheet under the unlined 'active' sheet if I want to write in a size other than my natural hand (esp. when I've chosen a very narrow or very wide nib), or when I've chosen an A3 or larger sheet. I commonly use A0 as my 'whiteboard'.

Bye,

S1

http://biglitho.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/A0-poster-size-160x160.jpg

image from biglitho.uk

Thanks....and I love the illustration....the paper sizing: made me think of a cat flap :)

Alex

I use exclusively unlined/blank/plain for everything, journal writing, listing, letter writing. The most difficult challenge for me is to find stationery without lines. The creation of other sources beyond the local stationery stores, which there are very few, and none which deal with fine stationery, or fountain pens. Now, one of the two I am currently enjoying is Rhodia #16 top stapled pad, off white. I prefer off white paper than white paper for some reason. I don't have any trouble writing straight, in fact, love when I go off course/slanted on the page.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I have both types of paper. I use Staples Eco-Friendly or Rhodia tablets for my letter writing. I do have some Crane and Southworth cotten content stationery that I place lined paper under for letters once in awhile. Its a personal choice and kudos to those who can write nice straight lines on unlined paper.

Edited by cakibler

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I use exclusively unlined/blank/plain for everything, journal writing, listing, letter writing. The most difficult challenge for me is to find stationery without lines. The creation of other sources beyond the local stationery stores, which there are very few, and none which deal with fine stationery, or fountain pens. Now, one of the two I am currently enjoying is Rhodia #16 top stapled pad, off white. I prefer off white paper than white paper for some reason. I don't have any trouble writing straight, in fact, love when I go off course/slanted on the page.

Coincidence/synchronicity.....I have just sent for exactly that! Had a discount voucher to use, so splurged on some pads. It seems so difficult to find plain paper. I'm happy using lined for my Captains Log( as Miss Piggy would say, "Pretentious? Moi?"......don't much like either diary or journal, and am a Trekkie, and I am easily amused :) ) and I am 'thrifty' with scrap paper.....for daily "to do" lists, and reminders(I need to write everything down, as my memory was affected by a stroke, and if I don't see it, I forget about it....so the backs of envelopes, and out of date Filofax paper, all good for that.

Letters, though, I do like plain.

Alex

Thanks....and I love the illustration....the paper sizing: made me think of a cat flap :)

Alex

Hi,

You're welcome!

I thought that illustration was a good comparative depiction of A3 and A0 for those who are unaccustomed to those sizes.

Cat flap!?! Perhaps I can find an illustration that does not conjure such a response, rather that it invites one to start writing. :D

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I thought that illustration was a good depiction of A3 and A0 for those who are unaccustomed to those sizes.

Cat flap!?! Perhaps I can find an illustration that does not conjure such a response, rather that it invites one to start writing. :D

Bye,

S1

Oh, it's a very good invitation to start writing something........please don't change it! It's the way my mind works...I see images in things which are totally unrelated to the reality; the 'cat flap' makes it all the more so, for me, as it gave me a smile( and anything that makes me smile is good, as life's not wonderful right now)

Alex

PS please keep the cat flap....Spock and Data(my cats, who keep me going) would agree... ;)

Alexcat, what is the thriftiest scrap of paper used so far? I have used store receipts, backs of business cards, library scrap paper, old card catalog cards, other half of computer copy paper, less the part printed on.What have you used as scrap paper for your "to do" or reminder lists? I have always kept a journal. Now, I am actually keeping a journal, while using my Samsung Tablet to read how to keep one. :lticaptd:

I am learning how to use it for therapeutic means. Believe the rear of envelopes and Filofax paper may have me beat. I tend to forget things I do not write down or repeat outloud to myself more than twice. Believe in years it has become worse, but gives me cause to use my fountain pens more, enjoy my ink much and see what other uses can be made of anything which I can write upon to remember something important.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I have both types of paper. I use Staples Eco-Friendly or Rhodia tablets for my letter writing. I do have some Crane and Southworth cotten content stationery that I place lined paper under for letters once in awhile. Its a personal choice and kudos to those who can write nice straight lines on unlined paper.

I had not thought of straight lines on unlined paper. Where I live literally there is only one book store. The big box store with the coffee shop only carries almost exclusively lined journals. Don't go there often, but no matter the time between visits, months, years, the same journals sit on dusty shelves. They literally never move and seem to be unpopular. They have become like the empty vase one uses to fill the space between buying flowers. Disheartening. Several craft stores also carry lined journals, unlined journal found are only sketch books. When younger, I used to get so frustrated with what I had termed the contradiction. How can one use a journal to express one's thoughts, feelings, imagination and do so between the lines on a page? Confining, suffocating. I feel using unlined paper effortless. Believe there may at times be slight slanted words. Yet, the absolute freedom felt when lookng at an unlined page feels so inviting, liberating to me.

Plain. Lined is for sissies.

Plain. Lined is for sissies.

I would not go that far, :lticaptd: perhaps for people who require structure and boundaries.