Waterman Edson Fountain Pen Nib Leakage/creep

taiga

Dear all, I'm new to the forum. This is my first post. I hope I'm posting this inquiry to the correct board.

I have a Waterman Edson fountain pen with a broad nib. It is in perfect condition and is rarely used. Unfortunately, I discovered that the nib "creeps", when the pen is held vertically. The leakage can be substantial if I ink the pen and hold it in a vertical position; ink would slowly gather at the tip of the nib, and even form a tiny drop and fall from it. If I slightly tilt the pen to its normal writing position, this problem is alleviated. However, the nib would then become excessively wet when inked up freshly and used for normal writing.
Also, I noted that when I use a converter to ink up the pen, as I turn the knob of the converter, the ink is not being drawn up as it is supposed to. Thus, I cannot fill the ink up to the converter's full capacity, but can only fill to less than one third of the converter's visible capacity.
I'm not sure if any of you have encountered this problem before with a Waterman Edson and if there is an easy fix. Or would you recommend that I send it back to Waterman for repair or nib exchange. Although the warranty card says "lifetime warranty", this is an old pen (looks brand new), and I'm not sure if Waterman would honor that. I've read online that years ago Waterman changed its policy and annulled the lifetime warranty on its pens.
Any input would be appreciated, as I really would like to start using this pen instead of just putting it away in my collection.

Thank you.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taiga

• viclip

• mhosea

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you done the obvious & ensured that the converter is fully seated?

Also have you ensured that the converter's metal band is screwed snugly?

It's unclear whether you've tried the pen using a cartridge. If the pen behaves with a cartridge installed, or for that matter using a different converter, then the original converter is at fault (assuming it's properly seated & assembled).

I tried cartridge just now, and for some reason the Waterman cartridge won't fit tightly. In fact, it is very loose, and would easily fall off...I have not clue why this is so.

The converter fit tightly and would not move or wiggle once in position. However, I don't think I can "screw" the converter by turning it either clockwise or counterclockwise. There is simply no "screw-on" effect whatsoever. I do notice the converter's metal band you mentioned, however, it cannot be "screwed" into position snugly. Rather, it is simply "pushed" into position, albeit rather snugly.

Does this seem an anomaly?

New to the forum and just realized that I did not quote your message in my reply.

I cannot seem to "screw" the converter on, as there is no "screw-on" effect, and the cartridge simply wouldn't fit into position snugly.

It's unclear whether you've tried the pen using a cartridge. If the pen behaves with a cartridge installed, or for that matter using a different converter, then the original converter is at fault (assuming it's properly seated & assembled).

I just tried the converter from my Waterman Carene, and the converter wouldn't fit either. Some situation as the cartridge. It simply can't be pushed into position, and would fall off if not held by hand in position....very odd.

I searched the forum and found this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/281742-waterman-edson-question/

I'm thinking that maybe the "lance" of the nib section is broken, resulting in the looseness of fit of cartridge and converters.

Does anyone know how I can replace this? Where I can find replacement part? And if it's beyond my means, who should I send it to and how much it would cost to fix this if a broken "lance" is indeed the culprit?

Thank you.

Using a graduated tooth pick, I find that the piercing lance on my Edson nib unit protrudes by about 1/4" from the main body of the feed. If yours doesn't approximate that distance then you may very well have a snapped piercing lance.

You might just be better off purchasing an entire nib unit, I've seen excellent pricing in the Classifieds thread here; then there's eBay of course. Your preferred colour of the section & nib size may not be readily available so consider Waterman for replacement, their technicians could also just replace the feed itself.

At one time member lewertowski was able to supply miscellaneous Waterman parts. He used to have an eBay store but my last information is that he migrated to Amazon.

Thank you very much for your information. It has been very helpful. Upon inspection under light, it seems that the lance is not snapped per se, but may be damaged laterally. In any event, I have already tried to contact Waterman for repair or replacement, but their reply has been laggard. I have not heard anything from them after sending two emails in the past three days.

Again, thank you for your knowledgeable answer, and your taking time to inspect your own pen. I really appreciate it.

Using a graduated tooth pick, I find that the piercing lance on my Edson nib unit protrudes by about 1/4" from the main body of the feed. If yours doesn't approximate that distance then you may very well have a snapped piercing lance.

You might just be better off purchasing an entire nib unit, I've seen excellent pricing in the Classifieds thread here; then there's eBay of course. Your preferred colour of the section & nib size may not be readily available so consider Waterman for replacement, their technicians could also just replace the feed itself.

At one time member lewertowski was able to supply miscellaneous Waterman parts. He used to have an eBay store but my last information is that he migrated to Amazon.

May I ask how much does a Edson nib section typically cost?

If green nib units in gold trim suit you then take a gander at these for about 2 bills:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/31806-waterman-edson-nib-units/

I've paid around 3 bills for blue/gold trim & black/silver trim Edson nib units & thought that was a bargain.

Apparently the list price is 6 bills +.

Having said that, keep an eye on eBay etc. You may find just the nib unit for a good price or for that matter an entire pen so long as the nib's in good shape.

Edited by viclip

If green nib units in gold trim suit you then take a gander at these for about 2 bills:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/31806-waterman-edson-nib-units/

I've paid around 3 bills for blue/gold trim & black/silver trim Edson nib units & thought that was a bargain.

Apparently the list price is 6 bills +.

Having said that, keep an eye on eBay etc. You may find just the nib unit for a good price or for that matter an entire pen so long as the nib's in good shape.

Thank you very much for the info and advice.

What do you think I should do with this Edson that I have. I mean, it is in perfect cosmetic condition, and I don't want to throw it away. I already paid over 4 bills for it from ebay. The seller did not inform me of the issue and refused to accept return and provide a refund.

Alas, I think the best bet may be to try to find a usable section with acceptable price...It seems such a waster to through this otherwise good nib section away...

Have you tried the Waterman thread, perhaps someone there can assist with just replacing the feed portion &/or can provide some direction as to locating an entire replacement nib unit:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/forum/60-waterman/

I'd also be tempted to spend some time using one of those daily eBay searches hoping to find a good deal on an Edson with a damaged barrel, lost cap etc. but with a good nib unit.

Have you tried the Waterman thread, perhaps someone there can assist with just replacing the feed portion &/or can provide some direction as to locating an entire replacement nib unit:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/forum/60-waterman/

I'd also be tempted to spend some time using one of those daily eBay searches hoping to find a good deal on an Edson with a damaged barrel, lost cap etc. but with a good nib unit.

Thank you for the advice. I will try to seek help from that forum. But first, I am trying to see if the seller can refund me, even partially, so that I can go ahead and purchase a new section or have this one fixed by some expert.

I am very grateful for your time and patience in helping me sort things out. Thank you.

Doesn't seem reasonable that the entire section would need replacing. What do *they* charge for the replacement?

Another, sort of "outside the box" possibility is to see if some professional will epoxy in a squeeze filler with a PVC sac. I foolishly converted a Sheaffer Connaisseur to ED and then regretted it. I was in much the same boat because I no longer had the piercing tube in place. So I bored out the section and epoxied in a section of tubing to form a sac nipple.

15511747179_e0a593223f_z.jpg

Works great. A professional with a lathe and access to a variety of spare parts might be able to make it look like it always had a squeeze filler attached.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Doesn't seem reasonable that the entire section would need replacing. What do *they* charge for the replacement?

Another, sort of "outside the box" possibility is to see if some professional will epoxy in a squeeze filler with a PVC sac. I foolishly converted a Sheaffer Connaisseur to ED and then regretted it. I was in much the same boat because I no longer had the piercing tube in place. So I bored out the section and epoxied in a section of tubing to form a sac nipple.

15511747179_e0a593223f_z.jpg

Works great. A professional with a lathe and access to a variety of spare parts might be able to make it look like it always had a squeeze filler attached.

Thanks for bringing up this possibility. Great craftsmanship there you've done with this pen, and a novel solution. If I cannot find a conventional yet economical solution, this is certainly an option. Thank you for sharing.