What Technically Superior Pens?

canadian

Among all new pens, ignoring marketing b.s. (example MBs) and ignoring heavily ornamented pens (diamond encrusted, intricately decorated: Dunhill-Namiki Sakura Rose), which pens do you think really demonstrate a technical achievement in pen technology?

"But it is the same with humanity as with the tree. The more he seeks to rise into the height and light, the more vigorously do his roots struggle earthward, downward, into the dark and deep – into the evil." - Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm. Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• canadian

• jar

• FOUR X FOUR

In technology? Fountain Pen is an ancient design!

Ehh, mechanically wise, Pilot Custom 823 has a nice piston that reduce the pressure caused by the plunger design. That's nice.

TBH, the fact that the fountain pen design is this frigging old and still relevant in these days is one of the things that make me love them. It's like the 1911 handgun. It's 100 years old and still one of the best handgun in the world, and the firearm market is a very forward thinking one.

Edited by flipper_gv

Visconti Homo Sapiens. Lava based barrel and cap, double chambered ink storage, power filler with a titanium rod. I agree regarding the Lamy 2000 also though...and of course just IMHO ;)

Oops, I forgot to mention the 23K Palladium nib...my bad :)

Edited by stevekolt

In technology? Fountain Pen is an ancient design!

Well then why does it matter which brand you buy? If they're all using the same technology, then surely by now they should all have caught up to one another?

"But it is the same with humanity as with the tree. The more he seeks to rise into the height and light, the more vigorously do his roots struggle earthward, downward, into the dark and deep – into the evil." - Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm. Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

They are all more or less caught up in that ink gets to the paper... It is just that in some cases ink gets to the paper in 1) a more accurate method 2) in a smoother manner 3) in a more asthesic to hold manner. A Pen is like a car - a cheap car and a limo will both get you there - but there are Toyota Corollas and there are Mercedes S550's to suit different tastes. At this point there is no great revolution in FP technology - just evolution to improve the experience by lowering the tolerances.

I don't think "technically superior" and "pen" belong in the same sentence. ;)

I would have to vote Visconti for being the most technologically advanced. Some of their designs and materials wouldn't have been possible without today's technology.

To those who said the Lamy 2K, it has been around since the 1960s... I wouldn't call it the latest and greatest technology.

Edited by 2brothers

Todd :happycloud9:

To those who said the Lamy 2K, it has been around since the 1960s... I wouldn't call it the latest and greatest technology.

Neither would I. But that wasn't the question.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

They are all more or less caught up in that ink gets to the paper... It is just that in some cases ink gets to the paper in 1) a more accurate method 2) in a smoother manner 3) in a more asthesic to hold manner. A Pen is like a car - a cheap car and a limo will both get you there - but there are Toyota Corollas and there are Mercedes S550's to suit different tastes. At this point there is no great revolution in FP technology - just evolution to improve the experience by lowering the tolerances.

What if the user can control how much ink flows without replacing nibs?

Well then why does it matter which brand you buy? If they're all using the same technology, then surely by now they should all have caught up to one another?

Caught up about 50 years ago or more.

But what brand you buy depends on many other factors.

My Website

In some respects it doesn't really matter. A large proportion of pens use the same filling system (c/c), and a large proportion of pens use steel nibs often from the same three companies (Bock, Jowo and Schmidt).

Modern pens are very conservative to maximise profits in a smaller market. Vintage pens where able to be much more experimental becuase of the volume of sales - greater range in filling systems and materials used in pen bodies, and much bigger selection of nibs available.

Christof or was that Fountainable?, a member here, makes the most up to date pen now made. He patented a new max filling system; non leaking plane proof pen. It is small two man shop making them as ordered.

A bit out of my range....but a grand pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Visconti Homo Sapiens. Lava based barrel and cap, double chambered ink storage, power filler with a titanium rod. I agree regarding the Lamy 2000 also though...and of course just IMHO ;)

Thought the homo sapiens with lava had a hidden converter system and only the crystal editions had the power filler

Well it's all about execution of the design.

Edited by flipper_gv

Pilot Vanishing Point. I don't care for them personally, but they've been around a lot longer than other retractables and have really made it work.

Well it's all about execution of the design.

Yup, the devil is in the details, in the materials and workmanship and attention to detail and fit & finish.

My Website

As far as I`m concerned, FP technology hit the ceiling during the 40ies

(with the possible exception of the cartridge/converter system & the Pilot Capless of the 60ies, which improved the Météore/Pullman Capless of the 30ies).

I don`t believe there were fundamental improvements since then.