"bulletproof" Blue Suggestions

Xaotic Script

Hello Everyone,

I just got a Pilot Metro as a everyday writer. Now that my starter cartridge has all but ran out, I'm looking for something I can put through the pen. I prefer to find something both bulletproof and blue. I've seen a couple Noodler colors that I like, e.g. Lux. Blue or Bay State Blue, but I want to make sure that these inks are "safe" for my new pen. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xaotic Script

• amberleadavis

• torstar

• Sasha Royale

Thanks for the reply. I tried using the topic search, but the applet seems to just hang. What precautions should I take with the BSB and my Pilot metro? I know about the staining, but my pen is all black, not a demo type.

Edited by Xaotic Script

Baystate Blue is a great blue- definitely one of my favourites. It should be fine in your Metro. Just make sure that when you decide to refill or change inks, you give it a thorough flushing.

Edited by Suji

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Pilot Blue is as durable as most people need. That's probably what is in your cartridge. If the Metro has a converter -- allows you to fill directly from a bottle -- then you've got a wide choice of tenacious blue inks.

If the Metro does not have or accept a converter, you can use a syringe to refill the Pilot cartridge.

Main issue with ultra permanent inks, and the reason our parents insisted that we use washable inks back in the '50s: whatever quality makes an ink bond to paper will make the same ink permanently stick to clothing and wood floors and wood furniture. You can have near-absolute permanence or easy wash-up, but you can't have both in the same ink.

When I want "pretty much permanent" ink, I take my weekly favorite ink and mix Parker Quink with Solv-X. The old stuff. Smells the way ink should smell. Look for Solv-X on the label...there are usually a half-dozen bottles on EBay. (Solv-X was a pen-cleaning ingredient that Parker added in the late '30s. "Cleans your pen as it writes". Was removed from Quink about 15 years ago because Solv-X can cause health-problems to people who work in ink factories. An EU rule, I suspect)

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

In my experience BSB tends to feather too much and its staining qualities don't inspire me to use it in any of my pens.

MB Permanent blue is "bulletproof" and has a nice flow.

Pilot Blue is not bulletproof but has very good water resistance.

Noodler's Libery's Elysium is not fully bulletproof but its water resistance is great.

I haven't tried the De Atramentist Document blue but it is said to be "bombproof"... ;)

Hi XaoticScript,

:W2FPN:

Noodler's Luxury Blue is bulletproof but I have not used it. I do recall it being a liked ink. Reviews are here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/160612-index-of-ink-reviews/?p=1743404

Noodler's Bad Blue Heron is bulletproof. Works fine in my pens but does dry out if left uncapped too long or if the pen is not used daily or so. I use and like this ink.

Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher is also bulletproof but I have not used it. I refer you to the Ink reviews here on FPN https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/160612-index-of-ink-reviews/?p=1743404

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium Blue is an exclusive for Goulet Pen's. I don't think it is characterized as fully bulletproof. It's a great blue color that I like and I do use it.

You can find the properties of Noodler's inks here: http://noodlersink.com/noodlers-ink-properties/

Noodler's Baystate Blue is not bulletproof. I do not recommend it for new fountain pen users. I have used it but it does require a high level of pen hygiene.

I think Platinum has a pigment ink. There should be reviews on that, too. Pigment ink for fountain pens does require more attention to keeping your pen clean and used regularly.

There are Iron Gall based inks. I'm not absolutely sure of all the makes. Rohrer & Klinger makes one called Silax and another called Scabiosa. Lamy blue-black might be iron gall based. Iron gall inks are not necessarily bulletproof but they are are more enduring that most pure dye-based inks.

The Noodler's inks are bottle only so you'll need a converter to use them.

Enjoy,

Rick

Noodler's Polar Blue

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Wow great input everyone. I think I will go with BSB. As for cleaning my Metro, anyone have any tips? I've only owned one fountain pen before, a Cross Century II, and I just removed the nib and flushed it under running tap water.

Thanks again!

Wow great input everyone. I think I will go with BSB. As for cleaning my Metro, anyone have any tips? I've only owned one fountain pen before, a Cross Century II, and I just removed the nib and flushed it under running tap water.

Thanks again!

fpn_1357109297__earbulbs.jpg

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Xaotic Script, this thread may prove useful in determining an ink to be bulletproof.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/218717-waterproof-permanent-bulletproof-archival-eternal-pigmented/

Also a de-soldering bulb (from the Source, the former Radio Shack) with the nylon front nozzle removed, can fit over some section threads. I can use this bulb to flush out my Sailor's nib/sections & my JoWo nib units.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Thanks for the reply. I tried using the topic search, but the applet seems to just hang. What precautions should I take with the BSB and my Pilot metro? I know about the staining, but my pen is all black, not a demo type.

As noted by at least one other poster, please make sure to clean out any prior ink and make sure the flow of the BSB is fresh (not sitting there for 2 months.)

This stuff will stain your friend's stainless steel sink for a few days...

OK, so I actually changed things up and went with the Bad Belted Kingfisher. I hope I didn't go wrong here. Thanks again, everyone for the great responses.

What about Platinum Pigment Blue? I have it but still not tested, but as I heard its bulletproof as the Carbon, which is. I like that.

BBK and BSB are not bulletproof. Water removes much of BBK, and BSB flees before bleach and alcohol

Legal Lapis, Legal Blue if you can still find it, Noodler's Blue Steel, BBH and Polar Blue as mentioned, are all bulletproof.

Baystate Blue is vulnerable to isopropyl alcohol, and sunlight. It is one of the fastest-fading inks tested. And if it mixes with other inks, it turns into a nasty, pen-clogging sludge.

What does your "bulletproof" ink need to withstand? Water? Light? Chemistry lab solvents? Iron gall inks will stand up to water, but not light or bleach. Noodler's has a matrix of the various properties of their inks. Any of them that are described as "bulletproof" or "eternal" should stand up to any solvent that doesn't destroy the paper, and any that are described as "partially bulletproof" will remain legible, though one or more color components may be lost (e.g., the red in Red-Black is water soluble, but the black is bulletproof). And Amberlea Davis has posted a spreadsheet describing the results of her tests for lightfastness here.

Edited by Arkanabar

I don't think it would rise to the level of "bullet proof" but I have really enjoyed Chesterfield Capri, which I believe is the same as Diamine Royal Blue. It is a nice neutral (not green or purple leaning) blue that is well-behaved and remarkably water-resistant.

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

Don't bother with BSB, it's not that permanent, and it makes a hellish mess.

Sailor Sei-Boku is a dark blue, 100% waterproof when dry, permanent ink. On cotton, the blue component is more permanent than the black. It is, however pricey.

For a cheaper, dark blue, very permanent ink, there is 54th Mass, but it's nearly black.

There is also Upper Ganges Blue, which is a lighter blue that is very durable.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Thank you everyone for the post purchase comments. The more and more I looked at BSB, it seemed more trouble than it would be worth. Basically I was looking for an ink compatible with a Pilot metro with a nice royal blue similar to a Cross or Parker gel roller cartridge. Since I sometimes forget to close off my coffee tumbler and have the occasional spill, I wanted an ink that would withstand a spill from coffee, water and possibly anything else I might be drinking. I would also be signing checks with this pen so anti-fraud/tampering/forgery is also a concern.

RobbW: I remember some tests with BBK that water made it fade but still legible. Annoying how the term "bulletproof" has seemingly changed as Noodler lists BBK under bulletproof.

Hopefully BBK won't feather too much since I'll use my metro as a everyday writer and will be inking on various types of paper at work.

For those interested, I expect to receive my BBK today and will post my thoughts as soon as possible.

In the meantime, any additional comments are gladly welcomed.

May I suggest you look at this thread. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/278212-inky-t-o-d-color-swatches-blue-please-post-your-pictures-and-tell-us-your-thoughts/

Once you find a color you like, go read reviews.

One question I would have for you... where are you located? If you are in the US, I'd suggest looking at getting some samples from Goulet, AndersonPens or Isellpens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY