Lamy Safari With 1.9 Mm Nib

prime.lens

I'd like to buy a Lamy Safari with a 1.9mm nib as a starter calligraphy pen. I know that the Lamy Joy usually comes with this nib which is also interchangeable with the Safari. I prefer the looks of the Safari over the Joy but I can't seem to find a US retailer who carries the Safari with this nib. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prime.lens

• djpyle

• ac12

• Ste_S

If you can't find the 1.9mm on a Safari, you could always just get the pen with a Fine, Medium, or Broad nib and then buy the 1.9mm separately. If I recall, they're only about 13 or 14 dollars.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Can't you just a pen with e.g. a broad nib or a different nib suitable for every day writing and then buy your 1.9mm italic nib separately. The nibs are quite cheap only about a fiver.

You can get any of the various nibs on a Safari at Writer's Bloc. There may be other places tooFontoplumo is one I know of that's based out of the Netherlands but has great prices and very reasonable shipping chargesbut Writer's Bloc (no affiliation) was the shop I ran across recently when looking for an Al-Star with a 1.1 nib, and they're located in the US.

It's a shame many stores no longer offer the full range of nibs on all the compatible pens. I can understand why they don't, but it's still a bummer if you're like me and have all the finer-tipped nibs you'll ever need and just want an italic.

Thanks for the replies. I already have one with fine nib and don't want to be switching nibs all the time. But I guess I'll just have to live with an extra nib.

Get a Safari with a XF or M nib, something different from what you already have.

Then if you get bored of your F nib, you can switch to XF or M.

In the US, Goulet "used to" do that. Unfortunately the labor to pull nibs off ALL the pens, and put new ones on based on the person buying it, became too labor and cost prohibitive. And it seems they were ending up with nibs that no one wanted. You could call around and ask other Lamy dealers if they would swap nibs for you.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I own a Safair, Joy and Studio, all of which I have "run" with a 1.9 nib for Italic Calligraphy. If you are just starting out in calligraphy my personal suggestion is to try an Osmiroid FP.

Whilst there is certainly nothing wrong with Lamy FP's, I own quite a number, I find the the 1.9 nibs to be more cursive (rounded edges) than the sharp nibs available for an Osmiroid FP.

Osmiroid FP's are no longer manufacturerd but are readily available on the net. A B2 nib would be similar in size to aLamy 1.9.

Either way enjoy your foray into calligraphy.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

• 2 weeks later...