• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• FriendAmos

• Sasha Royale

• Charles Rice

What a blowhard !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

This is my response to these muppets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6f5vJuH6Yw

We had a powercut at work yesterday and people started to head home because they couldn't work without their computers... ha ha ha!

Some of us managed to keep going and made notes for the next day. Notes like: what we were working on; what needs to happen tomorrow; a plan of attack to make up for half a days lost time; etc...

Without a pen and paper not only would noone have been able to continue; but also the next day would have been a nightmare trying to catch up and remembering where everything was left off / what work was lost!

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

I predict that Microsoft Bob will have become extinct a decade ago. Same with Microsoft Team Manager. In 1996, my office moved. I skimmed some copies of PC Tech Journal as I threw them out. About 1986, Bill Gates predicted that by 1989 we would all be using Advanced DOS (ADOS), which would have been a merger of XENIX and OS/2. Curious: how long did Windows ME last? Did your company switch to Windows Vista? Or did it, like mine, conclude that Vista was a bug-riddled memory hog, and stick with XP until Microsoft released something better?

I haven't seen Microsoft release anything better than XP. Frankly Windows 8 is s***e and overclogged overapped s***e at that.

I know these types. They get on tv or in the paper with some controversial quote and they get exposure and stuff.

I'll bet 10k euros we'll still be using FPs in 2025.

edit: forgot to add my grumpy >8[

>8[

Edited by Don Zardeone

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

I've avoided commenting on this topic for a couple of months now, but the question just won't go away. My feelings are strong on this, so forgive me if it turns into a bit of a rant. These are only my thoughts that I'm sharing.

Pens will be around for as long as people will write; and fountain pens will be around as long as people will enjoy the experience of writing. It's extremely unfortunate that penmanship is no long required to be taught in schools, and that only 5 states currently have it in their curriculum. This will undoubtedly have an impact on not only the pen and paper world, but on intellectual capacity and development as well.

I do think, though, that we will figure it out -- the pendulum will swing back. There will be a movement to restore penmanship to the curriculum when those who didn't think it through will begin to see the repercussions of their decisions.

In the meantime, a devout following will develop (has been/ is developing?) around all aspects of quality writing instruments: pens of various kinds, well made paper, beautiful inks, etc. People will begin to appreciate the joy of writing, and they will never disappear. Even if larger companies were to discontinue their product lines (highly unlikely), there will always be small, independent manufacturers like Edison and Franklin-Christoph to keep the banner waving for the groundswell.

In the 1970s, Popular Mechanics predicted that cars will become obsolete by the year 2000 when personal airplanes and jetpacks came on the scene.

If you want to attract attention, predict the demise of something well loved by many.

With the cost of electricity in Ontario, we will not be able to afford the power for our PC machines and will have to go back to journalling with a fountain pen. by oil lamp during long winter months the way we used to 50 years ago.

With the cost of electricity in Ontario,

What, they now have electricity in Canada??? :)

Only on its southern border :lticaptd:

We have had electricity and telephones for nearly 20 years in this neighbourhood.

Given Microsoft's very poor prophecy record I'm surprised that anyone gives a flying leap what they think. It just exposes the general ignorance of the speaker.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

While the use of pens will probably continue to decrease as digital styluses near perfection, there will still be enthusiasts (and always unique advantages to ink and paper). Also, I think the fountain pen will outlive the ballpoint as enthusiasts will keep it around long after it's the most practical option.

Well, I think the Microsoft CEO is wrong, of course. As most of their CEOs have been when it comes to "predicting the future" over the last two decades.

But, the idea that some kind of "digital pen" (HAH) or other "smart device" (Double HAH) will replace a fountain pen, a gel pen, or even a cheapo pencil anytime soon is loopy.

That said, I think digital technology (notice I didn't say "Microsoft" per se) has probably HELPED fountain pens continue to thrive, at least in the USA.

With online shopping available, and great forums like FPN, it's easier than ever to find a good pen and get some ink delivered right to my door. I remember a couple of years back, when literally I went scrounging around at local Staples and Office Depot for some FP ink. I probably the last bottle of Quink stocked on the retail shelf in this town!

Now, I can get all I want, delivered, and cheaper than I paid for it at a retail brick and mortar store. :D

- I suspect that Microsoft's programmers use pen-and-paper, or pencil, to draw design sketches or to write chunks of code.

- I remember when one of our development groups issued a "teach me how to code with this tool", rather than a written manual, to support a new interface development component. They insisted that no programmers wanted written documentation, pointing to a "Learn Java" program from Sun. Drove us nuts. I went to their office, looked around, and saw the same Java manuals we used. "So", said I, "How did you all learn Java?" Next version had a manual.

- I have been in the computer business long enough to remember six or ten "paradigm shifts". Not much changed.

- I also remember when Bill Gates promised that by 1987, we would all be using Advanced DOS, which would unify Microsoft's Xenix (a variety of UNIX) and OS/2. We are still waiting for that 1987 moment.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

- I suspect that Microsoft's programmers use pen-and-paper, or pencil, to draw design sketches or to write chunks of code.

- I remember when one of our development groups issued a "teach me how to code with this tool", rather than a written manual, to support a new interface development component. They insisted that no programmers wanted written documentation, pointing to a "Learn Java" program from Sun. Drove us nuts. I went to their office, looked around, and saw the same Java manuals we used. "So", said I, "How did you all learn Java?" Next version had a manual.

- I have been in the computer business long enough to remember six or ten "paradigm shifts". Not much changed.

- I also remember when Bill Gates promised that by 1987, we would all be using Advanced DOS, which would unify Microsoft's Xenix (a variety of UNIX) and OS/2. We are still waiting for that 1987 moment.

We got poopwater though <8] http://www.gatesnotes.com/Development/Omniprocessor-From-Poop-to-Potable

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

There are all variety of modern garden implements these days, both gas and electric powered. The hardware store still sells shovels. Some tools are just better suited to the task at hand.

They like to hide the fact by calling it "Hydro." :P

Chris

Carpe Stylum!